• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Fresh set of new 16’s all around!
Drove 150 miles - couldn’t tell any difference in the ride - minor change on grades.
View attachment 824875View attachment 824876
I like your "sidekick". Just a fuzz shorter than those tires :cool:

Looks to me like he is happy to go for a ride in a big green truck with dad! Very Neat indeed.

Those sure are some monster looking tires for sure...

Bhpdbrad

Were you running 16s before? Were they a decent price?
No, I had the 14’s on the truck beforehand. They were getting old and 2 had rotted out so it was time to change. After changing two of them, I decided that was something I never wanted to do again.

The truck is a “toy” (not a working, daily hauler) so the slight decrease of climb on grades did not concern me.

Last edited:

Bhpdbrad

No, I had the 14’s on the truck beforehand. They were getting old and 2 had rotted out so it was time to change. After changing two of them, I decided that was something I never wanted to do again.

The truck is a “toy” (not a working, daily hauler) so the slight decrease of climb on grades did not concern me.
(Forgot to add price) I got them for about $350 each 95% takeoffs

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Finished putting light bars on today. I should be able to see pretty good now.
Any particular reason you are displaying your plate?

AA plates are only good to 9,000lb vehicles.

To get our own FMV plates is on the schedule to get passed this year

Crf450x

Wow!
Very Nice indeed.
You should definitely be able to back up in the dark for sure!
Thanks! If it’s worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.

Any particular reason you are displaying your plate?

AA plates are only good to 9,000lb vehicles.

To get our own FMV plates is on the schedule to get passed this year
Do you have a link to that info? I thought I studied the rules pretty thoroughly before I got the antique tag and never saw anything about weight...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks! If it’s worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.

Do you have a link to that info? I thought I studied the rules pretty thoroughly before I got the antique tag and never saw anything about weight...
There isn't. It is stated that anything over 9000lbs is a "limited private use" tag. That being the J tag. The troopers in Nashville will tell you for sure. I've never found any exact law on AA but the J tag description controls weight. It's Moronic. Only the troopers that wear the dark green and black ACUs will give you crap for it.

We have a historic military vehicle law just no mention of plate designation. But since you aren't required to display a tag in TN they gotta ask to know.

Crf450x

There isn't. It is stated that anything over 9000lbs is a "limited private use" tag. That being the J tag. The troopers in Nashville will tell you for sure. I've never found any exact law on AA but the J tag description controls weight. It's Moronic. Only the troopers that wear the dark green and black ACUs will give you crap for it.

We have a historic military vehicle law just no mention of plate designation. But since you aren't required to display a tag in TN they gotta ask to know.

Well that’s ridiculous. Cops are pretty lenient in my area so I’m just gonna hope for the best. Nashville is like a different world compared to where I am. As far as displaying the plate, I’d prefer to not get stopped so they can check and then have that lead to other questions that might pertain to the truck weight...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well that’s ridiculous. Cops are pretty lenient in my area so I’m just gonna hope for the best. Nashville is like a different world compared to where I am. As far as displaying the plate, I’d prefer to not get stopped so they can check and then have that lead to other questions that might pertain to the truck weight...
I've had the state reject the registrations on 931s cause when doing it in trucks with no title they want pictures with the notarized bill of sale. They marked it at body type TT. For tractor truck. Registration was suspended a few months after etc

Reach out to your local representative on the Fmv bill.

Crf450x

I've had the state reject the registrations on 931s cause when doing it in trucks with no title they want pictures with the notarized bill of sale. They marked it at body type TT. For tractor truck. Registration was suspended a few months after etc

Reach out to your local representative on the Fmv bill.
In that link you posted it says the bill was passed. I don’t know much about that stuff but if it was passed why isn’t it done? I couldn’t find anything on google about it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
In that link you posted it says the bill was passed. I don’t know much about that stuff but if it was passed why isn’t it done? I couldn’t find anything on google about it.
The non display is an active law. I was referring to the fmv specific tags for trucks and Trailers. It's on the 2021 legislation docket. If they have a full one

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Troubleshot smoking my battery (it was ganchy corroded connectors) changed them out, checked out my voltage draw, turns out my battery kill switch doesn't work, installed a heavy equipment battery interrupt to kill the batteries and took a paint chip into Lowes to have them match paint so I can start prepping/painting the truck to be pretty again and painted over the old unit markings in preparation for me to "make it mine"20210222_120419.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Troubleshot smoking my battery (it was ganchy corroded connectors) changed them out, checked out my voltage draw, turns out my battery kill switch doesn't work, installed a heavy equipment battery interrupt to kill the batteries and took a paint chip into Lowes to have them match paint so I can start prepping/painting the truck to be pretty again and painted over the old unit markings in preparation for me to "make it mine"View attachment 826537
Wow - a dent-less and bend-less bumper...
Didn't know those existed.

I thought they all came pre-bent and warped!

Paint looks nice...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks