• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_506

I just got done doing a bunch of stuff. I replaced my dimmer switch. Installed a new horn as the truck was missing it when I bought it. Did the Doghead starter relay mod. I replaced the wiper blades. Lastly I installed the bracket for a fire extinguisher.

Keith_J

Replaced the front shock absorbers after a horrible incident last night. Doing 30-35 MPH on a bumpy county road with 45 MPH posted limit, the front axle went into a 2-3 Hz oscillation. Felt like full suspension travel, lasted for 4-5 seconds until the truck stopped with mild braking force.Both shocks were leaking with the steering damper. That is next.

Vhyle

I was rebuilding one of the alternators last night, but the reinstall has been postponed. I screwed up the threads on the rotor and pulley nut, so now I can't fix it until I take it to work tomorrow and (hopefully) repair the threads! It sucks. The nut I'm not too worried about - I can find another one. I just hope I can repair the threads on the rotor. THey aren't THAT malformed so we'll see. I've done worse repairs.

I also popped out a dent in the driver's door that my wife put in there. Hah. No big deal.

There's a few other electrical things I'm going to do, but I will wait until I can get the alternator back on track. GP resistor bypass is one of them. I also need to diagnose the blower motor, and I would like to test each GP just to be sure they're all working. I have a sneaking suspicion that one of them may be bad. All the more reason to bypass the resistors.

I'll also order a new fuel pump, since this one is leaking a fair bit. I'll replace the rubber hose as well. It looks very old, highly saturated and swollen. Time to replace it.

CycleJay

Hi all,

Not a darn thing lately since getting the cooling system and heater overhauled.
It starts, runs, drives, and stops just fine. And has become very reliable.
So I am very happy with it right now. And I am going to be getting a new set of tires very soon too.

Will post updates...

Just my $0.02 cents...

hunderliggur

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

Changed the oil and looed into why the belts were squeaking. Broken power steering mount :-(. Looking for a replacement. Troubleshooting the wipers which stopped working. Jumped the motor to see if it was the switch or the motor. Motor worked, hooked it up again and now the switch works but wiper is slow. Need to trouble shoot the wiper switch ground I guess. I miss driving my M1009 but it is tough without wipers, and tougher now with loose belts and pump!

Dirty1

I was hooking up my electric/hydraulic pump and caused some sort of electrical problem. The headlights are intermittent, the turn signals don't work when the headlights are on, the volt gauge is in the yellow and other little things going on. Looks like I have a lot of troubleshooting I do this week. Lol!

SRB1976

Did the GP resistor bypass today. Started the truck yesterday and during the glow plug cycle a bunch of smoke came out from under the hood:shock: Yep fried resistor.

Keith_J

Did the GP resistor bypass today. Started the truck yesterday and during the glow plug cycle a bunch of smoke came out from under the hood:shock: Yep fried resistor.
The resistor will get hot. Smoke from it means something flammable is on the resistor coils.

Vhyle

So it turns out I need an M18x1.25 die to repair the threads on my alternator, and I'm having a helluva time finding a die in that size. The various tap/die sets at Harbor Freight didn't have that size, and the auto parts store didn't have it either. Hopefully there is one in the motorpool tomorrow that I can use. This is killing me! The truck has been inop for the last 2 days and I just wanna drive it again.

Well, here's to hoping for a successful tomorrow.

I understand the procedure and the reasons for doing so having just done it myself this week while putting new GP's in. What I don't understand is why his resistor is smoking if he bypassed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks