• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief1983

Made an appointment with eTrailer to get a hitch (Draw-Tite 75129) installed. Got some references from the forum for them to get ideas from, they're going to see if they can install it, and if so, document it and install it for free. If they go through with it I'll post an updated. Although when they see what I bring them, they may think twice about their free install offer...

Red_506

Finally replaced my driver side headlight. The screws were rusted up so bad I had been looking for a new bucket assembly; then I heard about PB Blaster and decided to use it. That stuff is AMAZING! I got the screws out with minimal effort after having used nearly every penetrating fluid I had ever heard of. I'm a happy boy today. :D

HoJoPo

Just picked up my M1010 from the transmission shop, the 700R4 swap went well, and it's MUCH better on the freeway, and much quieter too. The lower first gear helps it get moving better too. I still have to get used to the different shift points, and the kick down may not quite be working correctly at full throttle (works great at 1/2 to 3/4), but other than that, it's worlds better than the TH400.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Just an update on my M1009...
On your advice, I went to advance auto to have the pulley pulled off my old alternator,
and put on my new one.
Then when I got home, I installed it myself, did not take that long to do.
Once in and checked to make sure it was done right, and the belts are tight, etc.

I took it on a short test drive around my neighborhood without incident,
so far so good. It now starts, runs, and drives just fine, and the volt meter needle,
stays in the middle of the green. Good sign, I hope?

Next on my list to do is doing the doghead mod once I print out his instructions,
and get the part, probably from Oreilly, if that's where I can get it cheapest.

Good night, God bless all of you, Thanks for all the advice, etc.

CJ

P.s. On a side note, once I was done with my M1009, I installed a new headlight,
on my gf's car.. Since I was already out there with my tools, etc.

wrex

Cleaned it out a bit to get ready to install floor covering and Tuffy Box.

Removed passenger seat (wil remove driver when I actually install the covering), removed Toughbook laptop shock mount and various other things. Rear seat was already removed for other work. May replace it with jumpseats facing each other, after making frame mounts, instead of putting back.

Attachments

Last edited:

JSF01

The rear seat belts should be the same as on the civy one right? I was cleaning out my truck yesterday and discovered the center buckle and belt had been completely removed. I had always just though it had gotten pushed between the seats, but I guess not. I probably should have known that years ago, but the only time people sit back there is when I DD and then they usually are too drunk to operate a seatbelt any way. I figure I mine as well install one any way.

K9Vic

Installed a tilt steering wheel in my M1010 to allow more clearance as those bucket seats are higher in the M1010 cab then a M1009. Bought a nice used column I found on Craigslist for $100 and got it all installed and the key turned only to the full on/run position, did not turn to start. I was like great, $100 spent and it does not work. So I Google searched on how to change the ignition cylinder, bought the right tools and changed it out. Now it turns all the way and I have a nice tilt steering wheel. The old cylinder was bad and it stopped just before the start position as when in the column.

So with the extra column I put that in a M1009 I just bought that had a bad turn signal switch with non-CUCV key. So to keep that original and fix the turn signal issue I put it in that M1009. Kind of a run around process, but I want to keep this M1009 as stock as possible. On this same M1009 have also done, glow plugs, GP Relay, GP bypass, Doghead relay, rear glass, batteries and belts. Still needs for sure harmonic balancer, & exhaust work. Will complete a complete drive train inspection and repair as needed. I will make a build post soon as I have some more progress on it later this week.

Last edited:

wired1000

I replaced my transmission vacuum lines. Wow, were they old, cracked, and brittle! Felt like they were made out of charcoal or something... they came off, crunched, and left my hands covered in black dust when I pulled them off.

Oddly enough, my trans shifted just fine both before and after the replacement.

rockycc1

Thanks to all you guys that have given us newbies a weath of info. I got a lot done yesterday. I repalced the battery cables, new batteries, upgraded the GP relay and installed a momentary
GP button, bypassed the 24-12 volt resistor, did the Doghead starter relay upgrade, and installed a K&N air filter. I still need to replace wiper blades, replace the rear window crank handle, and replace the windshield. Then I can get to the body work. Mainly normal rust areas on the rocker panels and on the fenders. There's about a hundred other little things I need to do but I only have so much time.

Recovry4x4,
I was thinking about how to honor David. I was thinking about mounting a small chaplains plaque on the tail gate with Davids name and dates and any other pertenant info you may have. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

new shoes

Finally did a little minor fender trimming on the rear box, and installed the 33x12.50 Dunlop Mod Rovers I've had sitting in my garage awhile now. Can't way to try them out in the dirt and snow!! Pics will be up soon in my album.

jdeoliveira74

The rear seat belts should be the same as on the civy one right? I was cleaning out my truck yesterday and discovered the center buckle and belt had been completely removed. I had always just though it had gotten pushed between the seats, but I guess not. I probably should have known that years ago, but the only time people sit back there is when I DD and then they usually are too drunk to operate a seatbelt any way. I figure I mine as well install one any way.
yes they are the same... I need to replace my too its on the list :-o that grows longer and longer every day

unaffiliated

@chief1983: I am sooooo jealous. I want one of the grill covers really bad. I don't really need it here in Georgia, but I sure do want it. I also want a set of Jatonka canvas seat covers for my 1008. Anyway, today I performed the 00,000 mile PM service. Yes, she turned over 100K on Saturday. Did the oil change, greased the front end, changed the fuel filter, plus all the usual checks. I put some old fuel from one of my junk cars in the tank on Thursday night and it must have had crap in it because she started holding back on hills and sputtering a little the next day. Seems to be OK with new filter, just got home from a 95 mile drive and she did just fine. Still got a long list of stuff to do, but one thing at a time as money allows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks