• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billman

The list is long and I've only had my M1009 for 3 weeks. Mainly maintenance related stuff, a few upgrades and hunted down a few electrical gremlins. It's been fun so far and I'm really enjoying the process. By the way, if the wife happens to ask the following list only cost about $100 to complete. It sure is cheaper to restore one of these comapred to classic Corvettes.

engine oil and filter
tranny fluid, gasket and filter
front and rear differential fluid change
transfer case fluid change
upper and lower radiator hoses
replaced a leaking hydroboost line and cleaned the mess
heater hoses
flush and refill coolant
belts
doghead relay
glowplug relay
repaired a bad ground causing the turn signals to be very slow and dim (no jokes please)
repaired a bad wire to the oil pressure sending unit
tons of cleaning and detailing of the engine bay
new batteries
all new battery cables
new inner fender liners on both sides with CAPA approved parts
glow plug control board
new wiper blades

I know I'm forgetting a few dozen more things. I have the dreaded type A personality which causes me to work everyday and night until a project is completed and nearly perfect.

This community has been invaluable in my quest for CUCV knowledge. With the help of a few local friends Lapua Dan and Midcounty it's all coming together.

Amen Billman.....on cheaper than restoring a corvette... i just paid 25.00 for a heater blower knob for my 84 Cross-WIRED Corvette.... lol yeah yeah.. i know... But its quickly adding up on my m1009.... with still ALOT of mods left to do......

good luck on your project....

chevyCUCV

Had a slow drip of oil that escalated the other day. Turns out it is Diesel. Look under the intake and the valley was wet wet.
Didnt want to, but i pulled the intake to get a better look, found that i could easily snug the top lines, so i removed them and tightened the bottom lines, the reassembled the top. I then started it up without the intake to check if it was still dripping, which made a funny noise, but ran ok.

Then the rain came, so i closed the hood and left it with the intake sitting in there, need to go tighten it in.

ratchet196

Just got the 1008 from the shop after trans rebuild, new drag links, diff service.

Made a huge difference just that it seems it still wants to start in second gear all the time. Vacuum pump?

The project continues..........

Just got the 1008 from the shop after trans rebuild, new drag links, diff service.

Made a huge difference just that it seems it still wants to start in second gear all the time. Vacuum pump?

Lol Ratchet i take it u live up to your screen name lol im so with ya my friend i just did a tilt column swap I LOVE IT my army m1008 will get the same treatment did the tierodends for the steering im how ever beating myself up over some sloppy steering havent quite got whats causeing that THE PROJECT CONTINUES :popcorn:

Whens the last time you put in a new transmission modulator and new vac lines? just a thought, it fixed my transmission issues and was like 12 bucks from napa or autozone

chief1983

I had to replace all the expensive parts of my vacuum system to fix my shift problems, unfortunately. Started with the pump when I found out that it wasn't creating any vacuum, then had to do the valve on the IP because it was shot (even tried disassembling it and refurbishing it to no avail), and I never had to touch the lines or the modulator. I have a spare modulator just in case, but it's shifting great now so I'll probably just take that back.

allenhillview

Summer 1008 Updates

Just a few things over the last 4 months, nothing special just things for a piece of mind on a road trip, cooler seat, synthetic diff oil, trasmission cool pan ORD front spring update, stabilizer rubber, brake line hose, brakes-front-rear, camber correction 1/2 degree, king pin bushings and bearing check- did not replace bearings but took down and repacked-, hood insulation-jegs-went well.
Thanks to all who have added things that inspire.

Attachments

Keith_J

Not much...the EUC came in today, insurance and temp plates. Tomorrow at 0500, the crew and I depart for WI on a 1300 mile recovery, then a 1300 mile flat tow back. Yes, we have proper military tow bar, tools, lights and hands. In case the tow vehicle breaks down, we can reconnect driveshaft and use the towed for self-recovery.

Pics? Sure. 9009 miles on the odometer, 1 hour on the service generator (3 phase 12kW)

Attachments

joediveguy

New radio

Just got done installing a CD stereo and rear speakers. I found a nice JVC Stereo in a u pull it lot and thought it would work in my CUCV, so $5 later it was mine. Mounted it in my center console because I did not want to cut the dash and ran wires to a pair of 6X9’s mounted in a 30 cal ammo cans, mounted on the wall just in front of the passenger seats. Had to fab a bracket and weld it in but fits and works like a charm. I have a pair of small Panasonic speakers just waiting to complete the package under the dash.

Attachments

Last edited:
stereo install looks good.

Yesterday Put all new spicer solid u joints in, sand blasted the drive line free of rust, painted and balanced. Serviced front diff, got rid of the stupid felpro gasket and replaced with high torque grey rtv. New pinion seal in front diff also.

took the 09 and the wife out with two other trucks to go wheel around. Got aggressive and my buddy blew a bead on his 40" tire, of course he had no socket to fit his tire, nor a hilift jack. So we took the 09 home grabbed a huge snap on tool set and went back out. Used our 48" high lift on his giant truck with the use of a few pallets, got a spare on. On our way to the next spot his trans starts leaking real bad. Out comes the tool kit again to tighten, he over torqued something and broke something. So we towed him in the 09 all the way back only a few miles thankfully on base. But my wife and I were very pleased wit our simple 09 with good 33" and it out performed a civilian 08 with 6" lift and 40"s.

I was also blown away how many folks are not prepaired for something simple like a tire change, a socket set, etc. Makes me glad to keep everything for our truck on board, at least that we can afford.

MN1028

lots of new modifications

hi new poster here so ive been real busy reading up on cucv mods. i have an 86 m1028. ive rebuilt both alts with brand new guts from cucv elec, mounted a reciever hitch and made up a new licence plate bracket. thanks for all the ideas and instructions btw id use a draw tite 41903 fits real nice

Attachments

New power steering pump and hoses are on order from napa got the gear box yesterday The Project continues lol then may be next week new brakes [thumbzup]:grd:i love my m1008 i love my m1008 :popcorn:

Ps Mn 1028 Welcome to the site i love your rig man that thing is the Original HD[thumbzup]Sweet ride

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
Just got done installing a CD stereo and rear speakers. I found a nice JVC Stereo in a u pull it lot and thought it would work in my CUCV, so $5 later it was mine. Mounted it in my center console because I did not want to cut the dash and ran wires to a pair of 6X9’s mounted in a 30 cal ammo cans, mounted on the wall just in front of the passenger seats. Had to fab a bracket and weld it in but fits and works like a charm. I have a pair of small Panasonic speakers just waiting to complete the package under the dash.
I'm so going to use that ammo can speaker box idea in my wife's truck. looks good hows the sound? Good and clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks