• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

74M35A2

*SHIELD UP* Yes. I have a 2005 EFI 4 valve Cummins 400hp RV ISL engine hooked to a Roadranger 13 speed with dual disc clutch and hydraulic clutch release from a Freightliner Cascadia, sitting on the shop floor at my work, not (yet) installed. From the little I have seen and know, 2 others have installed (finished) full dual countershaft manual trans’s in the M939 series. Do yours first so I can learn what not to do. :)

Crf450x

*SHIELD UP* Yes. I have a 2005 EFI 4 valve Cummins 400hp RV ISL engine hooked to a Roadranger 13 speed with dual disc clutch and hydraulic clutch release from a Freightliner Cascadia, sitting on the shop floor at my work, not (yet) installed. From the little I have seen and know, 2 others have installed (finished) full dual countershaft manual trans’s in the M939 series. Do yours first so I can learn what not to do. :)
Wow that should be a monster when you get it together. I’m going Monday to search for a transmission. I plan to pull the cab off and do most of it from the top since I’ll be in a barn on a dirt floor. I might start a thread on it once I get the cab off. I’ll be pretty much committed then.

Crf450x

I’m in between jobs this week so I got a lot accomplished. My m923a0 was stuck in 6x6 so I started to bypass the valve that locks it in in low. Didn’t have the right fitting so I took the valve apart and found a tiny bit of rust. A shot of wd40 and it works good as new.
Ran 1/4” air tubing from all 3 axles to the intake before I blow out another wheel seal with the factory vents.
Replaced windshield wiper air hoses.

And the main event....I bought an rto9513, sae2 bell housing, flywheel, and clutch. Flywheel is being resurfaced and clutch rebuilt. Hoping to pick it up tomorrow.
Side note, also put a new heater core and dash in my 97 dodge. Been a productive week.
20C27DE2-49DF-42DB-80E9-33E5657E0EF8.jpeg65395A9C-E625-4522-B9F4-285287781D25.jpegE8938E83-A8A3-48C5-9683-FEBC8BDA1D07.jpeg

vvwilkins

Installed a Grover 1609 big rig air horn in THOR. While the original horn was working fine, it seemed to lack the appropriate presence people expect when seeing a 5ton roll down the road. I'm pleased with the new tonality a tap on the horn button now provides. Pictures attached... Removal of the original bracket and fab of a new bracket and mounting of the solenoid/air lines was required to fit. Youtube with sound can be found here:

Attachments

Ajax MD

Fired up the 5-ton for the first time in a few weeks. I took it for a nice long, leisurely drive around town and dropped off some food items for my father-in-law who is holed up in his house due to the virus.

Remember when you bought your first car as a kid, and it was a POS with all kinds of squeaks and rattles? Remember how you turned up the radio to mask all the scary noises? I've learned that if I wear my earplugs, it blocks all the high frequency noises like squeaks and rattles and the truck sounds GREAT!

As always, the truck behaved perfectly. It drove as smooth as a 5-ton can. I was really enjoying myself... until I got home.

I did my post-drive walk-around and found a very badly degraded torque rod bushing on one of the "top" torque rods...the scary ones with the brake lines zip-tied to them. So, no driving for me until I get at least those top 2 dog bones swapped out. :mad:

Do your post drive inspections! It'll save you a lot of grief and unpleasant surprises.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my front jake brake head milled out to clearance the radiator support bracket. The machinist removed .188" of material in the CNC so now the bracket sits just a hair below flush. Just another small step in my quest to add jakes to my M813A1.

*note: the jake heads are upside down in these pics.

20200326_172911.jpg
20200326_173003.jpg
20200326_173022.jpg

Crf450x

Figured I’d drive mine one last time before I tear it apart for the trans swap. Made it about 2 miles and the water pump locked up. She got to 240° quick.

Ordered a genuine Cummins pump for $140. Dealer wanted 370....

77 AMG

More pictures from today- I found out the fun way that I didn't have the right size nuts to mount the mudflaps to the new hanger brackets. That bites. We also will be adding a brace to front of the passenger side 2-up seat to add some much needed stability and support and probably re-skin both seats in water proof Goretex, since they are both pretty thread bare, along with raising the steering column about an inch and a couple other small things.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks