• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

AMGeneral

I have worked on the M62A1 quite a bit this week to get it ready for the trip to Georgia on the 19th,( last time the wrecker left the yard was 2 years ago !).

Just minor stuff,replacing flex lines,changing oil and filters etc. I have a few tires to swap before the trip as well.

74M35A2

I added dual EGT thermocouples and turbo drive pressure (exhaust back pressure) tubes to the exhaust manifold of my 925A2. I drilled and tapped the turbo mounting flange so there is sufficient material to suppor the stainless fittings. Pressure tubes are not yet added in this pic, I need to bring home a 1/4" tubing bender first.

I hope to use the turbo drive pressure to help appropriately size a larger turbo if necessary once I begin to increase timing and fueling. The EGT thermocouples are 1/16" for fast response. It is just an 1/8" stainless T that the thermocouple passes through, and thus allows pressure to be read off the branch port of the T.

IMG_2472.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I added dual EGT thermocouples and turbo drive pressure (exhaust back pressure) tubes to the exhaust manifold of my 925A2. I drilled and tapped the turbo mounting flange so there is sufficient material to suppor the stainless fittings. Pressure tubes are not yet added in this pic, I need to bring home a 1/4" tubing bender first.
Is there any trick to drilling a cast piece like that, like is a regular high-speed bit okay or do you need carbide?

dmetalmiki

Well this weekend I am to change out both the transfer case and gearbox in my M54A2. BIG job..I'm getting psyched up for that task! Will post progress and pictures as we go.

WV New Guy

Used her for gravel but it was an event

Took the 5 ton for gravel today 3 1/2 tons no problem unloaded it ,went back for 5 ton to finish our new driveway . On the 2nd trip had the dreaded XL blow out , I was told by my senior peers as soon as I got the 923 last year ditch the XLs .

Wes and Will I was listening I got new tires to go on .

Was as trying to make it to the spring but not now .

will be mounting new ones soon.image.jpg

on the bright side we were only going 35 mph and the wife and I had the spare ready to go on in 10 minutes . A blown tire is rough to deal with took 3 of us to drag it and flip it in the back of the pick up.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Took the 5 ton for gravel today 3 1/2 tons no problem unloaded it ,went back for 5 ton to finish our new driveway . On the 2nd trip had the dreaded XL blow out , I was told by my senior peers as soon as I got the 923 last year ditch the XLs .

Wes and Will I was listening I got new tires to go on .

Was as trying to make it to the spring but not now .

will be mounting new ones soon.View attachment 648808

on the bright side we were only going 35 mph and the wife and I had the spare ready to go on in 10 minutes . A blown tire is rough to deal with took 3 of us to drag it and flip it in the back of the pick up.
You know you can always just bind the axle up with a chain and change the spare when you get home.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

WV New Guy

Yes sir I considered doing what you had to do a couple months back I was short on my chain come along and my binders they were in my pick up truck at the house . I was also a little concerned about having to climb the gravel road to our house.
Next trip I will make sure I have the chain ,binders and come-along with me . I had a so e ratchet straps but it just wasn't processing I was unsure I would get the axle up with all the weight on it . The rim left a good gouge in the berm pavement.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes sir I considered doing what you had to do a couple months back I was short on my chain come along and my binders they were in my pick up truck at the house . I was also a little concerned about having to climb the gravel road to our house.
Next trip I will make sure I have the chain ,binders and come-along with me . I had a so e ratchet straps but it just wasn't processing I was unsure I would get the axle up with all the weight on it . The rim left a good gouge in the berm pavement.
That or just keep a 8ft section of 3/8" chain. Jack it up and snatch hook it off. Don't have to bind it.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the M931A2 tractor and M871 trailer combo checked out to start hauling hay. Had one hub on the truck and one hub on the trailer frozen, requiring precise application of a 10lb sledge hammer to get them free. I've started the engine a few times, but haven't moved them in 4-5 months. Hauled one load yesterday, and will pick up another load tomorrow. Need to have enough on hand for the wife to feed while I'm gone to the GA Rally.

Tomorrow, I'll clean out the M925 to take to a friend's annual family get-together, jambalaya, clay shooting, and tannerite exploding target rifle shooting general bang/boom party. I'll use the M925 to give Army truck rides to the kids. Even though I'm not related, if I bring the truck I get to shoot all day and eat jambalaya and other great south LA foods.

Last edited:

gottaluvit

Got the M931A2 tractor and M871 trailer combo checked out to start hauling hay. Had one hub on the truck and one hub on the trailer frozen, requiring precise application of a 10lb sledge hammer to get them free. I've started the engine a few times, but haven't moved them in 4-5 months. Hauled one load yesterday, and will pick up another load tomorrow. Need to have enough on hand for the wife to feed while I'm gone to the GA Rally.

Tomorrow, I'll clean out the M925 to take to a friend's annual family get-together, jambalaya, clay shooting, and tannerite exploding target rifle shooting general bang/boom party. I'll use the M925 to give Army truck rides to the kids. Even though I'm not related, if I bring the truck I get to shoot all day and eat jambalaya and other great south LA foods.
Now that's one sweet deal!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Great info to know. Never knew that could be done.
A weight bounce can cause a pivot binder to come loose. 8ft of chain can be wrapped up and let the jack down then your good to go. 8ft of chain can hold your tailgate or sides up incase of a T handle failure. Also works as a safety chain on a trailer if it doesnt have one. It comes in handy as well sliding it behind the rear tires on the hub and pulling the tire/wheel off the hub. My xl failure at 60. 20160425_084259.jpeg20160424_203042.jpeg

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wes, Could you do a quick thread on this? Seems to have a good bit of interest and I know I for one would like to bookmark that one.
A weight bounce can cause a pivot binder to come loose. 8ft of chain can be wrapped up and let the jack down then your good to go. 8ft of chain can hold your tailgate or sides up incase of a T handle failure. Also works as a safety chain on a trailer if it doesnt have one. It comes in handy as well sliding it behind the rear tires on the hub and pulling the tire/wheel off the hub. My xl failure at 60. View attachment 648827View attachment 648828

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wes, Could you do a quick thread on this? Seems to have a good bit of interest and I know I for one would like to bookmark that one.
I've actually got to do it to a disabled truck here in a day or two and ill make a video.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also cut some good blocking to fit nicely inside your bed frame rails. The last time I drove about 30 miles with a tire chained up, the chain crushed the top flange of the frame rail pretty bad, even though I was empty.

TCD

A weight bounce can cause a pivot binder to come loose. 8ft of chain can be wrapped up and let the jack down then your good to go. 8ft of chain can hold your tailgate or sides up incase of a T handle failure. Also works as a safety chain on a trailer if it doesnt have one. It comes in handy as well sliding it behind the rear tires on the hub and pulling the tire/wheel off the hub. My xl failure at 60. View attachment 648827View attachment 648828

Howdy simp5782,

Did you pull the axle before driving the chained up truck or was that a separate issue?

All info Greatly Appreciated!

Tom

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Howdy simp5782,

Did you pull the axle before driving the chained up truck or was that a separate issue?

All info Greatly Appreciated!

Tom
Pulled it to keep it from spinning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks