• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

SUPRDUD

This is the 6th harvest that my trucks have served proudly while helping me haul corn and soybeans to the grain elevator.

They don't get as many strange glances as they used to, but they are still the most unique trucks there!Twin trucks AM General 915A1.jpg

8madjack

That is so nice, dump option would be nice!

so I see a lot more than 5 tons in the back of the truck. I read somewhere that 5 tons was for off road on the old trucks, but what about the m939s? I have a 931a1 with a 11' dropside on it. I want to get a water tank for the fire season ( just for around my house.) and was thinking 2,000 gal tank would be nice, but that is way over 5 tons. I think 1200 gals is about 5 tons.

I know these trucks are heavily built, but should I stick to 5 tons max? What issues should I anticipate?

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think your data plate has the correct weights listed on it. It is 5 tons for off road and 10 tons for on road. I think most folks have loaded them much heavier than 10 tons though. The 923's are a beast of a truck, I would like to put a dump bed on mine at some point also.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I see that I carry 1000 gal on a 16’ utility trailer with 16” wheels and a set of springs I can easily carry (7k axles) then I look at my 5 ton and it’s enormous springs that would give me another back surgery if I even look at them sideways ... yeah, you will be just fine.

Granted the truck does weigh quite a bit. Just be careful that Johnny Law doesn’t give you grief about it. It is a 10,000 lb carrying capacity on paper. Ask him to go look at the tanks the rural fire departments put on theirs. They are quite a bit larger I believe.

We passed two. An “A0” and an older model 5 ton in Eldorado OK last week. I was too busy checking out the trucks to measure the tanks, but they were sizeable.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some guys in West Africa did manage to break the springs on a 923A2 by taking the sides off and hauling a D5 dozer. “AWA” is the saying the whites used. Africa wins again. The natives don’t understand the significance of that statement. The cultures are fantastic all over that continent. Different from one tribe to the next, but some things are universal across the continent.

Your water tank should be fine. Just don’t go putting your dozer on it.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
D5 shouldn’t have broke it at only about 12-14 ton, off road would likely get it done though.

Guy on here while ago ran a lime spreader on a 936 chassis, claimed to haul 20 ton regularly, not sure how it held up though, would probably be well over 60k on the rears.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
D5 shouldn’t have broke it at only be 12-14 ton, off road would likely get it done though.
It was a cultural mentality that broke it, not a dozer. Spend enough time in Africa and you will understand how anvils can get broken, in the same camp or shop, within days of replacing them.

the best American phrase to describe the mentality is “If it fits, it ships”. Duty rating? What is a duty rating?

We donated a $10k grinding mill to a local village in Mozambique. We stopped in one day to check on it. It had a Diesel engine to run it and two belts that drove the grinder.

one of the belts was hanging on the wall, the other belt went from the right drive on the engine to the left V drive on the grinder. We asked the guy there about the maintenance. “Have you been greasing these zerks? changing the oil? Why aren’t you using the other belt?”

He just looked at us as if we didn’t understand and, shrugged his shoulders and said “Why? IT WORKS!”

We walked out without Saying a word. There is no changing a culture. The mill was destroyed within a month.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well I did the 1000mi exactly round trip from Memphis to Montgomery to pick up Eli, then headed to Newnan, GA with him, Up to Cookeville, and back to Memphis.

Then I Installed a fuel cooler. Installed a switch panel for my junk to run off of. Did a modification to quiet down my wiper noise to just above a whisper. Rewired a bunch of connections on the truck with cool lock connectors. Replaced my tank transfer pump that was having intermittent problems that was under warranty and replaced it's filter. Installed another vise on the front bumper since mine broke off a year ago. Spray foamed and sealed a few places I had air coming into the cab and She is ready to roll to GA and the east coast for the weekend.

Attachments

8madjack

I think the data plate only addresses the 5 ton limit, I'll re check.

it will be mostly on my property so not worried about the law too much. just don't wanna tear up a nice truck. the tank will be removable on a skid.

also, I got offered a hydraulic front winch kit of a winch truck, everything, tank pto pump winch for 2k. I have an mrap electric winch, but was going to put it in back. is the hyd winch as stout as it looks and does that sound decent for a price?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

it will be mostly on my property so not worried about the law too much. just don't wanna tear up a nice truck. the tank will be removable on a skid.

also, I got offered a hydraulic front winch kit of a winch truck, everything, tank pto pump winch for 2k. I have an mrap electric winch, but was going to put it in back. is the hyd winch as stout as it looks and does that sound decent for a price?
There is one in the classifieds for 1500

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
As you all might have seen, I drove out to a truck meet in Montgomery on Saturday only to break down the literal moment I pulled in the gate. Brakes started dragging as I pulled into a parking spot, air compressor sh*t the bed. (That verdict came after 6+ hours diagnosing every single air related object on the rig)

I was stuck, decided not to rig up a compressor in the bed to limp home, and Simp5782 drove through the night to drag her home for me teaching me all kinds of useful info along the way.

Purchased 3 tires from him, got some new exhaust goodies, and the opportunity to watch him row some gears on that fancy Cat tranny.

Ordered the parts to address said issues, as well as a thermostat/gaskets to fix my coolant leak.

Huge thanks for the tow home

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I think all the 939s only had the one weight rating of 5 ton.

If your terrain isn’t too harsh or steep sidehills, you’ll be fine with the 2000 gallon.

Also get a snatch block for the winch, they are relatively easy to stall on a single line.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
As you all might have seen, I drove out to a truck meet in Montgomery on Saturday only to break down the literal moment I pulled in the gate. Brakes started dragging as I pulled into a parking spot, air compressor sh*t the bed. (That verdict came after 6+ hours diagnosing every single air related object on the rig)

I was stuck, decided not to rig up a compressor in the bed to limp home, and Simp5782 drove through the night to drag her home for me teaching me all kinds of useful info along the way.

Purchased 3 tires from him, got some new exhaust goodies, and the opportunity to watch him row some gears on that fancy Cat tranny.

Ordered the parts to address said issues, as well as a thermostat/gaskets to fix my coolant leak.

Huge thanks for the tow home
I think that poor truck in the background needs a new coat of paint! She looks faded

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Swamp- my bumper may be moist and lubricated, but I’m confident an Allison can’t walk the cat down the street

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks