• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief1983

I used the hitch I installed last weekend (see my post from last week) to tow a U-Haul auto transport trailer. I used it to take my 84 Trans Am to my place to start a LS1 and trans swap and begin turning it into KITT. The truck did very well, no complaining at all!
I see someone else likes the third gen as well, I've been hunting for just the right one for some time.

I fixed a rattle on my 1009 (power steering pump bolt came loose, who'd have guessed?) and then installed my new cigarette lighter assembly. Since it fits now it's time to wire it up.

Armorsolutions

Changed oil cooler lines with new ones. Stock numbers didnt quite fit right. Had to bend them every which way. Dang that sucked.
Finished de-rusting slightly pitted floor pans and got some OD paint on them.
Next gonna wire in a fuse block and run some of my usual 12v accessories... Rechargeable flashlight, cig lighter power point, USB power port etc.
I love my trucks :)
Sorry no pics. Tapatalk wont let me post that I know of.

Last edited:

unaffiliated

I did the doghead starter relay mod today. Also, thanks to a thread started by sharecropper, I discovered that these trucks have an under dash light. A used bulb and let there be light. My next mod will be a real dome light from my parts donor civi truck complete with door jamb switches.

Last edited:

chief1983

welp i ditched the old mechanical lift pump an put in a 12V electric lift pump truck runs much better starts nice, ill be posting a thread on what all you need and how to do it soon
Looking forward to it, as that's on my to-do list as well. That and finish the lighter install, starter relay mod, solargizers, add an oil pressure gauge, replace the 2 dry rotted tires, install a 24v power inverter, tow hitch, fix the hole in the wheel well that goes into the cab, fab a winch mount...

Clearboy

I should first say thanks for all the help, I am normally a lurker and this forum is great. About 2 months ago I purchased a very nice 84 09. It is rust free, 46k miles and runs and drives nice. I have changed all fluids, greased electrical connections, painted undercarriage, put wax rust proofing inside panels and undercarriage. I have done the Doghead relay mod and today I tried to bypass the glowplug resistor. I say tried because after I unhooked the resistor and powered the glowplugs off the 12v buss the rig wouldn't start. It is running now because I switched the power back to running off the resistor. I guess my question is, are there some glow plugs that don't like straight 12v? I am confused by why it wouldn't start.
Cheers, Clearboy

Clearboy

I don't know. I plan on driving it all winter and since they are working i don't want to pull them until spring. I understand the 12v part, but it sure didn't want to start after the switch.
Thanks.

chief1983

Well, just to be safe, pull the leads on them and check the resistance between the plug and a ground and make sure it's in spec. I thought mine were ok but it seems they were failing one after the other until they were all shot and the truck wouldn't start even in 40 degree weather. If your changeover didn't work as expected I hope none of them were damaged. You ran straight 12v from just one battery then?

Clearboy

I think I followed the instructions pretty well. I unhooked both sides of the big resistor behind the aircleaner. I then wired into the 12v buss right by the glow plug relay. The glow plug(wait) light cycled but the truck was a no-go. I then wired it back up stock and it started right up. Last week it started very well in 25f weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks