• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

big block 88

Good bevels cut 6010 root with 7018 covers i approve. All welds look to be done in position? Good work. The perosity in your root can be cooked out. That was just a bad rod or arc length got too wide or base metal had some impurities in it. In this application you will be fine. But in the future if you see perosity grind it out and hot tack over it before sealing it with a cover if you dont feel you can cook out the affected areas.

Im only here to judge your welds and feel like a tough guy. Carry on

Last edited:

lindsey97

Bottom line if 98G welds it, it's not coming apart. I have 2 other guys I know local to me, both are very talented. 98G's work is very good, you won't find a better welder than him.

tobyS

Bottom line if 98G welds it, it's not coming apart. I have 2 other guys I know local to me, both are very talented. 98G's work is very good, you won't find a better welder than him.

No matter how good we are, there is always someone better.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once told Wheelspinner, "Just because you own a welder, does not make you a welder".

:doghead:

Last edited:

Mos68x

Certainly not everything needs full strength welds, but apparently this part does.

My problem is consistent overhead...actually I'm not going to claim to be an expert in doing the welding, I was involved in boiler engineering and design to know what to look for...not that I have the skill to consistently put it there. Been welding 49 years.
My time time behind the arc stinger has been limited, but if we were talking about TIG or MIG then I have lots of time there. TIG has been all personal use, but have had several jobs doin MIG. Definite favorite job was welding up the aluminum semi trailers. As long as you know what you’re doing, welding aluminum is just PURTY!

Yeah, these corner assemblies will be bearing the entire weight of the shipping container and it’s contents, so I knew it had to be built tough. It’s not the static weight that I’m concerned about, it’s the dynamic. The effect of the static weight while the truck is in motion...over unimproved roads. The weight of my container won’t be hardly anything, but I’d like to be able to haul a loaded container (10-20k total weight) when I get to my final destination. At least after my fun time with the truck I can still make some money with it afterwards, hopefully.

tobyS

My time time behind the arc stinger has been limited, but if we were talking about TIG or MIG then I have lots of time there. TIG has been all personal use, but have had several jobs doin MIG. Definite favorite job was welding up the aluminum semi trailers. As long as you know what you’re doing, welding aluminum is just PURTY!

Yeah, these corner assemblies will be bearing the entire weight of the shipping container and it’s contents, so I knew it had to be built tough. It’s not the static weight that I’m concerned about, it’s the dynamic. The effect of the static weight while the truck is in motion...over unimproved roads. The weight of my container won’t be hardly anything, but I’d like to be able to haul a loaded container (10-20k total weight) when I get to my final destination. At least after my fun time with the truck I can still make some money with it afterwards, hopefully.
I owned a weld shop for about 4 years. We used to repair al dump trucks with the tig and nice thick plate. That was some of my best welding days too. Yep "purdy"...but if I was going to have a burn on exposed skin, it was behind the tig in the back of an alum. bed .

My collection includes a Lincoln and Hobart buzz box, Lincoln bullet, Hobart Cyber Tig 300 and a sweet Hobart gas driven 225 that has excellent high frequency stabilization. I keep bidding on welding trailers with the (diesel) Millers but someone always wants them a lot more than I do.

sandcobra164

Finally got my desplined front caps installed. Taking the take-offs to be sandblasted before I paint them. Considering painting them red in order to identify which ones are on the truck with a quick glance.

big block 88

I owned a weld shop for about 4 years. We used to repair al dump trucks with the tig and nice thick plate. That was some of my best welding days too. Yep "purdy"...but if I was going to have a burn on exposed skin, it was behind the tig in the back of an alum. bed .

My collection includes a Lincoln and Hobart buzz box, Lincoln bullet, Hobart Cyber Tig 300 and a sweet Hobart gas driven 225 that has excellent high frequency stabilization. I keep bidding on welding trailers with the (diesel) Millers but someone always wants them a lot more than I do.
hit up 98g. He has some killer Miller big blues with the diesels for sale.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Hey Sandcrobra, store the hubs in some 5 ton document boxes from the cab. I picked up 2 of these and mounted them where my spare tire would go as it no longer fits with the convoy light poles installed. I picked them up cheap and one fits in each box pretty well. You can mount them anywhere and they are pretty weather tight.

Attachments

tobyS

Original caps sandblasted and ready for paint. De-splined caps installed and painted. Now the wheel looks better than the rest of the truck, it'll soon be time to sandblast the truck so I can get it looking as good..
Let us know how much different it drives.

I was thinking of using the cap, but making an insert that can be taken out that would provide the locking by just removal, but not of the entire cap, just the insert part and a couple small bolts, holding the inserts outside plate. I would buy a set of the drive caps (like you did) so I don't have to use the ones off the truck until I knew it worked right. What size spline is that?

Sidewalls on your tires look like they are starting to hold mud (now that the rims are black). Try putting a little used synthetic motor oil on the tires for a conditioner, it's the best I've found. I clean them first then many of those pesky cracks holding dirt tighten up. It seems to swell the rubber just a little. I put it on liberally and wipe it back off after it's had a while to soak in. It doesn't last forever but I think it helps to keep water from staying in those cracks, saturating plies and steel belts where they then rust. I'm going to do it regularly on the 395's I just put on.

sandcobra164

Desplined axle caps review

I just installed my desplined caps yesterday but was tired from working at my friends shop so I didn't drive it until today. I could tell a difference right away. The modification has some fairly obvious advantages for highway use. The first thing I noticed is how smooth the steering was, not that it was horrible before but it was noticeable. The truck feels like it rolls quite a bit easier, especially in 5th gear. I know that could be a subject of debate but my proof is in throttle amount per ground speed attained. Before this mod, I would have to hold the throttle to the floor to maintain road speed on the flats and I would lose a few mph on modest to minor hills. Today I was able to relax back off of the throttle once up to speed, even had to watch my speed for once on flats as the truck will run down to 60 mph indicated which is closer to 65 mph since I never corrected the speedo when I put the 14's on. I've gps'd it and noted it's about 5 off at road speed. With my newly gained throttle, I'm able to maintain speed on the local hills even in a fairly strong headwind. I drove about 50 miles today at road speed and the hubs were still cool. I didn't expect to go quite so far but the truck was such a pleasure to drive, I decided to take it to the Pilot truck stop to get fuel vice going into a cramped fuel station parking lot like I usually do. I did drive on a road with a 45 mph speed limit and barely gave any throttle at all to hold that speed. One final advantage I noted was loss of the 40 mph hop. I would always blame it on the truck sitting and slightly flatspotting the tires while doing so. I believe that actually was not the case after today's trip. It was likely the drivetrain fighting itself and the harmonics would "lash out" at that speed. If anybody is on the fence as to whether this modification is worth it, I absolutely think so. I do have a set of splined caps to play in the mud with if need be. For the most part, mine is a road truck. One thing my friend who modified these caps mentioned was that I need to engage my front axle to splash some oil around occasionally in the front differential. Of course you have to ensure you are completely stopped before engaging or your transfer case will not be happy.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

tobyS, the splines in my caps measure roughly 2 3/16" at the high points using a tape measure. My friend who desplined them might have more accurate measurements. He goes by Welder1 on this forum and his name is Eddie. He may not have measured though, he said he turned them until the metal looked the same meaning no more splines and went about 0.008 past that twice for a finishing pass. When I put them on, I pumped the ends full of grease. They were ambient temperature when I checked at the truck stop and when I got home. Roughly 25 miles each way and mostly 4 lane highway so I ran strong. When I put them on, I checked the clearance by twisting them. Zero resistance so I was good with that, today's trip confirmed that. I would like to point out that I'm not advertising a service in my review. I'm just posting real world experience in my opinion. I don't have a lathe or a sandblaster. I have a friend who has both and he doesn't advertise either. He asked me if more people would be interested in having this modification done and I pointed out to him that Patracy offers the service but hasn't had many bites. Shipping is probably the killer as the 5 ton caps are heavy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks