• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

nf6x

Feral Engineer
We cab help you out on the steps sir. Im working on a new breakaway step similar to the hemmt folding steps.
I'm interested in seeing what you come up with. I'm not familiar with the HEMTT steps yet, but I'll hit Google up for inspiration. I've seen steps on local telephone service trucks that were suspended by a couple of stubs of really thick wire rope.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sandcobra164/Joseph. Did you put a gage on and check rail pressures. I can bring my gage/hose with fittings to Ga. rally this year and we can check it if not. Just need to have the ball drilled out first. Glad you got it running good.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Have any of y'all tried hanging one of the 2.5-ton folding front bumper steps under the driver's side cab steps on an M939-series 5-ton? I think I might have one of the bumper step kits in a box somewhere.

big block 88

I have but it folds the wrong way it folds accross the step as apposed to with the step. So if you hit something with the step it wont fold out of the way correctly.

the cable ones i could slap together for you by saturday if you would like. Wouldnt need anything for it, we should have more than enough scrap around here to do it. Let me mock up a hemmt style for you to see. If it helps you stay your truck longer and easier id be happy to help.

Last edited:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I'm in no hurry, and I could probably fabricate something myself. I'm just looking for inspiration. I've seen cable-type ones on the likes of telephone and/or power company trucks.

big block 88

Cable ones arent too bad but i would like more stability myself they do gove way under my wide load butt. The old man is who needs them more. Parade duty with a bunch of off and on in and out climbs get him worn down.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Cable ones arent too bad but i would like more stability myself they do gove way under my wide load butt. The old man is who needs them more. Parade duty with a bunch of off and on in and out climbs get him worn down.
I was thinking of something as simple as a bar suspended by chains at each end, but I have a hunch that would just be a really efficient way to hammer my shins against the original step.

Getting up and down once in a while isn't all that bad for me, but it gets tiring really fast when I need to keep climbing up to operate the crane and down to touch the rigging. Dang wrecker bed needs an escalator, I tell you what. :D

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Im restless and can’t sleep, so I figure I’ll post up today’s couple hours progress; managed to prep for the head drop and pops came over with the skid steer and homemade jig to drop it into place. Piece of cake!

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Your jig gives me some ideas about how I might rig up something on my Kubota tractor to help me swap out the hydraulic crane hoist motor on my M936A1 wrecker. I think that motor is a bit heavier than I can man-handle by myself.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
Im restless and can’t sleep, so I figure I’ll post up today’s couple hours progress; managed to prep for the head drop and pops came over with the skid steer and homemade jig to drop it into place. Piece of cake!
Now don't lie, the beer keg in the last picture did most of the work :-D

big block 88

Your jig gives me some ideas about how I might rig up something on my Kubota tractor to help me swap out the hydraulic crane hoist motor on my M936A1 wrecker. I think that motor is a bit heavier than I can man-handle by myself.
Those little booms are handy. We made one for the 1845 for moving a buddies lathes and end mills around.

new design for side steps will be completed tomorrow (i think... weather pending of course)

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Was a busy 3500mi week. Met a few different great SS members a few small truck issues. Did have my first wheel failure. At around 60. Felt like a blowout just not how a runflat blowout feels. Was about 80mi of 2 lane highways from my destination and cant get the studs in store really so i bound ir up. Double chained. 25 to 35mph. Did real well. Was able to clean up the damaged stud heads. Put new lug nuts on drive it home. LMTV type wheel with 80k miles on it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Nice field repair work Wes. Lucky that wheel didn't decide to leave the truck and take out a Prius or something. Thanks again for your reports. Love reading them and seeing how much you drive and all the maintenance you do. Great work.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Nice field repair work Wes. Lucky that wheel didn't decide to leave the truck and take out a Prius or something. Thanks again for your reports. Love reading them and seeing how much you drive and all the maintenance you do. Great work.
Hemtt wheel .

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Are those lug nuts at full engagement Wes? Hard to see in the pics but those studs look shorts. Hemmt wheels are the same thickness i believe?
No they are not. The studs were cut off a little bit to get the boogered threads off. so i lost about an 1/8"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks