• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Finally got to removing my smashed hard top along with my windshield frame, come to find out it damaged a bit of my cab. So now to hunt down another 939 cab.
South has a rust free one there in Cookeville. Just needs to be taken off.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Excuse my ignorance but why are we taking the run flats out? Can they be reused after that 15 seconds or are we throwing them out anyway?
They suck Dave. Your beadlock insert will help you keep the tire on the rim at low pressure. The run flat is good if you are taking debris and gun shots to the tires to get you out of trouble but you only need that in the inner cities. Plus they cause vibration and balancing problems.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My runflats ride smooth. I seem to be the exception though from what I've read.

I left mine in because I'm in the deep woods and on the hills or side slopes a good bit. Some pictures are a couple pages back. A full flat tire down there would likely leave me stuck and it'd be about impossible to change a tire down there, not that'd I'd want to even if it wasn't. Soft ground with no flat areas does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling when a tire needs to be changed on a truck currently weighing 27,000#.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
My runflats ride smooth. I seem to be the exception though from what I've read.

I left mine in because I'm in the deep woods and on the hills or side slopes a good bit. Some pictures are a couple pages back. A full flat tire down there would likely leave me stuck and it'd be about impossible to change a tire down there, not that'd I'd want to even if it was. Soft ground with no flat areas does not give me a warm fuzzy fuzzyeeling when a tire needs to he changed on a truck currently weighing 27,000#.
You need the weight distribution mat that you can use on soft ground that displaces the weight on the jack and doesnt let it sink.

big block 88

Mine ride great too. No vibration or shaking.

IMO i want my truck inner city ready in case i need to go in to scavenge for supplies if the shtf. With these anti trump folks we may be on the brink of it any way lol.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need the weight distribution mat that you can use on soft ground that displaces the weight on the jack and doesnt let it sink.

I've got the stuff to do it, just not something I care to do. I'd much rather make it to the flat field to swap a tire if I have too. The weight of the truck is one thing...swapping 500# tire/wheels on sloping ground, leaves, rocks, mud is another.

Mine ride great too. No vibration or shaking.

IMO i want my truck inner city ready in case i need to go in to scavenge for supplies if the shtf. With these anti trump folks we may be on the brink of it any way lol.
That SHFT talk is going to get us in trouble. Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes them though.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Replaced my fuel filter. Drained and refilled my transfer case after a 2,000mi break in period. Got the grease gun after my truck and trailer.
Got both of my new mirrors installed.
Replaced my first bypass oil filter at 2,000miles. I will get it cut open tomorrow and check the contents. The oil color has changed a good bit. At 5hrs on it before the bypass it was just pure black. At 30hrs on the bypass filter it is starting to turn back the tint of new oil just a bit.

Attachments

Last edited:

71DeuceAK

Wes, I always enjoy reading your posts, since you drive yours so much! As someone who plans on driving mine I'm getting quite a bit, frankly going for the million miles the NHC250 is rated for, I'm always curious how things actually finally wear out on these!

Replaced my fuel filter. Drained and refilled my transfer case after a 2,000mi break in period. Got the grease gun after my truck and trailer.
Got both of my new mirrors installed.
Replaced my first bypass oil filter at 2,000miles. I will get it cut open tomorrow and check the contents. The oil color has changed a good bit. At 5hrs on it before the bypass it was just pure black. At 30hrs on the bypass filter it is starting to turn back the tint of new oil just a bit.
Just curious where'd you get the mirrors the factory ones leave a little to be desired especially being 6'5". I can't seem to be able to adjust them to not have to bend down to see out them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just curious where'd you get the mirrors the factory ones leave a little to be desired especially being 6'5". I can't seem to be able to adjust them to not have to bend down to see out them

They are unitruck #7184. They are convex so they cover alot of area. I got them off ebay for 35$ each. They work on left or right. You can also put them wider out for towing. Part #7185 are 24v heated mirrors.

They are unitruck #7184. They are convex so they cover alot of area. I got them off ebay for 35$ each. They work on left or right. You can also put them wider out for towing. Part #7185 are 24v heated mirrors.

Thanks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I also swapped to LED clearence lamps. I painted them black just waiting for them to dry. 20170130_103557.jpg20170130_103551.jpg

Last edited:

twisted60

Finished installing LED turn and tail/stop light, already installed the side LED markers.
IMG_2946.jpgIMG_2947.jpgIMG_2948.jpg
Tomorrow I'll install my new exhaust from TMG, and do a little write up.

twisted60

The rear tail/stop light are Grote LED Brake Lights, I had the lights but needed buckets, 162tcat came to the rescue and helped me out with the buckets. The front are Truck Lite LED amber. All are military style, the Grote's bolted right to the old military buckets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks