• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wasnt really nervous as i was frustrated. Especially not having internet service. Makes ya feel pretty powerless.
Welcome to most of our youths. Running all over God knows where (sometimes only he knew where we were) with no means of communication. Leaves you feeling quite helpless. Your feet wind up being the only way to get help.

Glad you got it fixed and back rolling. You seem to be quite adept with tools and these trucks. A major problem for some of us seems to be a roadside fix for you. Good for you bud.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The local Christmas Parade. I had the American Legion with me again. Last year I had a ladder for them to get in the bed, which presented a problem for some of them. I picked up a 7 step boarding ladder at the rally this year, which was a very appreciated upgrade by all.

20171212_182353.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The local Christmas Parade. I had the American Legion with me again. Last year I had a ladder for them to get in the bed, which presented a problem for some of them. I picked up a 7 step boarding ladder at the rally this year, which was a very appreciated upgrade by all.

View attachment 712639
Wheres your tag along?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I brought it and left it at the AL building so they could decorate it. There were supposed to be more people but the cold thinned the crowd. It was going to be a pain to navigate the staging area anyways. It was 31° when we started rolling and 27° by the time we were at the end.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FED42516-DF31-43EA-A94F-33DE2B2797C1.jpg
Some PM performed today

Oil change
New Oil, trans and fuel filters
New wiper blades. Not installed yet in pic. Had to paint them.
New Air Dryer cartridge.
Topped fuel off after about an hour drive.

Now it’s ready when needed.

Last edited:

Amer-team

I have the g177's and the guys at the truck shop have me running 90/80. I know that is more than it says on the TP on the side for the backs, but that is what they suggested. And they know my truck pretty much just does highway or parades.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And how long does that last? Mine is looking a little dull. Sounds like my kind of wax job.
The question has been asked before. I don't know but we will find out. I will never repaint my truck so I did it and the trailer. Seems like if you were ever to paint it might cause more prep work. When it sits in the sun for a couple of days the shine goes away and it looks much better.

Last edited:

big block 88

The question has been asked before. I don't know but we will find out. I will never repaint my truck so I did it and the trailer. Seems like if you were ever to paint it might cause more prep work. When it sits in the sun for a couple of days the shine goes away and it looks much better.
We used pledge and armoroall what ever we had kind of deal. And when you go to paint it will have worked its way into the pors but sanding, degreasing, sanding degreasing and it will come out. A good high bond sealer will help also before painting to help with bleeding and seperating.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
full of crap eventful week. Hauled a few of the case 1155 track loaders (69,280 gross) and a few deuces. Had a few problems to fix on the road. The most problems I have had in a row in awhile. Just small stuff but stripping the flange out was unusual. Then when I was at swamps AO I blew my oil cooler or an oring while just sitting there idling. It had a little oil leak into the coolant for awhile and then this got excessive. Overnight shipped one from home and had it going the next day. Replaced the transfer case flange seals while I was waiting. I believe i busted a leaf spring bushing in NC yesterday. I have a tap tap tap especially on rough roads like concrete. Ill figure that out today. Logged 4762 gps miles with a few detours for other things in 8 days with 1.5 days of it being hang around and repair times. Thought I would put the circus on a map. I had a deadhead run from Cookeville to Greensboro so it is a double back route.

Attachments

Last edited:

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
full of crap eventful week. Hauled a few of the case 1155 track loaders (69,280 gross) and a few deuces. Had a few problems to fix on the road. The most problems I have had in a row in awhile. Just small stuff but stripping the flange out was unusual. Then when I was at swamps AO I blew my oil cooler or an oring while just sitting there idling. It had a little oil leak into the coolant for awhile and then this got excessive. Overnight shipped one from home and had it going the next day. Replaced the transfer case flange seals while I was waiting. I believe i busted a leaf spring bushing in NC yesterday. I have a tap tap tap especially on rough roads like concrete. Ill figure that out today. Logged 4762 gps miles with a few detours for other things in 8 days with 1.5 days of it being hang around and repair times. Thought I would put the circus on a map. I had a deadhead run from Cookeville to Greensboro so it is a double back route.

Have you ever thought of putting a small sleeper cab on your truck? Say some where in the range of a 36" to a 48". You run more miles than hard OTR drivers I know. I could sleep on the steering a few times... I've done it myself, but after awhile I'd have to lay down.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Have you ever thought of putting a small sleeper cab on your truck? Say some where in the range of a 36" to a 48". You run more miles than hard OTR drivers I know. I could sleep on the steering a few times... I've done it myself, but after awhile I'd have to lay down.
It is setup pretty well how I have it for sleeping.

big block 88

Overseas my favorite in cab sleeping position in one of the old civi cab overs with no sleepers was to put a water bottle on the steering wheel center (pulled the horn fuse) standing up right and then rest my head right down on the bottle cap. I caught many a cat nap over there like that. Ive been know to drift off at work still on break times like that. Guys think im nuts but man its comfy for me. I have no neck at all so that could be part of it? Plus all my exes have said im really thick headed so that may help to?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
My shifter will fold down to the floor. i have square storage tote I keep my bags in the passengers floorboard. and the toolbox in the center. I have a 6in thick orthopedic dog bed laying across the toolbox and seat/tote combo. It gives me the full room from the dash to the rear of the cab for width and all the way across. it is almost as nice as the bed at home.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went and made an offer on another one. Been sitting a while. Says it is a '91' same as mine but the boxes on the sides are different. Where there different M923A2's ?? Like the passenger side only has 2 steps not 3 to get in and the boxes are smaller. Set up seems a little different. But it runs good. Needs some work as people seemed to have stole or started parting out some gauges, ctis control and throttle stuff. I'm sure I will find more. IMG_1547.JPG

Spend a couple hours with her yesterday just looking things over.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

another difference is this truck has wood sides where mine is aluminum

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks