• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Another Ahab

Dumb question most likely, but what is the reasoning behind blocking the license plate number. People see mine on the highway and I always wondered why they get blurred on TV and internet.
I just do it as a matter of habit, just as a privacy thing out of courtesy. It's apparently the law in parts of Europe, but maybe that's going overboard (we might all have WAY too many laws on the books).

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought SS was rather open and gave real name and location when I signed up. Is the trust that I thought members of SS had, turning to secrecy? Has any member of this site had their personal information hijacked?

I understand the reasoning of blocking plates, but lament the declining level of trust on SS and the world. CYA I guess.
I tend to give real names and location also. Except reddit. Because reddit.

In general, we live in a world where information that you would gladly share with people can now be shared with more people. Many more. A conversation you'd have had with a bunch of guys around the water cooler at NAPA now can be had on a forum like SS. Except at NAPA you could see the 4 shady dudes trying to listen in while pretending to be enthralled by the different windshield washer fluids. Now you don't know, and can't tell.

It's not that people are worse today than in the past, it's that technology has lowered the barrier to obtaining information that has always been out there, but now can be easily retrieved and queried en-mass. In under 5 years we (as a nation) will be deploying cameras at every intersection that will record every vehicle passing and storing that data forever. In a way that can be queried by plate, color, vehicle type... "Where was Toby last Thursday? Oh, here, and then here, and he stopped at Kroger for milk. Huh. He normally goes to Meijer." This exists already today, but the deployment is more spotty than it will be (And some of the current camera's just aren't HD enough to read plates). I predict best part is that private companies will pay for the camera's install in exchange for getting access to the feeds to build their own databsases of where people are and then sell that data.

Now of course, I'm not that interesting of a person so no one really wants to follow me. But people should understand how easy it is becoming to access every bit of anything "public" about them.

big block 88

I longingly looked out the window at the 925 sitting there plugged in covered in ice. I have been working 7 day weeks at work to help pass the time in the winter and i have decided if my job here ever goes away i will be out of this **** state as fast as possible. I think after 30 years i have had enough with the **** weather and terrible state govt. you know you suck as governor if you ranked worste in the nation, let a lone worse than a govt that was knowingly pumping crappy water to its citizens

Another Ahab

I longingly looked out the window at the 925 sitting there plugged in covered in ice. I have been working 7 day weeks at work to help pass the time in the winter and i have decided if my job here ever goes away i will be out of this **** state as fast as possible. I think after 30 years i have had enough with the **** weather and terrible state govt. you know you suck as governor if you ranked worste in the nation, let a lone worse than a govt that was knowingly pumping crappy water to its citizens
I can imagine the weather is rough in wintertime (no trees to stop the wind), but I didn't know the State has its issues, too. But then I guess every State probably does.

big block 88

Yeah google gov sam brownback. Its contract year at work so we shall see what the future holds. I love michigan but waaaay too many democraps.

Maybe tx or arizona. We cant even get a decent winter storm, cold and dreary but no snow. Summer is just hot and ungodly humid.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Did some tire swapping on an old M54. Used my 931 with its air compressor mounted on its rear. And the handy excavator instead of using jacks. Had to add some eye candy. Yes that is a big pile of mulch in the background.
https://youtu.be/yVnojsnNSrs
20170115_152235.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Maybe tx or arizona. We cant even get a decent winter storm, cold and dreary but no snow. Summer is just hot and ungodly humid.
Check out, AZ!

I got a buddy in Tucson who moved out there for the ice hockey, believe it or not (one of the hottest new players in the NHL now grew up playing there; playing for Toronto I think).

And then we used to catch snakes together as kids, and he still does. Here's the latest pic he sent me; he found this immature Western Diamondback under a neighbor's shrub (he's always looking for something to catch).

It's five-ton country!

Diamondback.jpg

Last edited:

big block 88

So the original hood was just beat to **** then? I have moved them around before and i know they arent light by any means i cant imagine tryin to place it and bolt ot without the skid steer or hoist.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks