• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

therooster2001

Since I toasted my battery terminals, I swapped the battery. The other battery in the pair was about 1.5 years old, so I got a little nervous and went back up the next day to load test it, to both our surprise it was pulling 1020 cca and was 13.1v, so we both concluded fine to put next to the new one. I also put new zinc terminals on and ditched the lead ones.

IMG_2399.jpg

Also was worried about the two GP31's bouncing down the road and loosening the connections again so found an old thread where 74M had propped up the batteries on wood, then held the batteries down with one of the original J hooks, and some unistrut. I ended up using a piece of the mud flap hardware I had. Works beautiful. As I was nervous about the 1/2 inch raise, I put the old mud flap down on the batteries, which had the rubber protectors, just for final precaution. Works great.

IMG_2386.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hey bud check out you shocks a lot of times they will cause cuping also.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
10-4. I replaced my power steering cylinder since it had some slack in it. I had had some front end popping from the drivers front on hard turns. Ill check the tire wear after this trip.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
simple front end tire alignment can cause the cupping issue and you would also experience some wandering, but worn tie rod ends can do that too.
I got out my angles, string, and chalk and aligned her up. Going to do another 1000miles this week. See how she wears.

Amer-team

my 923 with the Goodyears had about 3/8 to 1/2 inch tow out and was a rascal to keep on Interstate 5 in some areas with ruts. after we got a bit of tow in, it calmed right down and handles very well now.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got out my angles, string, and chalk and aligned her up. Going to do another 1000miles this week. See how she wears.

You clearly drive these trucks way more than 97% of us.
What kind of tire tread life are you getting?
What other componets are you replacing and how often?
Air ride seat?
I am very curious.
I drive mine a lot (I thought) but not even remotely close to what you do.

You could actually start a new thread with this topic.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You clearly drive these trucks way more than 97% of us.
What kind of tire tread life are you getting?
What other componets are you replacing and how often?
Air ride seat?
I am very curious.
I drive mine a lot (I thought) but not even remotely close to what you do.

You could actually start a new thread with this topic.
I have put a about 15k on these XZLs. I have rotated a few times I still can hide a nickel in the treads. Tie rods and steering cylinder were the first thing besides normal maintenance. Yea i have an air ride seat. Best thing i ever invested in. Allows me to do 1000miles in 24hrs and still be able to walk afterwards.

gottaluvit

Entered mine in the local Barnesville Pumpkin Festival parade. It was the only MV, but the spectaters were none the less excited. All of the children loved the truck as well as most adults. They had approximately 3000 spectators, which is a big crowd for these parts. My mom rode shotgun in her teal cowgirl attire. Pictures were at lineup. We got there early so parking the setup in the line wouldn't be so rough.

20160924_122343.jpg
20160924_122356.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I use the angles on the rear tires to ensure they are not sitting not square cause the tandems do move sometimes.

WYomer

Replaced my PPB, bumped my fuel up 2 clicks, changed my oil, and took the dash apart to see whats up with no dash lights. Found some so-so grounds and fixed/reinstalled dash. less bouncing of gauges but still no dash lights.

Played a bit with the ABS but didnt have a ton of time.

8madjack

Took mine for a drive and filled the tanks, I had aired the tires for highway and it is much harsher and bouncy, think I'll air them back down, I putt around empty mostly. I need to buget time to chat whenever I stop, it's like a 1 truck parade :driver:

I did the boots and lh axle seal a couple of weeks ago with the help of a local guy, very reasonable and a good dude.

Ford Mechanic

I got the Pinion seal pulled out of the front side of the intermediate axle. Clean up tomarrow and reinstall hopefully.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

74M35A2

Took my 9-ball, WildChild467, and 2 other guys to a 20 mile minibike ride that was 1.5 hours away. I run a built Honda GX200 OHV (originally 6.5hp) on an Italian shifter kart @ 6400rpm 55mph (hydraulic disc brakes), WC is sporting a stock 3hp Briggs and knocking down 24mph @ 3600rpm on a mini that was his dads as a kid (no brakes). Here is a pic of the 9 stopped at a rest area on the way out there.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Took my 9-ball, WildChild467, and 2 other guys to a 20 mile minibike ride that was 1.5 hours away. I run a built Honda GX200 OHV (originally 6.5hp) on an Italian shifter kart @ 6400rpm 55mph (hydraulic disc brakes), WC is sporting a stock 3hp Briggs and knocking down 24mph @ 3600rpm on a mini that was his dads as a kid (no brakes). Here is a pic of the 9 stopped at a rest area on the way out there.
Oh, Man, I remember those years. A friend of mine in Fourth Grade had a minibike also with NO brakes.

How did we all get through riding those things without losing a buddy (or a leg!), somewhere along the way!?

Miracles: They ARE real!

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Lucky some deranged farmer didnt run it over with his combine. Or if Ray Charles was his co pilot

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks