• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

I refueled my Mule with the scrap diesel fuel I got from the local trucking company. Third tank I ran thru it. I am going places I wanted to go but didn't want to buy the fuel to get there. I drained the filter into a Gatorade jug today and I see nothing but cloudy diesel fuel. It runs perfect. I never analyzed diesel if it was clear or opaque. Don't matter I still have about 130 gallons in the tote. drive on drive on. Tomorrow I am going on a ride about an hour away. Just because I can. The grand kids like to ride in the Mule so away we go.

Lizard Dog

IMG_0010.jpg
Getting ready to swap 3/4 ton axles into the m1009. 4.10 gears. Prepped the 14bFF yesterday with new gear oil, gasket and a couple coats of Rustoleum High Performance paint. Going to pull the brakes soon and make sure the drums are in spec and all looks good.

TGP (IL)

Finally got around to adding the optional roof drip gutters around the top of the door
Of the M1028A2.
PITA when you open the door and water runs/drips onto the seat edge and door panel.
Tom

Lizard Dog

How are you making the swap; do you have a heavy-duty dolly or something?
I don't, so I've been doing a lot of slow and careful manhandling between furniture dollys and jackstands. Your comment just made me realize that I could probably use a motorcycle jack and make my life a lot easier. So thanks AA! p1050366v.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I don't, so I've been doing a lot of slow and careful manhandling between furniture dollys and jackstands. Your comment just made me realize that I could probably use a motorcycle jack and make my life a lot easier. So thanks AA!
Well, looking at that axle made me think to myself, "just how would you DO that!?" and muscle it under the frame and then lift it up into place and all.

So thanks for the explanation, Lizard Dog; and you know some rental places have those specialized lifts for this kind of stuff too I believe.

gottaluvit

Fixed my glove box latch. It had came unscrewed and fell apart. Easy fix. Replaced my glow plugs. Very easy job, however now it is harder to start. Thinking something else may be wrong. With the old glow plugs, it would take two to three attempts to get it to start. Now it takes six or seven. I dont crank it any longer than three seconds as it's either gonna start or not in that three seconds.

gottaluvit

Also, when I got the truck, the seller showed me to let it do its few off and on relay clicks which showed on the voltmeter. Sometimes the second alternator light would stay on until all the relay clicks were done. The relay clicking and voltmeter fluctuations did not occur with a warm engine.

tim292stro

...With the old glow plugs, it would take two to three attempts to get it to start. Now it takes six or seven...
Huh, even on cold mornings I have never had an aborted start (crank, release, no-start).

I'd take out what-ever the glow plug saver is. Is your truck still 24v? If so, do you still have the ballast resistor? What glow plugs do you hve installed? Do they all work? What is the CCA rating of your batteries (are the still 6TL or somethin non-standard)? Have you load tested them? What starter motor do you have? Do the starter wires or ends get hot during crank?

The name "glow plug saver" reeks of something that will reduce the function of the glow plugs in order to add service life - you know, the kind of product someone might sell to somone who is not aware that glow plus are a service item (like filters).

gottaluvit

Huh, even on cold mornings I have never had an aborted start (crank, release, no-start).

I'd take out what-ever the glow plug saver is. Is your truck still 24v? If so, do you still have the ballast resistor? What glow plugs do you hve installed? Do they all work? What is the CCA rating of your batteries (are the still 6TL or somethin non-standard)? Have you load tested them? What starter motor do you have? Do the starter wires or ends get hot during crank?

The name "glow plug saver" reeks of something that will reduce the function of the glow plugs in order to add service life - you know, the kind of product someone might sell to somone who is not aware that glow plus are a service item (like filters).
Ok, lotsa questions here, and only a few I know the answers to. Truck is 24v for starter, but I assumed the glow plugs were only 12v with this "saver". Dont know what or where a ballast resistor is. The plugs I took out where wellmans and I put in delco 13Gs. They were new so I assumed they worked. As for the batteries and starter, batteries are new, was installed right before I purchased it, and I never checked cca. The starter zips. I just always had Chevy trucks and am in the habit of short duration starter cranks. Just a bump on a warm engine. I really agree with your last paragraph. Sounds like a hoax. As easy as they are to change, why not just change them when bad? I ran out of daylight and will use the tester on each connector tomorrow and pull each plug to see if it glows. Then maybe check each wellman too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks