• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I came across that in an old post trying to see what other people had done. May wind up with something like that. I plan to rig up a vacuum gauge of some sort to see how much of a difference I can make.
Mine was pulling so hard it would suck the medium out of it. That was 42lbs from a big cam in one of those housings

Attachments

77 AMG

I managed to overspeed the engine in mine, overheat AND have it shut down, all at the same time, on the Interstate on the way home yesterday. Anyone else here happen to check off the "steer 5 ton at high speed on busy Interstate and NOT cause a wreck" part of their PQS yet? Now, it has a rattling noise in the top end, sounds like at the rear of the engine, since you can hear it at idle, in the cab. At least it made it to the farm. FML, man.

Crf450x

I managed to overspeed the engine in mine, overheat AND have it shut down, all at the same time, on the Interstate on the way home yesterday. Anyone else here happen to check off the "steer 5 ton at high speed on busy Interstate and NOT cause a wreck" part of their PQS yet? Now, it has a rattling noise in the top end, sounds like at the rear of the engine, since you can hear it at idle, in the cab. At least it made it to the farm. FML, man.
How did all that happen????

77 AMG

Well, from what I understand, the water pump is a cam-centric design and the if the belts are even a little bit loose, the pump will cavitate worse than normal. Having a non-functional temp gauge probably doesn't help, either. Also, blew the crankcase "cap" off of the valvecover when this happened.
IMG_20200805_171314.jpg

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I managed to overspeed the engine in mine, overheat AND have it shut down, ... Now, it has a rattling noise in the top end, sounds like at the rear of the engine, since you can hear it at idle, in the cab.
Bent push tubes? Mine has a road draft tube - I haven't seen the breather cap plumbed to the intake before...

77 AMG

Yeah, I've *always* thought that it was weird, being setup like that considering that the Deuce is a "draft tube" style as is the 923 at work. I am not going to mess with the truck until next week, as I am kind of heart broken, currently.

Ajax MD

Well, from what I understand, the water pump is a cam-centric design and the if the belts are even a little bit loose, the pump will cavitate worse than normal. Having a non-functional temp gauge probably doesn't help, either. Also, blew the crankcase "cap" off of the valvecover when this happened.
View attachment 808253
What you say about the water pump cavitation is concerning. When I replaced my belt, it was winter. Everything was so tight that I could barely get the belt over the pulley even with the water pump rotated to the closest point of approach.

Now it's summer and I've run the engine and the belt has stretched a bit and it's not as tight as I'd like it to be. If I loosen the bolts to rotate the pump and tighten the belt, I run the risk of a coolant leak if the copper crush gasket doesn't re-seal.

Frustrating.

Crf450x

What you say about the water pump cavitation is concerning. When I replaced my belt, it was winter. Everything was so tight that I could barely get the belt over the pulley even with the water pump rotated to the closest point of approach.

Now it's summer and I've run the engine and the belt has stretched a bit and it's not as tight as I'd like it to be. If I loosen the bolts to rotate the pump and tighten the belt, I run the risk of a coolant leak if the copper crush gasket doesn't re-seal.

Frustrating.
A genius design it is.

Ajax MD

@jonesal I hate heights. Your wife is a gem.

I took mine for a maintenance jog. I'm probably jinxing things by saying this but it starts, idles, runs, shifts and drives *perfectly*.
I definitely got some "WTF was that?!?" looks from the Jeep crowd.

I'd drive it more often if drivers around here weren't so friggin' stupid.

Last edited:

77 AMG

I'm getting ready to go pull the rocker covers and see if I can figure out what I hurt in the top of the engine when I oversped it a couple of weeks ago... sounds like rocker arm/ pushrod rattling in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks