• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good! Sorry for the noob question, but what seats are those in the truck?? Are the original ones that come in it or something you swapped out? I like them.
They're original and come with the ROPS trucks. GSS air ride seats. I've got a spare pair in tan if you're wanting some.

Ajax MD

Wow, those seats are bouji! ROPS trucks look like someone put a tophat on them. How much protection does the system really offer?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, those seats are bouji! ROPS trucks look like someone put a tophat on them. How much protection does the system really offer?
I'd imagine it to be safer than most MV soft skin vehicles for rollovers. With the cab being taller it's less likely to actually roll on its back and the piping for the cab bracing is sturdy. I don't see it being that helpful with any head on collisions unless you're not paying attention to parking garages or etc. lol.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally made some headway with my fuel tanks I got from Wes. I just picked them up from the weld shop and they fixed it up exactly the way I wanted them.
They welded some tabs on the tanks for attaching my vent tubes with p-clamps, and on one of the tanks they welded some threaded fuel bungs. The additional ports are for the transfer pump since my truck was missing the brass fuel valve when I bought it.

20211005_143345.jpg

20211005_143355.jpg

The pump is a carter 24v. The mount is bolted to some pre-existing holes in the frame crossmember in-between the fuel tanks.

20210824_140521.jpg

I also painted my fuel tank brackets, mounted the shields on both sides, and some new rubber insulator strips.

20211004_103957_HDR.jpg
I still have to make the diagonal brace for the top of the shield out of some 1/8" flat bar.

The inside of the tanks where a little dirty, but the vinegar solution Wes suggested work well so the weld shop was willing to weld on the tanks after cleaning.

20210824_144046_HDR.jpg

20210909_142055_HDR.jpg

Those little spots are just welding splatter left over from when the tank was built. They told me the tanks where filled with water when they welded them to keep the fumes of residue trapped in any pores from burning out. That's their policy.

20211005_150246.jpg

20211005_150222.jpg

I also got a 5 mile horn from my Father. I even found a great place to mount it when I get the time. I would probably have to mount an additional air tank some where and find a large solenoid, about 1/2" This would be a later project.
20210929_134254_HDR.jpg

20210929_134351_HDR.jpg

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a pretty epic horn! Someone's gonna soil their britches when that goes off
The name plate is painted over, but we think it's a Kahlenberg D3 naval horn. My Father told me it's a 5 mile horn. Meaning you can hear it clearly for 5 miles away on the Mississippi river. I like to think of it as a bad driver equalizer, and in and around the Memphis area one is needed!

CMPPhil

The name plate is painted over, but we think it's a Kahlenberg D3 naval horn. My Father told me it's a 5 mile horn. Meaning you can hear it clearly for 5 miles away on the Mississippi river. I like to think of it as a bad driver equalizer, and in and around the Memphis area one is needed!
Great horn, but after you sound that will there be enough air left for the brakes?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Probably not, I would more than likely have to mount additional air tanks some where on the truck.
So long as you pull air from of the tank that would power the factory air horn and windshield wipers - the truck is built to keep you from over extending yourself in the air tank that controls your brakes. I should know which one... If the air supply to your wipers (follow the feed) isn't enough, let me know and I will try to do better.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So long as you pull air from of the tank that would power the factory air horn and windshield wipers - the truck is built to keep you from over extending yourself in the air tank that controls your brakes. I should know which one... If the air supply to your wipers (follow the feed) isn't enough, let me know and I will try to do better.

My truck is of the M809 series. It has 2 air tanks, but they are connected in way that the two tanks operate as one. There is a very large tube that connects the rear of both tanks. Now the horn has a 1/2" inlet, and an 8" diaphragm. It also operates in the psi range from 100-250psi, and I think it uses 100 cfm at 100psi. With those requirements I think an another tank is needed.

tobyS

Hauling twelve loads of the road milling for top of the driveway. They let me chose the pile I'm being loaded from so I chose the clean, no dirt, few chunks and heavy on the tar, pile. Cost $30 a load....can't beat that.

The drive is 1/4 mile. It has 60 tri-axles of ones and twos but not near enough fines on top. This should help.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My truck is of the M809 series. It has 2 air tanks, but they are connected in way that the two tanks operate as one. There is a very large tube that connects the rear of both tanks. Now the horn has a 1/2" inlet, and an 8" diaphragm. It also operates in the psi range from 100-250psi, and I think it uses 100 cfm at 100psi. With those requirements I think an another tank is needed.
Wow Brutacus !

That is a LOT of CFMs of air. Yes sir. At that rate, it sure would be a definite plus to have another air tank. A one way check valve into the new tank with one air line out to the horn valve would be smart. HALDEX Part #KN23010 or Bendix Part #800393 would do the job. The Haldex is roughly $25

Haldex One way Check Valve KN23010.jpg

That will let air cascade from your other tanks into this one specifically for the air horn. You can "hang on the chain" until the person being blasted moves or you run out of air - and the brake tanks will still be protected.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow Brutacus !

That is a LOT of CFMs of air. Yes sir. At that rate, it sure would be a definite plus to have another air tank. A one way check valve into the new tank with one air line out to the horn valve would be smart. HALDEX Part #KN23010 or Bendix Part #800393 would do the job. The Haldex is roughly $25

View attachment 847319

That will let air cascade from your other tanks into this one specifically for the air horn. You can "hang on the chain" until the person being blasted moves or you run out of air - and the brake tanks will still be protected.

[/QUOT
Wow Brutacus !

View attachment 847319

Now I really like the idea of the check valve. I'll have to start planning this sooner than later. It makes me wonder where would be a good place to mount extra air tanks on an M818? That big horn really needs alot of air to be heard clearly 5 mile . I've seen them in 2,3, and 4 trumpet configurations. I don't even want to know how much air more than one horn would take.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You might be able tuck the tank up under the expanded metal that you walk on when you connect a trailer to your tractor. I call it a catwalk. I am sure there is some official name for it. ;-) If you put it on the passenger side of the truck, you won't stumble over the bolt heads. Suggest using threaded rod. to affix the tank and maybe a metal plate so the bolt won't slip through...

You just want to be high and tight somewhere. If you spot a better place like behind the step - that could work too. Just don't be stingy with the zip ties to hold the nylon lines close - so that don't get caught in a branch on the ground or something goofy. Be sure to get you some good DOT Approved line to tie the tanks together. Bigger is better for volume.

I am not certain, but a lot of those multiple horn configurations use the one stream of air to power all of them. I have a 5 trumpet set that will rattle your brain - but the 36 inch single trumpet that I have seems louder. It is a lot deeper sound too. Almost like a fog horn. They are a lot of fun to have for sure!

:cool:

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might be able tuck the tank up under the expanded metal that you walk on when you connect a trailer to your tractor. I call it a catwalk. I am sure there is some official name for it. ;-) If you put it on the passenger side of the truck, you won't stumble over the bolt heads. Suggest using threaded rod. to affix the tank and maybe a metal plate so the bolt won't slip through...

You just want to be high and tight somewhere. If you spot a better place like behind the step - that could work too. Just don't be stingy with the zip ties to hold the nylon lines close - so that don't get caught in a branch on the ground or something goofy. Be sure to get you some good DOT Approved line to tie the tanks together. Bigger is better for volume.

I am not certain, but a lot of those multiple horn configurations use the one stream of air to power all of them. I have a 5 trumpet set that will rattle your brain - but the 36 inch single trumpet that I have seems louder. It is a lot deeper sound too. Almost like a fog horn. They are a lot of fun to have for sure!

:cool:
You know exactly what I was thinking. My cat walk is off the truck right now, but I have noticed the space in the frame on the passenger side. I was thinking of a frame mount that wouldn't hang off the cat walk, but the short wheel base of the M818 and the drive shaft on the driver side limits the size of the tank I can place back there. It seems to be a good location, but how big of a tank would I really need for that horn big? A tank to small wouldn't let do too much with it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You know exactly what I was thinking. My cat walk is off the truck right now, but I have noticed the space in the frame on the passenger side. I was thinking of a frame mount that wouldn't hang off the cat walk, but the short wheel base of the M818 and the drive shaft on the driver side limits the size of the tank I can place back there. It seems to be a good location, but how big of a tank would I really need for that horn big? A tank to small wouldn't let do too much with it.
A quick look at one of my M-936 tanks shows it to be about 28 inches long and about 8 inches tall off the mounting bracket. I seem to remember somebody saying that was a 4 1/2 gallon tank maybe. As soon as you start using, the compressor will start pumping, so your air will "grow" as you use it.

It has been a long time ago, but I used to have an air horn rigged under the hood of my pickup truck. Didn't have a compressor. Had to go home or the local service station (back when air was free) to refill my air tank. Being young and dumb I do remember running out of air - but only because of the "dumb part".

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is how much room I'm working with. I think thats enough room to hang a tank about 29" long. Maybe a little shorter. I don't think with a tank hanging down would be an issue, because it would still be above the bottom of the fuel tank brackets.

20211007_144503.jpg

20211007_144454.jpg

I'll have to check a couple of big truck junk yards around my area and see what I can come up with.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This is how much room I'm working with. I think thats enough room to hang a tank about 29" long. Maybe a little shorter. I don't think with a tank hanging down would be an issue, because it would still be above the bottom of the fuel tank brackets.

View attachment 847340

View attachment 847342

I'll have to check a couple of big truck junk yards around my area and see what I can come up with.
Sure looks like that would work - or you could turn the tank by 90 - and maybe go above the driveshaft. Assuming there is enough height... I have seen short fat (maybe 12 or 14 in tall tanks that are about eighteen or twenty inches long - maybe a little less than that. If you can wonder around a big truck junkyard - you definitely might find some magic! I have seen short fat tanks on triaxle dump trucks. Hopefully...

Ajax MD

I made the annual winter pellet fuel pilgrimage today. The best deal was a little further away so I enjoyed a one hour round trip drive through the country side.

These shops always make me laugh.

"I'd like 2 tons of pellets please."
"You mean... all at once?"
"Yes please. "
"You mean delivered?"
"No, right here, right now. "
"Do you have a trailer?"
"No, we'll just put them in the back of my Honda Civic."
(Eyes bug out)
"Look, I have a big truck outside. Can you just bring them around with your forklift please?"

Sheesh.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks