• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Another Ahab

Your right on the part number. But the bolts I pulled out were 5/8" x 1.25". It is a fine thread, 5/8 x 18TPI bolt. Cummins wants 42 bucks a bolt. Im going to tap the threads another 1/4in to 1/2in into the crank to put a longer bolt.

:shock::3dAngus: What's THAT all about?!

Are they made of hand-machined titanium or something?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:shock::3dAngus: What's THAT all about?!

Are they made of hand-machined titanium or something?
You ought to see the prices of helicopter parts.
Some critical bolts are over $8000 each.
One bearing the diameter of a coke can is over $15k

Cummins Factory parts are pricey, but usually the best quality.
Its easier to argue an issue when you have used nothing but factory OEM parts.

Another Ahab

You ought to see the prices of helicopter parts.
Some critical bolts are over $8000 each.
One bearing the diameter of a coke can is over $15k
I guess the "Jesus Nut" on the old Huey's would be one of those.
That's a piece of hardware you wouldn't trust to pick up at the discount store. :naner:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually the "Main Rotor Blade Retention Nut" (If I remember correctly) aka Jesus Nut, isn't priced anywhere close to that.
It's about, or was, $1500 or so.
The lift link is very critical and priced Accordingly.
Been a long time since I flew a Huey.
That's what I learned to fly in at Mother Rucker.

They have pictures of one JN that failed at liftoff.
As soon as the guys pulled pitch, it failed and the whole rotor system flew off and up.
Landed a short distance away.
Rest of helo was just sitting there and a bare rotor mast sticking up.
Anyway......

I will stick with factory Cummins parts whenever possible. Critical parts that is.
More $$ up front, but worth it in the long run.
The exception is "proven" aftermarket items that meet/exceed OEM Standards and Specs.
I know a lot of guys on this site prove it everyday.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

They have pictures of one JN that failed at liftoff.
As soon as the guys pulled pitch, it failed and the whole rotor system flew off and up.
Landed a short distance away.
Rest of helo was just sitting there and a bare rotor mast sticking up.
Anyway......
It has to be SO much better to lose the "JN" at lift-off, instead of at ceiling:

- That must have happened to somebody somewhere sometime, but it plain just couldn't be good at all. :shock:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are nice looking welds.

It looks like somebody's done this kind of thing once or twice before. [thumbzup]

Is that your work?
The original plan was for the guy to bring his truck to OK and we'd mount the bed there.

As it worked out, it was just better for me to deliver the bed. So the cutting down, rewelding, and painting was done in OK. Then I delivered the bed and we placed it on his truck. We then designed brackets to grab existing bolt holes in the truck frame and I welded them to the bed today. This way there is no permanent alteration to the truck itself, just the bed.

All the welds are mine. The paintjob is rustoleum rattlecan.

Today's welding was the most difficult of the whole thing - an awkward reach, and vertical welds. I did them in 2 passes, once with 6010, and a 2nd pass with 7018.

I really like this configuration of the 5ton trucks. It would probably be my first choice. The shorter wheelbase makes a tremendous difference in maneuverability.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the batteries and hold downs. Hadn't realized how much the old ones were struggling to start it.

Wow, big difference.

WP_20161113_18_41_32_Pro.jpg

Josh

Got one of my broken crank/flex plate bolts out today. The other one is fighting something fierce. Broke two taps, and an easy out. Got it to budge, but ran out tools to remove it tonight. Going to buy a bigger drill bit and a bigger easy out tomorrow. Other wise ran a tap and cleaned up the other 5 bolt holes. Hopefully I can get this 6th one out, if not, I really don't like the idea of running 5 bolts but will I have to. I can't afford a new crank at this point. Only time will tell.

big block 88

New/old/found heater core is holding tight. It was slightly different on the hook ups but it works and doesnt leak. Final plumbing is finished on the heater core and the spin on filter for the coolant.

Still need to remove the MASSIVE power cable that used to go to the generator but now im running wolverines alternator kit and no long need the monster cable so i need to fish it out and remove the cable and seal the control box up thats under the passenger side fender.

Our redneck homemade winter front is on and im happy with it. Just a peace of plywood and some OD vinyl and staples. It leaves the top most 1" open for some air flow and it comes off with a pair of side cutters.

Attachments

Blarsen

Yup it is a M923A2 that had the stock hx40 turbo and the 4 inch air intake that restricts the last few feet of intake (5" most of the way) The new turbo whistles loudly and sounds great!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks