• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

WYomer

Fluid looks fine, has no burnt smell. Trying to score a building to park it in to work so I don't have to deal with the rain. Pan getting dropped this weekend either way though. I did take the aux filter off by the cooler and it had no metal or anything like that in it.
Go figure rainy or Oregon LOL! Out of curiosity what fluid are you running?

Josh

Go figure rainy or Oregon LOL! Out of curiosity what fluid are you running?
I believe it is what ever the mil ran in it. Looks like motor oil, not ATF. I haven't really done a whole lot to the truck so far. I had only had it a week when when this issue showed up. It ran fine for the 400 miles I put on it though until the noise started.

kungfu dave

Just in case anyone is still interested... I finally got my IP back after the rebuild, mechanic put it in and the truck still didn't run! Bad primary pump. So we changed that and still nothing. Finally got fuel out of the pump though. Now, the injectors are heading out to OR so NEVRENUFHP can rebuild and hone them. Simp5782 says I should not be surprised as these trucks sat for years. Still stings though. On the brighter side, the Mrs. bought me an EGT/Boost kit from ThoseMilitaryGuys. Maybe I will get to use it someday. lol

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
To replace a 5 ton transmission easily and. Not have to fight with it. I took a set of jack stands and welded a steel bar across to connect them . Bolted a 3k winch to the bar. Cut the floor even with the access panel and basically make a second panel the equal size of the other. Allows easy top bellhousing access. Unbolt it. Transmission is easier to move suspended. I did the same thing on a crew cab A3 just went thru the shifter stand. Makes it about a 4 hour job to R&R. Then just weld a hinged door frame or a piece of metal over the cutout and reinstall the floor mat

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
The guy I work for wouldn't go for cutting the floor, I tried that.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I believe it is what ever the mil ran in it. Looks like motor oil, not ATF. I haven't really done a whole lot to the truck so far. I had only had it a week when when this issue showed up. It ran fine for the 400 miles I put on it though until the noise started.
It is 10w motor oil

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Josh,
If you have to swap, keep the old one for me for parts. If you get your trans running, send me some info on the good one you were going to swap into you 5 ton.

Just prior to the 4th of July weekend I was going up a decently steep grade on the way home from work and the M923 lugged down like it was loosing power.
Before I could pull off to the side, since it was all drainage ditch after a foot of gravel, I had a loud bang, felt a large thump and the air brakes engaged. I pulled on the parking brake, reluctantly turned off the engine, put on the flashers and got out to see trans fluid hemorrhaging and flowing down the grade. In between flagging groups of rush hour traffic, on the 2 lane road, around my derelict truck, I phoned a friend for a flat tow up the hill to safety, or at least a flat spot not blocking traffic where I could work on the rig.

After he arrived, we chained the trucks together and caged the brakes. He slow started to pull on the chains as I let off the parking brake.
Every foot or so there was a definite thud like the whole truck was jumping.
Turns out that the bolts that attach the torque converter housing to the engine had either snapped or been ripped out of the aluminum. I assume from trans fluid/oil starvation.
Also turns out, one of my friends notice that all of those bolts neatly fell into the frame rail that ran underneath the transmission. More likely what happend was, since I didn't check to see if all of the bolts were present in the bell housing, they were put in the channel as the trans was being worked on in the depot at Ft. Lewis and only a few were put in place, as some GI rushed the truck to Gov Liq's auction lineup. And those few didn't hold when stressed by the grade and loss of fluid.
The thump of course was the whole transmission, which was locked in gear to the transfer case, and free from the engine to spin along with the turning of the rear axles.

So as we were towing the truck to safety the whole trans was rotating under the truck. Making a thud every foot or so. Wrapping wires, hoses and the dipstick tightly around the trans housing until they snapped free.

Once in a safe spot we left the truck and drove home, picked up the full tool kit, tow bar, tow lights, straps, chains, slave air hoses and another M923.

Then spent a good 6 hours: supporting the weight of the trans under the truck, disconnection a short drive shaft to the transfer case, that wanted to spin the trans since it wasn't hooked to anything.
And with the drive shaft to the front axle to much in the way, wasn't able to get any real leverage to loosen the u-joint bolts. Un-caged the brakes, as we were going to slave the air lines to the towing truck. But then had to re-cage them as the spinning trans took out air shift hoses and was spewing air, while not building pressure. Then flat towed the truck 10 miles back to the house.
tow3.jpgtow2.jpgtow1.jpg
So now I either need parts to try and rework my spun trans or swap it out all together.

I am not in a hurry, as that M923 went to the end of the projects line, and the other M923 became my new favorite and is getting all the luv.
And as reward for its unyielding service in the face of adversity, the towing M923 got the other m923's dump kit install.
dump1.jpgdump2.jpgdump3.jpg

therooster2001

The thump of course was the whole transmission, which was locked in gear to the transfer case, and free from the engine to spin along with the turning of the rear axles.
What a story! It makes me want to check every bolt on my truck. It's not like that's on the recommended auction recovery check list. New batteries, check, fluids, check, install all transmission bolts, check..

It always amazes me the tenacity of SS members to fix / secure anything on the side of the road. This is another example of why people need multiple trucks, tow bars, and close friends.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a story! It makes me want to check every bolt on my truck. It's not like that's on the recommended auction recovery check list. New batteries, check, fluids, check, install all transmission bolts, check..

It always amazes me the tenacity of SS members to fix / secure anything on the side of the road. This is another example of why people need multiple trucks, tow bars, and close friends.
X2

Josh

Josh,
If you have to swap, keep the old one for me for parts. If you get your trans running, send me some info on the good one you were going to swap into you 5 ton.

Just prior to the 4th of July weekend I was going up a decently steep grade on the way home from work and the M923 lugged down like it was loosing power.
Before I could pull off to the side, since it was all drainage ditch after a foot of gravel, I had a loud bang, felt a large thump and the air brakes engaged. I pulled on the parking brake, reluctantly turned off the engine, put on the flashers and got out to see trans fluid hemorrhaging and flowing down the grade. In between flagging groups of rush hour traffic, on the 2 lane road, around my derelict truck, I phoned a friend for a flat tow up the hill to safety, or at least a flat spot not blocking traffic where I could work on the rig.

After he arrived, we chained the trucks together and caged the brakes. He slow started to pull on the chains as I let off the parking brake.
Every foot or so there was a definite thud like the whole truck was jumping.
Turns out that the bolts that attach the torque converter housing to the engine had either snapped or been ripped out of the aluminum. I assume from trans fluid/oil starvation.
Also turns out, one of my friends notice that all of those bolts neatly fell into the frame rail that ran underneath the transmission. More likely what happend was, since I didn't check to see if all of the bolts were present in the bell housing, they were put in the channel as the trans was being worked on in the depot at Ft. Lewis and only a few were put in place, as some GI rushed the truck to Gov Liq's auction lineup. And those few didn't hold when stressed by the grade and loss of fluid.

So as we were towing the truck to safety the whole trans was rotating under the truck. Making a thud every foot or so. Wrapping wires, hoses and the dipstick tightly around the trans housing until they snapped free.

Once in a safe spot we left the truck and drove home, picked up the full tool kit, tow bar, tow lights, straps, chains, slave air hoses and another M923.

Then spent a good 6 hours: supporting the weight of the trans under the truck, disconnection a short drive shaft to the transfer case, that wanted to spin the trans since it wasn't hooked to anything.
And with the drive shaft to the front axle to much in the way, wasn't able to get any real leverage to loosen the u-joint bolts. Un-caged the brakes, as we were going to slave the air lines to the towing truck. But then had to re-cage them as the spinning trans took out air shift hoses and was spewing air, while not building pressure. Then flat towed the truck 10 miles back to the house.
View attachment 647879View attachment 647880View attachment 647881
So now I either need parts to try and rework my spun trans or swap it out all together.

I am not in a hurry, as that M923 went to the end of the projects line, and the other M923 became my new favorite and is getting all the luv.
And as reward for its unyielding service in the face of adversity, the towing M923 got the other m923's dump kit install.
View attachment 647876View attachment 647877View attachment 647878
I will do that for sure if I have to replace it. Though I think brad has take outs for 550ea. If I need one, that's who I am buying it from.

Edit- Info on dump kit?!

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely check every bolt. Ya right....
I should have learned that lesson.I posted a recovery on here where I the bolts holding the fan pulley on the M813 I pulled out of Ft. Hill, Utah slowly back their way out, on the drive home.
I noticed that sweet smell of radiator fluid and the windshield started to fog up as I approached the Burley, ID exit.
Wound up spewing radiator fluid all over the ground after milling the inner face of the radiator away.
img_0941_108.jpgimg_0945_128.jpg
But some of us just can't seem to learn.

But its all good luck. At least it was able to get it home, get it fixed and gave me something to keep me busy.

Josh -

Thanks for the intel. I figured Brad was your source, but the broke 923 wasn't high enough on my list to start the search. And I didn't want to pass up a parts opportunity.

As for the dump kit is the C&C Equipment dump trailer kit.
Removal of the bed (that was it stacked on the tires in the 1st picture) & bumperettes, some notch cutting for the hinges, weld the hinges, flip the bed, re-enforce the the under frame of the bed with some box beam, weld the dump hoist cylinder to the frame, put the bed back on and weld the hoist to the bed, install the pump (24V) and Viola! dump bed.

Pretty straight forward, but a good amount of work, especially with a bum knee and and doctors restrictions on heavy lifting. Took about a weeks worth of time.

Josh

I'm feeling for you. Was going to do some work on it this weekend, but I have to fly to Cali this afternoon so the truck got put back on the waiting list. Next weekend is the project weekend hopefully. Sucks when life gets in the way of big green toys.

Another Ahab

I still think we need a Wow! imogee on here for some of this stuff. Maybe it is more efficient if the transmission spins too.
If you get the whole 5-ton spinning, then you could drive through mountain ranges and not worry about stuff like tunnels with all that mess and expense.

Of course you'd need the drilling kit instead of a fording kit. It's in the TM I bet.
Go for it! :driver::mrgreen:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks