• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 5 in. top stack came powder coated, but the coating started to let go. So, I had it sandblasted in addition to the heat shield (had a lot of old paint built up on it). I blacked out the whole system using a high temperature paint. That required removing everything all the way to the header. Did a little surface rust clean up prior to painting and replaced both flange gaskets and hardware for the muffler. Two of the stainless header flange bolts were galled and required cutting out. The new hardware is Grade 8 with anti-seize applied. No more stainless as it is prone to galling. I also remove the rear heater support bracket.
I like the new look!
IMG_1231.jpgIMG_1238.jpgIMG_1234.jpgIMG_1232.jpgIMG_1233.jpg

I visited one one of my old trucks yesterday that I fixed up painted and sold, and it was a mess. All the windows were open, master switch on, batteries dead, had been run into a tree, front turn signal light and quarter panel bent. It made me sad, because this truck was the most solid truck I have ever owned, including the one I currently have. I see that it will be a junk pile in a year. :(

EXACTLY the reason I will always be apprehensive to sell my truck!

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Decided to tackle axle seal and boot replacement on my '90 M923a2, what a job
Good work!
Hey, Brother, not trying to pick a nit here. However, I think we'd all feel a little better if you did not use a bottle jack for primary support while working under the beast. Please, use wood cribbing or a nice, hefty jack stand. We don't want to see any more statistics :shock:.
Just looking out for you.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Good work!
Hey, Brother, not trying to pick a nit here. However, I think we'd all feel a little better if you did not use a bottle jack for primary support while working under the beast. Please, use wood cribbing or a nice, hefty jack stand. We don't want to see any more statistics :shock:.
Just looking out for you.
No offense taken at all, not pictured is my buddies truck almost bumper to bumper with the winch hooked up and tight for a secondary fall back

Another Ahab

Good work!
Hey, Brother, not trying to pick a nit here. However, I think we'd all feel a little better if you did not use a bottle jack for primary support while working under the beast. Please, use wood cribbing or a nice, hefty jack stand. We don't want to see any more statistics

Absolutely. Nobody wants anybody hurt. You know?!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
16.00's and HEMTT wheels and a full tank of diesel for a friends truck. He didn't even know we were doing it. He was at work, and we were hard at work all day.
IMG_8648.jpg

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, um ... no.

Still have my two trucks to go.

Speaking of these 16.00's. We have beadlocks in them. Is there any reason to run them at 80 psi? I might have to have back surgery after driving this one back to its base last night. What a beatdown. What psi are you guys running in your 16.00's?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
35 to 50 on the rear empty and 65-70 on the front. The tire is rated for 11,000lbs at max pressure and the rear of your truck is equal in weight to one of their capacity. They are stiff. Drop em down or add a 6ft x 12ft x 1" thick steel plate to the bed and keep em at 60/65

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
35 to 50 on the rear empty and 65-70 on the front. The tire is rated for 11,000lbs at max pressure and the rear of your truck is equal in weight to one of their capacity. They are stiff. Drop em down or add a 6ft x 12ft x 1" thick steel plate to the bed and keep em at 60/65
That's some serious ballast!

At roughly 1/4 Lb/cubic inch that would be 2500+ Lbs...... Serious dead weight alright.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That's some serious ballast!

At roughly 1/4 Lb/cubic inch that would be 2500+ Lbs...... Serious dead weight alright.
Yea but its only 1inch off the bed so its not taking up space. I have 3 of them welded together. Comes in handy for having to towbar a wrecker.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any issues with them loosing air pressure at these low numbers like 35 psi? Are you running beadlocks? I am going to in all mine. I'll tell you, I have never had such a wild bucking uncomfortable ride like I did for the first 15 minutes with these at 80 psi. It was unbearable!

It made me rethink putting 16.00's on mine if I had to keep it at 80 psi.

Any other replies on pressure in your 16.00's is welcome. Thanks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Any issues with them loosing air pressure at these low numbers like 35 psi? Are you running beadlocks? I am going to in all mine. I'll tell you, I have never had such a wild bucking uncomfortable ride like I did for the first 15 minutes with these at 80 psi. It was unbearable!

It made me rethink putting 16.00's on mine if I had to keep it at 80 psi.

Any other replies on pressure in your 16.00's is welcome. Thanks.
I run beadlocks and run flats. They arent going to lose pressure unless you have a hole in them or bad oring. Those 16.00s could have 10psi of air in them and they wouldnt buldge. 10 to 15psi is off-road pressure.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Installed two, 16inch electric fan. I know they arent straight but its the only way they would fit. Made some new channel runs for my windows, adjusted the window stops so the windows didnt have a slight bow anymore, tinted the windows, spray foamed some of the hollow spots in the cab. Had an 8D go bad so i replaced it since it had a warranty. Hauled some air dropped junk SEEs20170523_125555.jpg20170523_115833.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks