• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Josh

Pulled the valve body off my new take out trans that was stuck in reverse. Full of rusty water. Going to pull the valve body out of my other trans tomorrow and install it and see if the rest of that trans is in good shape. If not looks like I'm pulling the transmission again. Least I'm starting to become an expert at this. And for those worried about pulling the valve body on you truck, It took us less then 20 minutes from pulling the pan to having the body on the ground. Super simple.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Started running hot suddenly while towing empty. I think the waterpump is the likely culprit. Plastic impeller grenaded. Few pieces stuck in the backplate were fun to get out. Replaced it with a metal one. The dang plate was stuck to it so i left it on.

Also replaced my heater core with the 398010 style. Burns me out even on low. Replaced a few air lines on the truck that were leaking sometimes.

Replaced all the brakes and S cams on my M322 trailer. 20161128_204600.jpeg//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/583cf804d0b19/20161128_202931.jpeg?
20161125_121723.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Got my other electric fan installed. Its enough air that with the truck turned off the fan gets up to pretty good speed. Fans ran 30mins today with the truck off and didn't even slow the batteries down. 6amp draw on each. Along with a set of tow hooks on the bottom. I also installed one of the push button master light switches. Installed it all right, unhooked battery, ground down the paint on the frame, bolted it with a new bolt. Got it all in and it worked flawlessly for about 30mins then nothing. Light lights up for mode then enter. What I selected flashes briefly and goes out. No lights working at all, turn signal lights up on the switch but nothing exterior. Will mess with it again this week.
Here is the post

24v fans. 16inch Found on amazon made by flexalite. The part number is in the parts spreadsheet. I have mine hooked to two manual switches in the dash. They run all the time.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Sweet item there that you're hauling (including your own hauling train)! But what it is that you're hauling is not looking familiar.

Is that a tracked recovery vehicle of some kind, or is that combat armor?
Fv436 like dmetalmiki has as his avatar

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had this bracket for about a year now and never knew what it went on. It was new but didn't have a box, and I didn't see any numbers on it. I did a little picture research last night, so I could list it in the classifieds, and found out it was for my truck. So...it never went up for sale because I installed it today, with a little paint to match.

Now it seems I'm in the market for an antenna. Funny how that works. I have no clue about antennas though. Would somebody help me out with the model number of the proper antenna to fit this bracket so I can begin my search? I think there is a base of some sort that goes with it too? No need for information on radio stuff. Definitely don't want to go down that road. That's a whole other hobby in itself. A antenna on an old Signal Battalion truck will suit me just fine.

20161202_135905.jpg

Another Ahab

Now it seems I'm in the market for an antenna. Funny how that works. I have no clue about antennas though. Would somebody help me out with the model number of the proper antenna to fit this bracket so I can begin my search? I think there is a base of some sort that goes with it too? No need for information on radio stuff. Definitely don't want to go down that road. That's a whole other hobby in itself. A antenna on an old Signal Battalion truck will suit me just fine.
You don't know what you're missing!

I grew up with a guy whose Dad was original OSS in China which naturally led to a career in the "Agency". We didn't know it at the time, but he's long dead and we know it now. He was an old school radio operator and ended up HAM, me and my buddy had all kinds of fun messing with radios and Morse speed keys and stuff.

Maybe you'll change your mind.... :jumpin:

M934A2

I finally installed a anti-freeze filter on my M923A2, it was allot of fun and first time I tested it no leaks. I thought a picture would bring it to life, as well as any helpful hints or concerns are always appreciated.

It makes me feel allot better, :clinto:
Any closer up pics of how and where you mounted it.
I have one sitting on my workbench but don't see a good place to stick it.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't know what you're missing!

I grew up with a guy whose Dad was original OSS in China which naturally led to a career in the "Agency". We didn't know it at the time, but he's long dead and we know it now. He was an old school radio operator and ended up HAM, me and my buddy had all kinds of fun messing with radios and Morse speed keys and stuff.

Maybe you'll change your mind.... :jumpin:
Well Ahab, I have been into that hobby before, just on the civilian side. I started dabbling in CBs in my teens. During my 16 years in Fire/Rescue I got into UHF/VHF radios pretty heavily...excessively. Towards the end of that, the radio equipment in my vehicle was worth more than the vehicle itself...and I wasn't driving a clunker by any means. I then moved onto repeater networks and started hanging out at the local Kenwood dealer in my spare time learning the technical side. Spent a large fortune getting in the hobby and made a small fortune getting out. I try to make my hobbies break even, if they end, but this one was far from it.

I'm not familiar with military radio equipment, and don't intend to be, because I might get that radio bug again. A simple, non-operational antenna will suit me just fine. :mrgreen:

Lindsey97 sent me a PM with the information I need. The AS-3900 is the proper antenna, but as it turns out, it won't do well for me. With the amount of time I spend in the woods and trails, it wouldn't last very long even when tied back since it's fiberglass. I'm considering making one of those short tube looking antennas like the MRAPs have. It would have a much lower profile and update the appearance a little I reckon. Sorta like this, but down on the fender and without the extension tube.

DSC00329.jpg

Spyderman

Well Ahab, I have been into that hobby before, just on the civilian side. I started dabbling in CBs in my teens. During my 16 years in Fire/Rescue I got into UHF/VHF radios pretty heavily...excessively. Towards the end of that, the radio equipment in my vehicle was worth more than the vehicle itself...and I wasn't driving a clunker by any means. I then moved onto repeater networks and started hanging out at the local Kenwood dealer in my spare time learning the technical side. Spent a large fortune getting in the hobby and made a small fortune getting out. I try to make my hobbies break even, if they end, but this one was far from it.

I'm not familiar with military radio equipment, and don't intend to be, because I might get that radio bug again. A simple, non-operational antenna will suit me just fine. :mrgreen:

Lindsey97 sent me a PM with the information I need. The AS-3900 is the proper antenna, but as it turns out, it won't do well for me. With the amount of time I spend in the woods and trails, it wouldn't last very long even when tied back since it's fiberglass. I'm considering making one of those short tube looking antennas like the MRAPs have. It would have a much lower profile and update the appearance a little I reckon. Sorta like this, but down on the fender and without the extension tube.

View attachment 656425
When I had my hummer I put the military antennas on it asks used my ham radio in it. The antenna was tuned perfect for the ham. I used it for search and rescue.

Sent from my webslinger!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
any of the antenna will mount to the "universal" sugar scoop. The as3916 uses a metal whip so you can cut it down to any length. I had the as3900 with the 2 piece fiberglass but had problems with it hanging up on trees since I went to super singles. Actually cracked one base section. I have now have a shorter base and whip

they can be found on ebay cheaper. I picked up the same kit for $60.

* Update* Just picked up 2 more for a make offer of $40 each. fleapay item 291963945072 or search MK-2520A Whip Antenna 420-450 Mhz AS-3449/VSQ-1 HAM Tactical Vehicle Rapid Radio

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...-mk-2520a-tactical-whip-antenna-new?a=2047972

Last edited:

big block 88

A few questions on the antennas and specs. I know nothing of radios of any kind but i have been looking high and low for a whip for the base i have and cant find one for what i deem decent money. What i would like to do is run my cb through the whip but im unsure of the connection, operating range, will work with a civy cb?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks