• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

branr1

What kind of ramps do you use to load up?
I bought a set of Big Boy II folding aluminum ramps that are 10 feet long and rated at 1,250 pounds each or 2,500 as the pair. I bought them from a guy on Craigslist 3 years ago. I only used them once after I purchased them so I thought this was a great opportunity to find a new use for them. They work great and fold in half and slide right under the SxS in the bed. I strapped them to the rear of the trucks when I was loading to so they wouldn't slide out. I'd like to build a ramp in the bed of the 5 Ton so I could drive up it and try to squeeze both SxS in the bed.

Last edited:

8madjack

Picked up some 2.5x1.5 tubing to make my troop seats. I would have just bought some but every time I find them at a reasonable price the shipping kills the deal. I took some pictures and measurements off my friends M35a2 and I'm going to fabricate them to look as close to original as I can with perhaps improvements. His uprights measure at three feet tall I'm just wondering if it's the same measurement for the 5-ton. From what I understand they are all pretty much interchangeable. I would have to modify a set for my truck anyways since it has an 11 foot bed.

As a side note I measured my stake pockets and it looks like 1.25 by 2.5 would be the proper tuning size and that's what we also measured on his deuce, but that size is not readily available commercially and I think the 1.5 will work.

I also played around and it yesterday shifting in and out of low range which I had difficulty with initially. At first I wasn't getting a full shift and it was going part way and then would just die when I tried to go into first gear. It's still finicky but I've got it down now.

8madjack

when someone was stealing the gas out of my daily driver 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban i tried to run a electric fence charger to it, had grounding issues with the hot line running to it and gave up too easy before i solved them, my other idea involved my tater cannon, a rag/double hand full of dry beans and my roof overlooking the driveway
I got the same gas stealing problem years ago when I lived in suburbs. I ran a bunch of monofilament fishing line around a trees and bushes by my truck with Fish Hooks every foot or so. Never had a problem again! :mrgreen:

tobyS

Picked up some 2.5x1.5 tubing to make my troop seats. I would have just bought some but every time I find them at a reasonable price the shipping kills the deal. I took some pictures and measurements off my friends M35a2 and I'm going to fabricate them to look as close to original as I can with perhaps improvements. His uprights measure at three feet tall I'm just wondering if it's the same measurement for the 5-ton. From what I understand they are all pretty much interchangeable. I would have to modify a set for my truck anyways since it has an 11 foot bed.

As a side note I measured my stake pockets and it looks like 1.25 by 2.5 would be the proper tuning size and that's what we also measured on his deuce, but that size is not readily available commercially and I think the 1.5 will work.

I also played around and it yesterday shifting in and out of low range which I had difficulty with initially. At first I wasn't getting a full shift and it was going part way and then would just die when I tried to go into first gear. It's still finicky but I've got it down now.
It would be nice to split them in half and or have an access from the outside fronts, like to the first upright without the seat. Splitting in half would allow some flexibility between load and people. I'm doing that on the m35 bed seats.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today's project is the resolution of the seating issue.

Pictures of the problem, and the solution.

Now to fab brackets....

I'm just going to mount the MRAP seat onto the springer base. I'm going to retain the original seatbelt that's part of the springer base.

Attachments

8madjack

It would be nice to split them in half and or have an access from the outside fronts, like to the first upright without the seat. Splitting in half would allow some flexibility between load and people. I'm doing that on the m35 bed seats.
Thats not a bad idea. Might have to consider that.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the same gas stealing problem years ago when I lived in suburbs. I ran a bunch of monofilament fishing line around a trees and bushes by my truck with Fish Hooks every foot or so. Never had a problem again! :mrgreen:
Passive booby traps are a felony most places, including California for sure.

Although generally speaking if you catch them in the act there's
not much limit to what you can do. It just can't be self activated.

8madjack

Passive booby traps are a felony most places, including California for sure.

Although generally speaking if you catch them in the act there's
not much limit to what you can do. It just can't be self activated.
I'm sure it is especially lethal ones. This was like 30 years ago and not that I would care now but I definitely didn't care back then! They couldn't have proved it was me, it was actually on the property line which was very close to my truck. He lucked out cuz I would have took a bat to him had I caught him. A friend of mine had a bunch of razor blades mounted underneath his Dash back when stereo stealing was real popular, but it was kind of a pyrrhic victory although we found blood all over his Jeep all the windows were smashed out the guy was obviously mad! :mrgreen:

Standard disclaimer - I hear you and I'm not advocating breaking the law of course...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks