• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I changed the fuel line on all 3 of my trucks to a braided steel line. (A2’s) They all fire up immediately. I had one sit from January until October. Took about two seconds to start. I was amazed. It’s the first mod I do on a new truck other than the fact that they all usually need new batteries.

Try it. It’s worth the money.

gottaluvit

Where did you add the antifreeze to the system? Before or after the dryer? Dessicant and antifreeze don't get along at all. Anything added to the system should be done after the dryer.

I've had my PURest dryer on the truck for 3 years now and just swapped it for another one 2 weeks ago. The purge valve was still closing but wasn't quite sealing completely. I left it on there as long as I did to get a gauge of how long it takes before they start giving problems. The main thin I want to see though is the trash that it has caught from the compressor. The dryer doesn't only remove water. It also catches carbon and other trash from the compressor. I'll probably tear into it this week and see what it looks like inside, then throw a rebuild kit in it. I don't expect to find much in there as the dryer portion was still working perfectly. I've never had moisture at the drain valves with that dryer on there. It got a real workout at the rally when we swapped Coffey's tires around and still didn't let any moisture pass.

Don't let my 3 year service period become proof of anything though. It's more of a sampling period. I want to see what my compressor has been putting out for the last 3 years.
The antifreeze was added after the dryer with the old stock dryer still installed. I put around 8 hours on it before putting the new dryer on as I wanted to work out the bugs before putting the new one on. I didn't get a chance to change that cartridge yet. I an hoping to today. I have to drop the whole dryer to change the cartridge with this being an M929, as the hydraulic hoses are against the top of the cartridge case. I shoe-gooed a piece of rubber splash guard to the top of the cartridge case to prevent a rub wear hole.

Edit: There has been no smell of alcohol, when draining the tanks, for quite some time. Apparently the breakdown of the desiccant happened shortly after I installed the MRAP dryer. I won't be using any of that stuff ever again.

Last edited:

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Had one of my Front XZL's go out on me. I had some sidewall damage from going up thru OH about 2 months ago. nice sidewall cuts. Then yesterday on the east side of Nashville she decided to blow out. Nice little hole at 65mph when she went down. Runflat did it's job I was able to keep driving to the next exit with no issue. Got her changed and off I went. Runflats do work though. The tire stayed together pretty well.
Glad I️ bought those from you, meant to ask you what do you use for runflat lube?

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Drained coolant, and rebuilt the top half of my compressor. Was very pleased to see crosshatching in the bore. Also replaced what appears to be the original thermostat because the lowest part of the 3 piece housing was leaking

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Been eyeballing this at a local junk yard for about a year now, what is it and what’s it worth? Front right landing leg is bent inward a little and 1 tire is a goner but the rest looks great, has a fuel pump on the rear (maybe generator driven? No generator on trailer)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Been eyeballing this at a local junk yard for about a year now, what is it and what’s it worth? Front right landing leg is bent inward a little and 1 tire is a goner but the rest looks great, has a fuel pump on the rear (maybe generator driven? No generator on trailer)
1061. About 500 or so.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

gottaluvit

M1061 trailer. Them landing legs are a bit sloppy and have some lean on them. They also may not have the pins fully in the slots. They have them on GP now and then so you can get an idea of auction value before deciding what to pay for the junkyard one.

big block 88

Vet day parade last saturday. Rolling thunder topeka chapter had some of their sweet rides out there too as usual

the heater core swap i did last spring has helped my heat a ton. Pops and i were more than warm in that cab. The female vets in the back im sure were beyond cold but they sure didn't complain about it. They always have a blast. And i feel its very fitting the ladies are in the only 5 ton in the parade. No HETTS or HEMMT showed this year so they were in the biggest truck in the parade.

Attachments

big block 88

I had knee surgery yesterday to remove some pieces of bone that had chipped off my joint so im layed up for a couple days. But the a/c install should be done this weekend. Also if you guys havent filtered your coolant yet donyourself a favor and built a kit to do so. I never get over how bad this coolant in these trucks is no matter how much you flush them out.

Attachments

MAdams

Big Block, I can't tell for certain but it looks like you have NPT to JIC(or AN) fitting coming out of that filter housing then going to brass NPT fittings. JIC and NPT fittings aren't meant to thjread into each other

I had knee surgery yesterday to remove some pieces of bone that had chipped off my joint so im layed up for a couple days. But the a/c install should be done this weekend. Also if you guys havent filtered your coolant yet donyourself a favor and built a kit to do so. I never get over how bad this coolant in these trucks is no matter how much you flush them out.

big block 88

You are correct the nipples are jic swivels. And the brass is npt. While i would NEVER recommend them being used together under high pressures. they will be more than fine under the pressures a coolant system sees. Thread sealant is key on the joint, but the jic flare end buts perfectly against the npt pipe end on the elbow. we have been doing this for decades at work on low pressures systems that need a swivel.

But yes you are correct on the jic and npt being an issue typically. Very good eye sir.

gottaluvit

The antifreeze was added after the dryer with the old stock dryer still installed. I put around 8 hours on it before putting the new dryer on as I wanted to work out the bugs before putting the new one on. I didn't get a chance to change that cartridge yet. I an hoping to today. I have to drop the whole dryer to change the cartridge with this being an M929, as the hydraulic hoses are against the top of the cartridge case. I shoe-gooed a piece of rubber splash guard to the top of the cartridge case to prevent a rub wear hole.

Edit: There has been no smell of alcohol, when draining the tanks, for quite some time. Apparently the breakdown of the desiccant happened shortly after I installed the MRAP dryer. I won't be using any of that stuff ever again.
New cartridge installed today. The old one had some oily residue on it and a lot of water droplets but no sign of where the desiccant escaped. The cartridge was very heavy compared to the new one so I figure it was fully absorbed in water. I guess I will just keep the ones I had for sale if I have to change them annually. Everyone wants nearly twice what I was selling mine for.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Or the horse stable mat from tractor supply. cut to fit and itll keep the batteries from jumping up against the seat. It also leaves plenty more after the cut out to do your whole floor with it. It has fiberglass in it so it is great insulation. Drops floor temps by 10 degrees.

Last edited:

Dave450R

Any one out there can have 91m931a2 I jus purchased few months ago everything been good just lost wipers air horns and front wheel engage any ideas

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
New cartridge installed today. The old one had some oily residue on it and a lot of water droplets but no sign of where the desiccant escaped. The cartridge was very heavy compared to the new one so I figure it was fully absorbed in water. I guess I will just keep the ones I had for sale if I have to change them annually. Everyone wants nearly twice what I was selling mine for.
The oil is normal as long as it's not excessive. All oil lubed compressors pass some oil over time. The oil is actually the main cause for the shortened life span of the dessicant. Desiccant will actually last much longer without the oil. The oil coats the dessicant over time, which doesn't allow it to absorb or release moisture. The air dryer can't purge the oil from the desiccant so it just stays there. At some point the dryer starts to allow water to pass because the desiccant can no longer do its job. This would be considered the time to rebuild. As Gimpy stated, most manufactures assume about a year for it to get to that point and suggest a service.

I'd keep the air dryers you have. I had accumulated several new ones a while back and have decided to do the same, instead of selling. They're not as cheap as they used to be. I also have some rebuild kits that I got for cheap. At this point I shouldn't have to by another airdryer. I'll just keep rebuilding the ones I remove.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks