• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

big block 88

Never thought of skinning the inside the door like that. We did have a deuce we worked on once that had foam, like packing glued inside the door on the interior side. And have considered that also.

I have yet to see a 939 truck short of the frankencabs have doors and windows that fit. The windows on the 923 all the way actually are going too high and popping above their recess in the cab roof. The 925 windows sit out away from the cab roof by about 3/8 but she doesnt rattle.

I checked fluid in the 925 and noticed my front alxe pinnion seal is leaking pretty good. The chunk is wet and drips hanging from the pinnion. Fluid level in it was good perhaps i have a clogged vent. Too cold and im too big of a sissy to deal with the cold to go look.

Gonna need the 925 to go get the 923 slaved back up as it is slowly draining sitting at the ac shop grtting flsuhed and charged.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Never thought of skinning the inside the door like that. We did have a deuce we worked on once that had foam, like packing glued inside the door on the interior side. And have considered that also.

I have yet to see a 939 truck short of the frankencabs have doors and windows that fit. The windows on the 923 all the way actually are going too high and popping above their recess in the cab roof. The 925 windows sit out away from the cab roof by about 3/8 but she doesnt rattle.

I checked fluid in the 925 and noticed my front alxe pinnion seal is leaking pretty good. The chunk is wet and drips hanging from the pinnion. Fluid level in it was good perhaps i have a clogged vent. Too cold and im too big of a sissy to deal with the cold to go look.

Gonna need the 925 to go get the 923 slaved back up as it is slowly draining sitting at the ac shop grtting flsuhed and charged.
Do your windows have the adjustment bars on the lower part of them? Should be two vertical pieces of metal with 2 screw holes that go to the window frame they keep it in line when it reaches the top so it doesnt cock or twist to one side.

big block 88

Yes they do. Issue is the 923 is maxed out maybe try shimming the top out is what i will try next.

another question for the dually guys. What are you running air wise in the g177 tires? That truck has the worste ride i have ever been in. I was gonna drop them to 35 psi and try that. Those 177 side walls are just insane stiff.

I think if the truck would calm down just a bit the cab slap would be much better.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes they do. Issue is the 923 is maxed out maybe try shimming the top out is what i will try next.
I hate windows. I am working on a power window setup. I have the the right regulator and motor setup. Just havent gotten around to drilling the holes and making a piece to hook the frame to the regulator

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter

My doors and windows fit pretty good. I need new window channels and the rubber seals all the way around and I think it will seal pretty good.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed the ignition switch and locking door handles from "Those Military Guys." I had to do some work on one of the door handles in order to make it fit (about 1/8th of an inch too long). Ignition switch went in pretty easy, but the included step bit was not sufficient to drill the hole out in the dash panel of the Frankencab. Nice to be able to secure the cab now. Next mod will be the straight pipe.

big block 88

We cant get crap for snow the past few years. Just brutal cold and windy.

Well the day had come... the 923 has been completed!!!! The ac is charged and working great. We hit a massive road block yesterday when trying to get the system charged. I have been asked by the owner not to say anything other than there was an issue that the manufacturer and i were both our faults.

Word of warning that i always preach but i didnt follow this time. Remember boys, ALWAYS VERIFY EVERYTHING TRUST NO ONE HUMANS MAKE MISTAKES ASSUME THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING WRONG.

big block 88

Hey Wes on that aluminum angle my truck has so old petrified seals down the channel. Did you run into that issue? I need to take another 1/8 off one leg yet but the chilly air chased me back into the heated garage for other projects.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hey Wes on that aluminum angle my truck has so old petrified seals down the channel. Did you run into that issue? I need to take another 1/8 off one leg yet but the chilly air chased me back into the heated garage for other projects.
Yea. I found some new channel runs on mcmaster carr

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

big block 88

So ive been chasing the 923 haveing drained batts constantly. It has new 6tl's in it and hooked up through a TMG battery cut off. So while witing the a/c system up i kept noticing what i thought was aluminum dust. I had some done aluminum welding and grinding near the truck so figured the dust just blew in the cab.

So the truck will start great and then act like dead betteries. The kill switch has continuity when turned on so it seems good. I check the battery voltages. 12.3ish so not terrible. Then i check power at the starter while pops hits the switch. Voltage goes from 24.3 down to 9-15 volts. So im back under the seat looking and checking cables. All tights then i see the bottom of the seat has been arced on hard. Looking at the terminal that sucker is cooked. Its not aluminum dust its lead dust.

I would assume its safe to say that that particular battery is shot. With a stethoscope on the battery while pops hits the start i can instantly hear the battery boil and smell sulfer.

So tomorrow i will be going to just 2 batteries to get the bad one out of the series. Perhaps that will make it all better.

A bad battery in the series im pretry sure will screw up the voltage flow.

sandcobra164

Didn't work on a 5 ton today but had to activate my father in law to go get Simp some help. He broke down in Cuthbert, Ga. He described the area as "Banjo Country"! As luck would have it, my wife is from there so Mr. Russel went on the way ready to help. The issue was the threads on the input shaft on the transfer case were tits up and he needed a die to clean and straighten them. Took a little riding around but they found a shop with a guy who had the die needed, got the threads cleaned up and Wes was back underway. I made it to Cuthbert just in time to do a U-Turn and follow him to Dawson. He pulled off about halfway to check for leaks. Minor one but he figured he was good to go and pressed on. My father in law is a retired farmer, he was happy to have an urgent mission!!! I would have got there sooner but had to go to a scrap yard that I thought would have the parts to repair it. Prices were a little high so Wes passed on that idea. They wanted $225 for the input flange taken off of a T-1138. Looked it up when I got home and Eastern Surplus sells them for $49.99.

sandcobra164

He sounded nervous on the phone as he was out in the middle of nowhere One thing about those people, they operate big tractors and break stuff on occasion as well. Most are pretty friendly and helpful just as my father in law was. I'm glad that Wes picked up the tracked loader he was after and at last text, he was north of Birmingham. He's coming back in the morning to pick up AKM's trailer. We'll see how it goes, my truck could use a good hard run if I have to tow his rig.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wasnt really nervous as i was frustrated. Especially not having internet service. Makes ya feel pretty powerless.

Ended up stripping alot of the splines out of the transfer case companion flange for the input shaft. Simply fixed it by swapping it and the front drive flange on the case and i forced the bad one on to get it to seal up. The input yoke nut boogered the shaft threads up and thanks to Joseph's father in law we found a die in old machine shop. 1-1/4"-12

Cleaned it up and got back on the road. I ended up taking the track loader 400mi back to south TN and dropped it at 1030pm. Then headed south again. Did a total of 19hrs in the drivers seat yesterday alone.

Truck, mep803a, mep831, trailer, and 1155e loader was 69,280 lbs averaged 58.9mph and 5.2mpg with a 10mph headwind.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks