• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
His stats show this:

Join Date 04-06-2017

Last Activity 10-16-2017 13:58
I checked his activity, and his very last post was the day he got his truck. I guess he checks in occasionally, maybe he’s just fixing some things and getting it ready.

If I remember correctly, his plan was to turn it into a house and travel and live in it. I hope that’s what he’s doing, but, I was just curious if anyone knew him. He was quite active on a few threads and was very excited about the truck.

Hope everything is alright, Clint’s probably right. He’s on about page 150 of the 10’s. Rereading each paragraph a few times like I did because a dog barked and I lost track or started thinking about something ... anything ... anything at all more interesting than this!
Moose! Post up brother! Let us know what’s going on!

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well then grab the CPU, all the wheel valves, counterbalance and hardware, and the pneumatic valve (on the cab floor), the pressure sensor is near the PPV, by the wet tank, and is super fragile looking dongle / harness. I'm all set, but several people on here were looking for that piece. And in case you need a gauge or two, it's easier to take the whole dash than to just try to grab an individual gauge. And while I'm thinking of random small stuff, grab the proper temp A2 shutter stat, they seem to have gotten expensive and scarce. I would strip these things to the bones, when I had a bare classis, I still got CTIS hub hoses (seriously try to find those on eBay), and I even grabbed the brake shoes and springs off them as someone had took the hubs. I should have grabbed bearings, but I didn't know how long they had been exposed. Ether assemblies, Mufflers, dog bones, spare tire holders, fuel filter assemblies, even fuel caps are fair game. It was SUPER fun in the salvage yard, hope they take care of you on price. It's also a place where you can practice on a doomed or broken truck so you don't break your truck. We need pictures.
Have only had my 923A2 a few months. Can you send me a pick of the PPV. And what is the temp A2 shutter stat?

therooster2001

Have only had my 923A2 a few months. Can you send me a pick of the PPV. And what is the temp A2 shutter stat?
200 degrees for the stock one, although there is a debate on that. I think it's a perfect temp.

The PPV is that little valve in the pict coming off the wet tank. It looks like a knob that can turn. (this pict is NOT an A2, and is missing the CTIS switch lead)

Pressure Protection Valve 1.jpg

The TM shows a good picture. The PPV is the red arrow.

PPVandPressure.jpg

The CTIS pressure switch looks like this:
s-l1600-11.jpg

What looks like a nut above that green plastic piece is NOT a nut. Make sure you take this off on the brass fitting, and then disconnect the cannon plug. Ask me how I know.. Underneath a truck and all CARC'd up, it's confusing looking.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What, No drone footage?!
The sasquatch was having enough technical difficulties with the simple GoPro. He wasn't about to put a thousand dollar drone in the air over dense woods and kudzu. My luck has not been great recently. I'm trying not to make it worse. :mrgreen:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took the little Frontier to the dealership for the 6th time. It has an ongoing brake issue that has yet to be repaired. I've been reasonable up to this point but have become aggrevated and changed tactics this go round. I told them it was unsafe to drive and that they were picking up the tow bill, to which they agreed. The look on their faces when I pulled up was priceless. My handwritten bill was not. Now that money is flowing the other way, and since there's no more to be made off me, maybe they'll get their act together. If not, I'll keep making money taking my truck to the dealership. :mrgreen:

20171208_092327.jpg

Took the little Frontier to the dealership for the 6th time. It has an ongoing brake issue that has yet to be repaired. I've been reasonable up to this point but have become aggrevated and changed tactics this go round. I told them it was unsafe to drive and that they were picking up the tow bill, to which they agreed. The look on their faces when I pulled up was priceless. My handwritten bill was not. Now that money is flowing the other way, and since there's no more to be made off me, maybe they'll get their act together. If not, I'll keep making money taking my truck to the dealership. :mrgreen:

View attachment 711520
I really like you trailer!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Welded on a new V band flange as my old one snapped the flange part off on one side.

Clint finally got me a schoolbus starter so I can sound like a freightliner on start up.
Replaced the hoses on my 90 degree pipe as I had one leak the other day while on the road. Added some SCA additive when i filled it back up.
Sealed up some small cab holes and put some weatherstripping on the windows since I don't roll them down anyway.
Put 6 new 395's on the old girl. I had 40,000+ miles on the last set of 8 i started out with. Ended up with 3 blowouts over the 9 months i rode on em and I replaced 4 wheel studs on the rear. Tires were already on the same MRAP/LMTV wheels from before with the large bore valve stems and run flats.
I let her suck on some liquidmoly diesel intake cleaner thru the intake, which is very good stuff in my opinion. Like you would carb cleaner on a gas engine.
Afterwards i ran my crankcase vent line to a port on my throttle body so it can vent back into the engine rather than puking bypass oil on the underside of the truck

Attachments

Last edited:

big block 88

Replaced my crank seal. Put a new waterpump belt on. Hot pressure washed and degreased the engine. Changed my oil and bypass filter.

Installed window holders. My passengers side doesnt like to seal very well so i used a 3/4" x 3/4" piece of aluminum and fit it snug into the exsisting channel. Drilled a 7/64 hole and used #4 machine screws in the upper corner. Doesn't move or try to pivot to one side. I need to carry the glass to get it replaced and tinted this week too. This angle sits snug in the exsisting channel and still allows the window to go up and down.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
hey wes is this helping control your window slap also? 923 im working on will about make you go deaf with the way the windows slap the side of the cab when rolled up.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes. You also need to add some weatherstripping to the inside lip of the top and windshield frame. You also may be missing the little rubber strips that go between the door and the glass on both sides. It keeps it from doing that. I took some really thick and wide weatherstrip and ran it along the inside of the window at the bottom when it is fully up. it will go with the window when rolled down but keeps the slap and air from coming up thru the door between the glass.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Im looking at this on an iphone so maybe im not seeing correctly butnit looks like you didnhave to trim the legs on the angle.

What thickness is the angle iron?
It is 1/8" aluminum. I did have to trim the edges on the end going down into the door by a .25inch on the wide side so it would snug down into the channel run.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It is 1/8" aluminum. I did have to trim the edges on the end going down into the door by a .25inch on the wide side so it would snug down into the channel run.
You can also add door skins for the interior that tuck inside between the window and the glass as a shim sort of. It looks good on the door panels as well. You can use spray adhesive or I use short 1/2" #8 self tapping screws. It looks good to make the doors one smooth finish plus it keeps the cold to the touch in the winter months on the metal. I get it from the home depot. it is rubber flooring. quite thin but it works.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Traffic...er-Flooring-20-sq-ft-roll-MT4000113/301153300

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks