• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

gottaluvit

Replaced the 2 batteries I've been running on for a couple years with 4 new batteries. The others weren't bad but will move on to another project. NAPA Commercial #7237 Group 31 batteries $94/battery.

The hold down I had made for 2 batteries won't work here so I made some more. Just a couple of pieces of flat bar with adhesive backed rubber on the bottom for grip. I used a couple of the original rods to secure them.

I thought I was going to be making new connector cables tonight, but to my surprise, all the originals worked out. Went around checking my wiring with a DVM with the PCB unplugged. Everything checked good, plugged the PCB back up and done.

Warning: For those who might go to these batteries, they will be within 1/4" of contacting the lid of the battery box. The wood spacers under the batteries are double stacked, then glued together. Take them out and split them apart. This will give you plenty of room on the top.

View attachment 664847
So did it crank the engine noticably faster?

tobyS

Ordered the shaft kit for changing the Chelsea PTO to a direct mount pump and also a 17 gpm pump. Will post pictures when parts come. This is the old style PTO that is 1/2" shorter (from the mounting surface) than the new model PTO. The Chelsea rep says the new kit, with flange, will work in the old style (shorter) PTO. Note that my PTO is the same as most 939 series with hydraulics (which now is considered obsolete), driven by a driveshaft, so this kit and pump should work on any that has room. I have NOS PTO listed in classified and will put one up complete when I have all the components. Here is the PTO.

Attachments

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't really comment on that since it was about 56° when I started it. My truck will start by just looking at the start switch down to about 40°. I'll have to wait for a colder morning to test it out.

I have a digital volt gauge on the dash. I can see the larger loads, like the blower motor and all the auxillary lights, don't pull the voltage down near as much when first turned on. I really want to see the numbers when using the winch but that won't be till next weekend. That was the main reason for going back to four batteries. Round 2 of Swamp Donkey vs. Big Ol' Tree will kick off next Saturday. I've made some upgrades to even the playing field.

I put some proper ends on the extension for the winch line so I can do some real pulling.

20170203_225033.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

four group 31s doesn't do much noticeably on spinning it faster. It just wont kill them on those long starts or cold morning. A starter from Clint will make it spin faster I am sure.

twisted60

Installed new LED instrument back lights, now I can read my gauges while driving at night.
IMG_2980.jpg Removed old buld and installed new LEDIMG_2979.jpg Result IMG_2982.jpg

Also took my baby out for a drive in the bushes...IMG_2961.jpgIMG_2963.jpg

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can I get a little help fellas? This threaded port is on the driver side, either at the back of the motor or the front of the tranny. When I switched mechanics, "Frank" showed up with nothing in that opening. The threads are clean so obviously something went there but we are not sure what. Plug, sensor, etc... M939A2, 8.3 cummins Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am hoping to actually drive Frank next week for the first time. SMH
:driver:!!!
Finger tight, red plastic plug in my 1991 M925A2IMG_3427.jpg It's 1/2" ORBIMG_3428.jpgthe dash size is -8 which is a 3/4-16 thread.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to easily find them local, if not let me know I can send you mine. I'v got some steel plugs here I can put in my bell housing.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYIIMG_3430.jpgPicture looking into the hole at the starter ring gear. Make sure the plug you get is not too long. IMG_3431.jpgI cant get a good depth measurement but this is how long mine is.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or in the bins in my garage... 90 years and 3 generations worth of junk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks