• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed my new passenger side windshield today, had to use a chisel to get to old one off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After my truck has been sitting for what seems like 6 months.. The first long stretch after installing the battery cutoff switch and fixing the fuel leak.. I was half expecting to have to use ether....

I think I might have gotten 3 rotations out of it before it fired right up......

As I was driving it, I was noticing the engine was a little louder than normal, and then remembered that the last time I filled up I didn't put the usual TCW3 2 stroke oil in. Stopped at Wallyworld, grabbed a gallon and dumped it in.. Usually it's ~1oz per gallon of fuel, but, meh, 80 gallons, 128oz, a little more doesn't hurt.... About 5 mins later it quieted right down....

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Technoweenie, do you get better fuel economy with two stroke oil? I have heard a few guys use it but not put too much research into it. What are the benefits other than lubrication and sound deadening?

therooster2001

Technoweenie, do you get better fuel economy with two stroke oil? I have heard a few guys use it but not put too much research into it. What are the benefits other than lubrication and sound deadening?
I think the benefits are making me read more of the site.. His original post had me searching for about two hours while I couldn't sleep. I got into biodiesel, oil additives, what happens when you accidentally put gas in, and lots of "data" on why it was the best and worst for the truck. Consensus was sound defeating, else it was a religious debate. I'd love to have come away with a path for what I am going to put in next time. I think I'm headed down the % of biodiesel route. That's what all I have done with my 5ton, I need to stop searching and go drive...

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL.

I drive it 100 miles a year, I don't have MPG #s.

Lubrication and noise reduction are the only reason I need ;)

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the benefits are making me read more of the site.. His original post had me searching for about two hours while I couldn't sleep. I got into biodiesel, oil additives, what happens when you accidentally put gas in, and lots of "data" on why it was the best and worst for the truck. Consensus was sound defeating, else it was a religious debate. I'd love to have come away with a path for what I am going to put in next time. I think I'm headed down the % of biodiesel route. That's what all I have done with my 5ton, I need to stop searching and go drive...
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/0911dp-fuel-additive-test/

NO ADDITIVE
Highway Average 14.6 mpg
City Average 13.7 mpg
Overall Average 14.1 mpg

TWO-STROKE PRE-MIX
Best Highway (one tank) 16.3 mpg
Best City (one tank) 14.9 mpg
Highway Average 15.6 mpg
City Average 14.6 mpg

OPTI-LUBE XPD
Best Highway (one tank) 17.4 mpg
Best City (one tank) 15.7 mpg
Highway Average 16.1 mpg
City Average 14.4 mpg

FPPF 8+ CETANE IMPROVER
Best Highway (one tank) 17.3 mpg
Best City (one tank) 15.0 mpg
Highway Average 16.1 mpg
City Average 14.9 mpg

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

7) Super Tech Outboard 2-Cycle TC-W3 Engine OilUnconventional(Not ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 or newer systems)HFRR 474, 162 micron improvement

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
https://youtu.be/uOCmXGN4GOQ

Some real country music for you, 74M35A2, by a genuine heavy metal artist. (Staind lead singer, Aaron Lewis)

You may experience some conflicting emotions. This is normal for a man your age going through this. Just let it happen.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Well today, I fitted a what 'you see iz watt you actually have' capillary water temperature gauge. The electrical ones are hopeless, and unpredictable. Also fitted new ceiling lights in the camper body, 240v and 24 volt. (Also a 'night light' over the beds. Then Fitted a nice double cab light while I was at it.

74M35A2

Sorry guys. I know I’ll lose any remaining friends saying this, but country music just makes my stomach upset.

dm, can you post a pic of the temp gauge you went with? How do you think it is for accuracy? I bought one, and tested it in boiling water, and it did not read 212F (100C), so I sent it back. Also, how are you handling the lighting for it?

Here is what I would play @ 67mph on the freeway in my 9:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee_uujKuJMI

therooster2001

I'm not a country fan either, actually rockabilly, which has some country roots, but we still love ya. Ok, back on track? I just ordered some opti-lube for fuel additive. Planning on firing up the truck after a 4 month hiatus on Thursday. 70 degrees forecasted in Denver and taking work off (mostly), probably hauling the MKT to a park to shake out the cobwebs and cook some burgers...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks