• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am so much looking forward to our local library hosting a Touch-A-Truck event here in Charlotte! I have recruited several other kinds of trucks that are Customers of ours. Really looking forward to having a big time doing that next month!!
This type of event is a lot of fun and I wish they had them when I was a kid. We had 3 helicopters buzz in and land within 20 minutes of each other. When the huey was on its final approach I had to check on the Vietnam vets to make sure they weren't hiding in the bushes...they have such a distinctive sound to them

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in the process of changing out a lower rear torque rod bushing. What a PITA.... Between the paint and gunk on the bolts (which I wire brushed in an attempt to clean them), ratcheting the axel into position so I can access the bolts around the torque rod... it's fighting me every step of the way.

It has stalled out a 1/2" and 3/4" drive impacts (electric) and accessing the top of the bolts... 🤦‍♂️

My uncle is coming this morning with his service truck which has a 1" impact and air compressor and, if that doesn't work, a cutting torch.

I have to replace the bolts and nuts any way as the threads on the old ones are shot.

If the bushing isn't loose or spinning in the mount, you'll need a 2-1/4" striking wrench. I used a 3 lbs. short sledge to turn it. The striking wrench is the one at the top. It can be a real pain for sure, but that's what it takes to do that job... that and lots of curse words.

wrenches and air hammer 1.JPG

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the bushing isn't loose or spinning in the mount, you'll need a 2-1/4" striking wrench. I used a 3 lbs. short sledge to turn it. The striking wrench is the one at the top. It can be a real pain for sure, but that's what it takes to do that job... that and lots of curse words.

View attachment 868239
I don't think mine have been changed.... ever. .. ended up having to get the gas wrench out.
20220521_090359.jpg

Then a 16 lb maul...

20220521_092329.jpg

20220521_095654.jpg

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 925A1 has been in the warehouse for 3 years have just been to busy with a Power Wagon Restoration to do anything with it. Early last week I picked up a new set of batteries and checked oil belts etc. I have one rear right single a bit low but my goal was to start the truck. Got the batts installed and I generally shut the fuel off at the IP and turn the engine over till oil pressure shows on the gauge then turn the fuel on and fire it up, well this time I didnt touch the fuel and just started cranking and I got some oil pressure just about immediately on the gauge and right after that she fired up and idles perfectly. I waited a little while and then brought RPMs up to 900 to 1000 and air pressure came up as it should the air bleeder kick off excess pressure, everything is good to get it home and get a PM and oil change done, I sure missed driving that truck!

Micmada

I'm in the process of changing out a lower rear torque rod bushing. What a PITA.... Between the paint and gunk on the bolts (which I wire brushed in an attempt to clean them), ratcheting the axel into position so I can access the bolts around the torque rod... it's fighting me every step of the way.

It has stalled out a 1/2" and 3/4" drive impacts (electric) and accessing the top of the bolts... 🤦‍♂️

My uncle is coming this morning with his service truck which has a 1" impact and air compressor and, if that doesn't work, a cutting torch.

I have to replace the bolts and nuts any way as the threads on the old ones are shot.

View attachment 868213

View attachment 868214
I wouldn't feel less of a man to ask help for this. Little nightmare in a box.

Micmada

Went to local Forrest Service Military surplus scrap yard, found a few heavy duty snatch blocks and a couple crane big chains. The guy wanted to sell me a whole crane attachment, he had a couple taken off deuces and still good. Not sure how I would fit this to my 5 ton, though. Any idea if it is a doable project? He had a few tires and other goodies. Pity I have to go on deployment this week. I would have plaid around more.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Went to local Forrest Service Military surplus scrap yard, found a few heavy duty snatch blocks and a couple crane big chains. The guy wanted to sell me a whole crane attachment, he had a couple taken off deuces and still good. Not sure how I would fit this to my 5 ton, though. Any idea if it is a doable project? He had a few tires and other goodies. Pity I have to go on deployment this week. I would have plaid around more.
I could spend days walking around looking at pieces and parts like that. The old mechanical crane would be neat to have and even neater cleaned up and working. That would take lots of time and effort but the reward at the end could almost be priceless.

As far as mounting it on your 5-Ton just for looks - sure thing - just for looks.

Making it operational would require something to drive that chain under the operators station. A mechanical transmission drove an almost direct drive PTO off the transfer case. Higher gears made things happen faster. Is there any chance you could recover the entire truck?

Micmada

I could spend days walking around looking at pieces and parts like that. The old mechanical crane would be neat to have and even neater cleaned up and working. That would take lots of time and effort but the reward at the end could almost be priceless.

As far as mounting it on your 5-Ton just for looks - sure thing - just for looks.

Making it operational would require something to drive that chain under the operators station. A mechanical transmission drove an almost direct drive PTO off the transfer case. Higher gears made things happen faster. Is there any chance you could recover the entire truck?
Interesting idea. Just a matter of finding a trailer or maybe putting on decent wheels and dragging it out,

Superthermal

Mounted a 10' gas pipe with stainless 1" ubolts to the front right bumper for the USA flag to mount for the upcoming July 4th parade. Tested the height... 11'6" to ensure safe visibility with my 3'x5' Stars and Stripes. Looks about right.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Apparently I can't keep Bertha together.... or she is conspiring to keep me from working on the M37....

I managed to lose the top of my exhaust...

View attachment 869737

So if anyone has one, please let me know!
I installed a NOS muffler several months back.
The stack was somewhat high dollar, so I decided that an off the shelf pipe and clamps would do the job.
Picture attached.

Stack.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Touch-A-Truck Event here in Charlotte

So, with today being Flag Day it was perfect timing to bring two of my trucks out on a road trip. The public library's are hosting those events nationwide. I snapped a few pictures. We had a Fire Truck, Charlotte Water camera truck, a Library Inter-Office delivery van, an All Electric City Bus, a Police Car, two Hunter Wrecker rotators, and there were a few others that I saw but couldn't get the opportunity to go visit.

Touch-A-Truck Poster.jpg

There were "young'uns" that ranged in age from a few months old to teenagers. Everyone was polite and surprisingly courteous too! Only had one of the older youngsters that started flipping switches while sitting in the drivers seat. I spent a lot of time lifting short people up into the truck or standing behind them to be sure they didn't slip.

Today was supposed to reach 101 today, so I was pretty thrilled when it rained really hard at about eight this morning. It stayed cool with an occasional sprinkle of rain until about ten. It stayed overcast and the temperature stayed below 80 until the end of the event.

We all know it didn't happen if there aren't any pictures, so here they are. :cool:

Touch-A-Truck 2022 01.jpg Touch-A-Truck 2022 03.jpg Touch-A-Truck 2022 05 (50Ton) American Flag.jpg
Touch-A-Truck 2022 10.jpg Touch-A-Truck 2022 12.jpg Touch-A-Truck 2022 13.jpg
Touch-A-Truck 2022 14.jpg Touch-A-Truck 2022 15 CFD#1-1.jpg Touch-A-Truck 2022 18 CMUD Camera Truck.jpg

Things I just have to say:
The swing attached to the cables on the Hunter Wrecker was a BIG HIT!
The CMUD Camera Truck with the Air Conditioned workspace was a big hit too!
The Big Green Trucks (Mk23 and M1089) were a big hit
Our police department guys had Badges (stickers) to hand out. Big hit with the kids.
Our fire department guys had Badges too. Theirs were bigger and more appealing
Coloring Sheets in the Library Van was a big hit too.

In the printing business - you would expect "that guy" to have had some stickers or a coloring page or two. Guess what? Nope. Never crossed my feeble mind... That won't happen again. Black and White pictures of the trucks I have will be ready for next time and some sort of stickers too!

I want to also draw special attention to the swing.
I will have one of those next time for sure!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Touch-A-Truck Event here in Charlotte

So, with today being Flag Day it was perfect timing to bring two of my trucks out on a road trip. The public library's are hosting those events nationwide. I snapped a few pictures. We had a Fire Truck, Charlotte Water camera truck, a Library Inter-Office delivery van, an All Electric City Bus, a Police Car, two Hunter Wrecker rotators, and there were a few others that I saw but couldn't get the opportunity to go visit.

View attachment 870377

There were "young'uns" that ranged in age from a few months old to teenagers. Everyone was polite and surprisingly courteous too! Only had one of the older youngsters that started flipping switches while sitting in the drivers seat. I spent a lot of time lifting short people up into the truck or standing behind them to be sure they didn't slip.

Today was supposed to reach 101 today, so I was pretty thrilled when it rained really hard at about eight this morning. It stayed cool with an occasional sprinkle of rain until about ten. It stayed overcast and the temperature stayed below 80 until the end of the event.

We all know it didn't happen if there aren't any pictures, so here they are. :cool:

View attachment 870378 View attachment 870379 View attachment 870380
View attachment 870381 View attachment 870382 View attachment 870383
View attachment 870384 View attachment 870385 View attachment 870386

Things I just have to say:
The swing attached to the cables on the Hunter Wrecker was a BIG HIT!
The CMUD Camera Truck with the Air Conditioned workspace was a big hit too!
The Big Green Trucks (Mk23 and M1089) were a big hit
Our police department guys had Badges (stickers) to hand out. Big hit with the kids.
Our fire department guys had Badges too. Theirs were bigger and more appealing
Coloring Sheets in the Library Van was a big hit too.

In the printing business - you would expect "that guy" to have had some stickers or a coloring page or two. Guess what? Nope. Never crossed my feeble mind... That won't happen again. Black and White pictures of the trucks I have will be ready for next time and some sort of stickers too!

I want to also draw special attention to the swing.
I will have one of those next time for sure!
Nice job Tim !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks