• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Another Ahab

Got the Toyota Supra seats installed in the M1088 MTV and just have to prep the cab floor and paint. Put the padding back and move on to the next problem. Think who ever took the dang truck mudding and milked the rear axle it might have caused a bearing/race to go FUBAR. Thing is it is so easy to check for water in any axle or our front knuckles. Lazy Lazy Lazy people!!!!!!!!!!
Hey!

Who are you calling lazy?!

lazy-people-fact.jpg

AMGeneral

I replaced the speedometer adapter on the M51A1 as well as both poppets for the winch drum and cable tensioner locks.

Then I took it out for a drive to check the speedometer,now it makes it all the way to 52 mph instead of stopping at 32 mph.

I also installed 2 new wiper arms and blades and replaced the passenger side fuel tank cap.

Getting it ready for the new owner.

Last week I replaced the transfer case to rear axle driveshaft(bad U joints) and the rear transfer case output shaft bearing on the M62A1 wrecker,both of which failed my pre-trip for the GA rally.

Last edited:

Jakelc15

Just finished replacing a front axle seal and boot.

How many of you have dropped the balls? It's been so long since I did one I forgot how much fun it was!
Almost ready for winter.

Grimm21

I did my first oil change on my m923 today and replaced the old cartridge filter with a new spin on adapter kit from scar59. I did run into a small problem I missed a old gasket well stuck in place and stuck the new one on over top and presto a big leak when I fired it but thanks to my dad who was checking on thing when I started her up I was able to shut down fast and get a pan under her to catch the mess and start over tareing it apart to find my screw up. This has been a real learning experience for me and my dad since I bought the beast and it's not over next weekend is a seal replacement.

Another Ahab

I also installed 2 new wiper arms and blades and replaced the passenger side fuel tank cap.
I was reading somewhere that silicon-rubber wiper blades last about ten times longer than regular rubber at way less than ten times the cost.

In other words: they're the ones to buy.

The issue is that you won't find them in stores (stores can't make any money selling them because nobody who buys them ever needs to buy more).

So you can only get them on-line or at specialty places.

That's what I read anyway.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Rotated on two new tires to the rear tandem. One to a spare. I had one blowout the other day up in Illinois. Think it was due to some roadkill debris. Passengers front tandem. It was a pretty much shred with about 50 percent tread left. Luckily i went to a Y type gladhand setup so i could utilize the truck air tank and the 10gal trailer air tanks on the m322 for running the 1 inch gun. Took me around 20mins to do it.

Put my heater box back in and installed new shut off valves.

Swapped the passengers side 55gal M931 tank to a standard 80 gal tank.

Changed the oil and greased everything. And windexed all the windows. Ran compressed air thru the air ducts to blow them all out. I am going to rig up a type of filter for the incoming air. For the heater.

Going to get the 3/4" impact out tomorrow and check all the suspension nuts and bolts. 20161029_190308.jpeg20161029_190300.jpeg20161026_133327.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Jakelc15

I wish I would have anti seized the screw in the access plate under the drivers feet 4 years ago when I had it open last!
Put a rivnut in and a SS bolt with antiseize. Sprayed some rusty metal primer in there and went to the beer store. No noise from the new PTO and the hub I just resealled stayed cool. Also checked the glow plug for this winter. A pretty good day. Always more on the list to do but got a little done today.

Another Ahab

I wish I would have anti seized the screw in the access plate under the drivers feet 4 years ago when I had it open last!
Put a rivnut in and a SS bolt with antiseize. Sprayed some rusty metal primer in there and went to the beer store. No noise from the new PTO and the hub I just resealled stayed cool. Also checked the glow plug for this winter. A pretty good day. Always more on the list to do but got a little done today.

a-journey-of-a-thousand-miles-begins-with-a-single-step-inspirational-quote.gif

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Coolant change. Block heater. I must have been up and down on the tire about 35 times. Sore back. At least I got to drive the big guy.
Yea i made a tire step. Got old really quick. Or i fold the mirror and step around

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Josh

Sourced a building to go swap the trans in my M925. Its slated for demolition in a few weeks. I have a feeling it is a tad bit to short length wise to fit, so I got permission to cut a hole in the back wall for the bumper to fit through if needed. Otherwise is it is plenty tall and wide. Goal is to have the trans pulled before this weekend. I got a line on a good take out that I can go get this weekend and hope to have the truck back on the road within a week after.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks