• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Willyk

IMG_0207.jpgJust won the people's choice award at Moroso's performance products "spooktacular" car show. Again, all these guys with the hot rods and classics were "triggered " about that. Lol. Didn't even blow the leaves of the truck this morning. Military trucks rule! Now 3 for 3 !

Last edited:

WV New Guy

Congrats good for you and your truck I know the locals here with there don't drive in the rain vehicles weren't to happy when we were awarded a trophy for 2nd place at a Memorial Day event . We didn't get invited to the next local car show. We found out that the ATHS shows for tucks are cooler anyway dirt and rust rule at those. Keep up the great work!

Willyk

To be honest, I kind of cheat! Everyone who has the standard hot rod, classic car, etc are so "anal". No touching!, no going inside the vehicle, etc. I always let people climb up an on the truck. Kids love going in the back to dance or jump up or down! I just tell them to be careful and not fall out. I always post on the vehicle sheet to go ahead and touch the truck! You ain't gonna break it! If it breaks.. god help the USA! Lol. I think people vote for the truck because I'm nice! I'm friendly, and, the truck is cool! Kids love it. Parents like folks who are nice and let the kids be kids.

Spyderman

I picked up a hard top down at Knob Creek while I was at the machine gun shoot. Got a good deal on it. I am going to paint it then put it on. Just in time for winter.

Sent from my Webslinger using Tapatalk

74M35A2

Tossed ANOTHER torque rod end at an off road park. WTF. Need to change 11 more now apparently. Will drill and tap all for retainer plate. This is a stupid design, should not be happening. Ratchet strap control arms to the rescue, again, for the 1.5 hour drive home.

IMG_4871.jpg

therooster2001

Tossed ANOTHER torque rod end at an off road park. WTF. Need to change 11 more now apparently. Will drill and tap all for retainer plate. This is a stupid design, should not be happening. Ratchet strap control arms to the rescue, again, for the 1.5 hour drive home.

View attachment 705143
Dude, that sucks. I thought you had the washers on already? I think I am going to do mine this winter. I am just happy those didn't go when doing 60. Mine came off when I had just gotten off the highway. So drill or weld, what's the concencus?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, here come the questions. What thickness plate? 1/4”? 3/8? 1/2”?

Did you just have someone CNC a bunch of circles, or did you just torch cut circles and clean them up?

What about the centers? Did you just cut a 1” hole or maybe an “X” or star pattern so you could get a nice amount of contact. Then come back later and fill it in? Or am I over engineering this?

Did you cool it with water immediately after?

I am trying to think through this so I only have to do it once and do it right.

74M35A2

I would probably weld a 6" long piece of 5/8" re-bar across each one, then quickly quench with water. But at this point, I am going to replace all of them with new. So, with each new one, I will chuck it up in the lathe at work and drill/tap the center for a 1/2" bolt, hole depth about 1" (twice what is required). There is so much metal here I don't feel it will degrade anything. I had large washers made of 3/8" plate steel, 6.5" round OD, with a 1/2" hole in the center, 12 of them. Looked at the ball join type fix, but was nervous it could be Chinese and is double the cost, at about $115ea. Standard rubber bushed type is about $48ea, so $500 difference in doing total job. I have the most confidence in the stock one which is then modified with a retainer mechanism, such as the bolt on washer plate.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 705143
Seems the torque rods will be the weak link after your engine swap instead of the transfer case. :mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks