• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jets1959

Did mine last year but helped out a buddy and changed out his injector pump last night. It was leaking as fast as the main pump could send fuel to it.

CycleJay

Cyclejay, all of the bulbs come out from the back side of the cluster by turning the socket 1/4 turn. No need to pull the gauges. You should be able to get to all of them from under the dash. If you have broken pieces on your shift indicator you will need to replace them.
Thank you for the advice...

I will have to try it that way, when I go back in there. But can the bulbs be removed from the front,
without having to remove the sockets from the back side at all?

The shift indicator works fine when I take it out of the cluster, and pull on the string while it is in my hand,
it is just connecting it, and getting it to work when it is installed that is the problem, because of that broken piece
of instrument cluster.
So I am on the hunt for a new cluster to fix this problem once and for all.
I have checked the junk yards in my area for a civy cluster, but none of them has had one yet.

Just my $0.02 cents..

All the other bulbs work though, except behind the fuel gauge, since the socket is missing.

Where do I find one?
I had a heckuva time finding the right size socket as I had one missing also. Apparently they come in 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8". Nobody around me carried the 5/8 sockets so i bought some off ebay, Dorman brand. If you need to replace your cluster anyway, chances are good that when you find one in a salvage yard you will also end up with sockets. And yes, you CAN pull the bulbs out internally after removing the speedometer and gas gauge, but that is doing it the hard way...

CycleJay

I had a heckuva time finding the right size socket as I had one missing also. Apparently they come in 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8". Nobody around me carried the 5/8 sockets so i bought some off ebay, Dorman brand. If you need to replace your cluster anyway, chances are good that when you find one in a salvage yard you will also end up with sockets. And yes, you CAN pull the bulbs out internally after removing the speedometer and gas gauge, but that is doing it the hard way...
Hello Twomorestrokes,

Thank you for the information.
I will check into all that when I get to that point, I will look for a socket while I am looking for a cluster too.
And if I end up replacing the entire cluster, I will make sure to install all new bulbs, before installing the cluster in the dashboard.
Same goes if I have to take the cluster out to replace that one missing socket.

By the way, sometimes I do not mind doing things the hard way, because then, it is a challenge.
Like when I sometimes shoot an art model, now THAT is hard work. I do not recommend for just anyone.
Except for the tough.

Just my $0.02 cents...

Last edited:

Old Rusty m1008

my CUCV is a work in progress. Ive changed all the fluids, swapped in a newly covered seat, changed both inner and outer fenders, changed the bent tie rod ends and had the wheels aligned, ordered skyjacker shocks for it, changed the leaky rusted exhaust and repaired the glow card system . Still to come body work and paint and a new dash pad After all of that all I plan to do is drive it til the wheels fall off

CycleJay

Don't knock the Pabst! My swill of choice! I one a blue ribbon once I heard.;-)

I just did a spin on fuel filter mod. Good, fun stuff.
Hello Tom,

I just saw this on the bottom of your last post:
"Owner of: 1985 M1009 and way too much other OD, camo and desert tan military odd and ends."

And I was thinking... If you ever want to get rid of some of that other OD, especially if it is green or camo,
please feel free to send it my way, and I will try to pay a fair price. Unless you just want to give it away.
I will be sure to give whatever it is a good home. LOL...

By the way, if you do not mind me asking, what kinds of odds and ends are they anway.

Good day...

Just my $0.02 cents...

4-64 Armor

I recently replaced the alternator and starter relay.... and re-wired the charging system by-passing the ammeter and re-routing wires around some damaged/burnt bulkhead connections.1977 Dodge M882 077.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks