• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevymike

Opps, I was talking about the transfer shift bezal, since I referenced that needing a light. I'll look for those screws again. Must have missed them the first time. Mine is broken off on the upper pass. side corner so I'll be hitting the junk yards.

spacelarry

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

I put a Solargizer on. Also installed a new lock cylinder, and while the steering wheel was off my wife did a paracord wrap on it. Now if I could get that one clip on I could get the steering wheel back on.

hg adams

I've had my 1028A2 for about 18 months now. Here is what I've done to it:
Radiator, heater core, fuel pump, water pump, 2 new batteries, 2.5 inch lift front springs, firestone ride rite air bags in the back, shocks, 6 maxxis bighorn tires, EXTREMELY heavy flatbed, seat cover, manual glow plug switch, head light. I think that is it. The odometer showed 5200 miles when I got it, and it now has 17500. Hopefully I have all the bugs worked out of it.

Lurchwolf

Next weekend: Fluid replace on engine oil, and all gear boxes. Rebuild passenger alternator, replace starter, replace motor mounts, tidy up some wiring, finish glow plug wiring, repair battery trays, replace fuel filter, mount up new tires, get it road legal/worthy in general. *whew* Will be a busy one for sure.

hg adams

Sounds like a long weekend. Do we own these vehicles so that we will have something to work on, or do we own them because they are really good vehicles underneath it all?

jamesonsdad

just dropped her off to get a block heater in (finally) there are three of us in town who have them and one guy turned me on to the shop who has a former military mechanic who worked on these things daily $80 bucks for the job and $42 for the block heater from gm dealer (gm block heater has thicker plug walls than kats) btw nice job on the center console....:driver:

beetleswamp

Changed the oil, rotated the tires, and dumped out all the trash that was in the bed. Oh yeah and got an inspection sticker today. Good to be legal again.

rhinob

Dumped and filled diffs (replaced rear plug), T-case, and greased all fittings. Replaced headlights, replaced headlight bezel screws with stainless, and lubed and 'tightened' electrical connectors (had an intermittent r/s low beam). New wiper blades. Oh, and a Solargizer.

Last edited:

GATVILLE

just dropped her off to get a block heater in (finally) there are three of us in town who have them and one guy turned me on to the shop who has a former military mechanic who worked on these things daily $80 bucks for the job and $42 for the block heater from gm dealer (gm block heater has thicker plug walls than kats) btw nice job on the center console....:driver:

I need a block heater too, can you send me the guys info and the gm part # too? Thanks!

DXTAC

Mongo saved my life last night!! Was scheduled to work until 2400 last night but was let go early at about 2115. The snow was so bad driving home I literally could not see the end of the hood! Ordinarily my drive is 20 minutes and 13 or so miles, NOT last night! I decided to take the roads MORE traveled by and went the longer way. Snow was on average about 6-8 inches deep with drifts up to about 2 feet on every road but Mongo in 4 High had no issues. I was about 5 miles from the house and I blew a wiper blade, it just flung off due to the buildup of ice. No problem I thought, I'll just switch the PS onto the DS. Well in the process of removing the PS blade the plastic retainer snapped and I was left with a wiper blade in my hand and no way to attach it. So i did what anyone 5 miles from home would do, I rolled down the window and wiped every few seconds as I drove. I was looking through an area of the windshield about 6 inches wide and using the opposite shoulder as a guide to where I was in the road. Well needless to say I made it home and into my subdivision that had NOT been plowed at all and had to stick Mongo into 4 Low due to the depth. I made it to literally the front of my house and was high spotted on a drift then said F%$K it and locked him up and went inside!

I truly believe he saved my life as I saw snow plows, trucks, emergency vehicles and other miscellaneous vehicles ditched throughout my drive. I have a new found respect for my ride and vow to pay him back!! Attached is a picture of how he was when I woke up this morning. After about 3 hours of snow blowing, shoveling and help from some OUTSTANDING neighbors, he fired right up and was parked in his stall to thaw!

Attachments

1986Blazerk5

Mongo saved my life last night!! Was scheduled to work until 2400 last night but was let go early at about 2115. The snow was so bad driving home I literally could not see the end of the hood! Ordinarily my drive is 20 minutes and 13 or so miles, NOT last night! I decided to take the roads MORE traveled by and went the longer way. Snow was on average about 6-8 inches deep with drifts up to about 2 feet on every road but Mongo in 4 High had no issues. I was about 5 miles from the house and I blew a wiper blade, it just flung off due to the buildup of ice. No problem I thought, I'll just switch the PS onto the DS. Well in the process of removing the PS blade the plastic retainer snapped and I was left with a wiper blade in my hand and no way to attach it. So i did what anyone 5 miles from home would do, I rolled down the window and wiped every few seconds as I drove. I was looking through an area of the windshield about 6 inches wide and using the opposite shoulder as a guide to where I was in the road. Well needless to say I made it home and into my subdivision that had NOT been plowed at all and had to stick Mongo into 4 Low due to the depth. I made it to literally the front of my house and was high spotted on a drift then said F%$K it and locked him up and went inside!

I truly believe he saved my life as I saw snow plows, trucks, emergency vehicles and other miscellaneous vehicles ditched throughout my drive. I have a new found respect for my ride and vow to pay him back!! Attached is a picture of how he was when I woke up this morning. After about 3 hours of snow blowing, shoveling and help from some OUTSTANDING neighbors, he fired right up and was parked in his stall to thaw!
The M1009 does really good in the snow. I drove mine when we had 8 inches one time and it was not a problem. I love military vehicles!!!

GATVILLE

Installed a 3" body lift, what a pain the ass. Now my radiator leaks :-( mustve stressed it in the process. Tomorrow ill go out and search for a new one.

OL AG '89

In the last few days....
I have replaced all the belts.
replaced DS alternator, did the Doghead relay conversion
checked all the fluids
Oh yea helped my son pull one of his "buddies" out of mud.....
M1009 didn't even break a sweat!!!!!

Patattack

this weekend, repacked the front hub bearings found one bad bearing replaced it, drained both diffs, found water got into the rear diff from a bad oil seal, but everying checks out good, put 2 new u joints on the drive shaft, and found that the left brake caliper is sticking and is hard to press in so will relace it later, drivetrain maintenance complete next i will work on my steering cuz it has a ton of freeplay. :driver:

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks