• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

aziator

That's part of the reason I bought it lol big game gets to be a little heavy when you have to lift it shoulder high.

I can't remember what they are made for sure Jack, just what I'm planning on doing if I keep the bed on the truck for long.

Edit: AZiator, what tags you trying to get this next season? I'm hoping I can get me an elk tag, but I'll at least get a javelina and deer/antelope.
My son drew out for Youth Elk up near Flag. I put in for the strip to start building points, wife and 2 kids will more than likely draw out here on Huachuca, mil hunting isn't so bad down here.

Next time I am up in Tucson I will check out the lift at HF.

tobyS

Are the 923 style bows wood? I thought they were aluminum or something from the pics I've seen..
The older ones are wood and the newer bows are (thin) steel across the top and fiberglass uprights. Older troop seats are wood and the newer troop seats are fiberglass (plus the metal frame parts).

tobyS

Put an ad in the parts wanted to see if there are any close to you and offer some camo netting in trade. You might get lucky.

Mos68x

68xray,. Order online. The always faithful USPS will shove 'em right in yet mail pouch.
Lol I suppose they could, I just never think about it. I usually make one or two trips into town every month and plan accordingly. Of course that usually means I'm broke AF 95% of the month lol but since I don't go nowhere it's fine.

Mos68x

5x5 on that x-ray. A trip to HF is like a 5 yr. old loose in a candy store. Usually very painful to wallet also.
Ain't that the truth!! I rarely leave there spending less than $300-$400

IMG_7486.jpgIMG_7485.jpg

Not it sure how heavy that stump was, but it is obvious that I'll have to put some plate steel underneath the base mount for the crane since it leans a good bit. Last time I tried pulling stump out with the truck I broke 3 chains, I finally said enough and when I went to HF I bought 1/2" loggers chain, that's when I saw they still had the bed crane. I thought it had been discontinued since I hadn't been able to find it online for some reason. Also yanked another stump out after I did that one. Just make sure that you buy the package of cotter pins or the cotter clips as the ones that are included with the crane ain't worth a **** thing. I had two pins fall out on me, but fortunately I didn't lose either one. Today I put cotter pins in where I knew I wouldn't need to change anything like the mounts for the hydraulic cylinder and where the boom mounts to the base. The boom extension and the pivot lock pins I put cotter clips in since I knew those would change quite a bit.

someoldmoose

Wow, yeah, a nice plate underneath appears needed. I do wanna put a lock pin in the bottom ram mount of mine so it can be "collapsed" some when not in use. Will have to make "something" to support ram when folded so it doesn't "self extend" but that's what TIG and scrap metal are for.

Mos68x

I will most likely pull the top off if I'm worried about theft, but it will likely stay "stowed" as long as it's done losin parts n pieces down the road. Might make do with some angle iron if I can find some to spare.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a question for everyone who installed any kind of crane, large hydraulic down to a 1000 lb Harbor Freight model.

I see most everyone mounts it in the back of the bed. Why? Isn't that restricting (slightly or moderately) what you can load in there? There is a convenience factor. I can totally see that. Maybe that is the answer, and it's nothing more.

Now, I have been accused of marching to the beat of a different drum more than one time. So my question isn't meant to criticize, just curious about the mounting location.

If (when) I mount a crane, I will likely put it in the front of the bed, either centered and braced to the front of the bed, if it's a larger hydraulic type, or in the drivers corner if it's a smaller one. I figure, there, it is out of the way, and I can still pick up anything and load it, even if I have to drop the side. I can use the front of the bed or the corner of the bed as a brace. You can't find a stronger location in my mind than to butt it right up against the corner if it's a small crane or up against the center of the bed of its larger. Even if you have to set it off a few inches, you can weld or bolt a piece of square or angle to secure it.

To me, it seems more convenient, and more practical.

But, that's just me. Again, I do see the convenience factor of having it at the back. Just curious what made a lot of you put it in the rear instead of the front.

Rmtaunton

Mine is at the back for further reach , like as in loading the trailer or another truck I reach all the way back and all the way drivers side IMG_0787.JPGIMG_0697.JPGIMG_0677.jpg

And load the bed

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 684722View attachment 684723
Not it sure how heavy that stump was, but it is obvious that I'll have to put some plate steel underneath the base mount for the crane since it leans a good bit. Last time I tried pulling stump out with the truck I broke 3 chains, I finally said enough and when I went to HF I bought 1/2" loggers chain, that's when I saw they still had the bed crane. I thought it had been discontinued since I hadn't been able to find it online for some reason. Also yanked another stump out after I did that one.
Just to be clear, I wasn't criticizing your crane. I'm digging it. I have a HF engine hoist that I would mount but, it doesn't swivel. I could make a swivel ... but, anyway, that's a different thread.

The bending of it is what reminded me about putting it in the drivers side front corner. And bracing it to the corner. Maybe with a square u bolt to the front and one to the side, or any of a dozen ways.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter

someoldmoose

I see where yer at bwana. If I had a drop side, up front would be my choice. For a knuckle boom the only sensible choice on a 5 ton is i f o the cargo box, on the frame. HEMTTs are NOT 5 tons, before any panties get wadded. Mine is a van so it'll be LR corner of the box for me.

Mos68x

Just to be clear, I wasn't criticizing your crane. I'm digging it. I have a HF engine hoist that I would mount but, it doesn't swivel. I could make a swivel ... but, anyway, that's a different thread.

The bending of it is what reminded me about putting it in the drivers side front corner. And bracing it to the corner. Maybe with a square u bolt to the front and one to the side, or any of a dozen ways.
No offense taken, to each his own. I put mine in the back because my sides don't drop and I wanted to be able to lift the tire (at least) into the bed (no tire davit on my truck). If I had put it up front the tire would most likely not clear the sides. I will almost never extend the boom unless it's absolutely necessary. I do have some logs that I need to load into the truck as well and I'll use it for that too.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No offense taken, to each his own. I put mine in the back because my sides don't drop and I wanted to be able to lift the tire (at least) into the bed (no tire davit on my truck). If I had put it up front the tire would most likely not clear the sides. I will almost never extend the boom unless it's absolutely necessary. I do have some logs that I need to load into the truck as well and I'll use it for that too.
Makes parfect sense now. Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks