• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

someoldmoose

Coffey1, looks awesome ! Is that the approved pattern from the TMs ? Not saying it matters, just never saw one taped and painted using all the little pick-up points so quickly.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No I had a picture of another truck and free handed it and changed it a little so it has it's own unique camo finger print.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still have a little more to do ran out of black.
Needs a little on passenger back side of cab.
Tail gate
And I think I will do the bed also

Mos68x

Installed the bed crane from HF that I had purchased a few days ago. I'm not happy with where the holes ended up so I'll most likely go back later when I have enough bolts that are long enough. I missed the bed support by an inch or so so I can't use the angle iron included for that one bolt, but the other two have the angle iron bracing at least.IMG_7482.jpg

At least now I can load the spare tire on my own without assistance and any other heavy loads (within reason). I did buy the hand winch I want to use for the spare tire carrier, but I need to find some steel for the fitup first. I want the spare to be bolted in place so I'll get some studs and lug nuts for that at some point soon hopefully.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup when I had my blow out if the wrecker wasn't able to load it in bed there was going to be a 5 ton combat rim left on the side of interstate because no way was it going back in rack.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are hemtt bows that I cut down.
The uprights are 56" 2" taller than normal uprights.

All square tubing very very solid I could screw metal to it because it's such a solid frame work.

Last edited:

Mos68x

I have been thinking of making my own bows since I can bend wood, but I'd want mine to be about 72" I think though. I doubt that a tarp would cover the sides of the bed completely, but I'd only be going for a "bikini-top" anyways.

someoldmoose

Coffey1, extra kudos then for fingerpainting with that level of skill. Looks fantastic.

68xray, the bed crane is looking good. I am hoping to do something similar on the rear of my project like Rayzer did on his trailer. I am gettin too old and frail to wrestle with 300 lb. wheel and tire assemblies. Falls into my new life strategy, Work Older, NOT Bolder !

Mos68x

Thanks Moose, took the truck for a ride tonight to move stuff and already had a pin fall out on it. I bought a case of cotter pins from HF when I bought the crane so it looks like I'll have to use them instead of the included clips. If I can get my chainsaw to stay running I'd like to test it out on some of the thick tree trunks. Need to get moving on my firewood for winter anyways.

someoldmoose

Would a PTO shaft pin work ? The bail locks over the pin so it doesn't get flung from the spinning PTO shaft, hence won't vibrate out due to the punishing pounding of riding in a 5 ton :D. You hafta reallllly WANNA take em out. I try to replace all the ball-detent type pins on my stuff with 'em when I can find one that is the right size.

Just looked, Harbor Freight has the square bail style 19/64ths" x 2 1/8" for $2.99, and the 20 pc. set ( 10 - 1/4" x 1 1/4", 5 - 5/16th" x 2 1/4", and 5 - 3/8" x 2 1/2") for $9.99.

square bail pto pin.jpg 20 pc pin set.jpg

Last edited:

Mos68x

Hadn't thought of those, I was thinking of what I already had here with me since I live 2hrs away from HF. I'm sure that would work great though, and still be easily removable.

8madjack

Are the 923 style bows wood? I thought they were aluminum or something from the pics I've seen. I've been thinling of making some since they seem to command a premium and are never close by... same with troop seats.

aziator

Installed the bed crane from HF that I had purchased a few days ago. I'm not happy with where the holes ended up so I'll most likely go back later when I have enough bolts that are long enough. I missed the bed support by an inch or so so I can't use the angle iron included for that one bolt, but the other two have the angle iron bracing at least.View attachment 684570

At least now I can load the spare tire on my own without assistance and any other heavy loads (within reason). I did buy the hand winch I want to use for the spare tire carrier, but I need to find some steel for the fitup first. I want the spare to be bolted in place so I'll get some studs and lug nuts for that at some point soon hopefully.
That looks perfect for lifting big dead animals into the bed, may need to get one before hunting season.

Mos68x

That looks perfect for lifting big dead animals into the bed, may need to get one before hunting season.
That's part of the reason I bought it lol big game gets to be a little heavy when you have to lift it shoulder high.

I can't remember what they are made for sure Jack, just what I'm planning on doing if I keep the bed on the truck for long.

Edit: AZiator, what tags you trying to get this next season? I'm hoping I can get me an elk tag, but I'll at least get a javelina and deer/antelope.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks