• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

CUCVLOVER

Speedometer cable replaced yesterday. The one on there that was on the exhaust must have been too long as it was supported by both hangers underneath and the bracket on the firewall. The one I put in off a civy 86 truck can't reach the exhaust. I think some aftermarket units are off spec. Fixed my M1102 master cylinder that was siezed and returned the tongue jack to Rural King that was absolute junk. Since they had no others with that connection type, I guess it's time to pay Tractor Supply a visit.
For a trailer Jack I go to TSC (tractor supply). Just get a heavy duty one and weld your own bracket up if you have to. You can weld right?

gottaluvit

I do have a welder, and can adhere metal together, but refuse to call myself a "welder". The gifts of age aren't always what we want to unwrap! However, these trailers already have a mounting point that is common to civy tongue jacks.

20160406_085237.jpg

CUCVLOVER

I do have a welder, and can adhere metal together, but refuse to call myself a "welder". The gifts of age aren't always what we want to unwrap! However, these trailers already have a mounting point that is common to civy tongue jacks.

View attachment 616459
Ok.
I have been welding since I could wear the hood and hold the stinger so I sort of forget not everyone can weld in their sleep. Lol

Bullydog uses those mounts for most of their jacks I'm 99% sure.

rsh4364

Drove the 86 1009 to work this morning, 10 inches of snow, never put it in 4 wd. Was a little tricky driving a short wheel based 1009 with a locker and 4.56 gears.Had to be very careful with the fuel pedal or I was sideways.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ignition switch repair?
Removal, but I'll give you a cookie anyway.. :D

Cylinder siezed..popped out steering wheel lock pawl.. removed ignition bar....

Dropped the steering column..removes ignition switch...

Will be rewiring with a racecar style switch and pushbutton start.....i think..lol

Its running now..using the key..manually actuating the ignition switch (not cylinder) hahahah

GunnyM1009

Drove the 86 1009 to work this morning, 10 inches of snow, never put it in 4 wd. Was a little tricky driving a short wheel based 1009 with a locker and 4.56 gears.Had to be very careful with the fuel pedal or I was sideways.
Why did you switch to 4.56 gears? Or did you put on a 14bolt

cucvrus

I am pulling out a 700R for a customer that wants one in his M1009. I don't know why I don't ask questions. Show me the money. Done.008.jpgHe is givig me his 400 TH and 208. ??? Back in the mid 90's I had guys waiting for 400 TH from the CUCV's I was parting out. I always sold them the transmission and transfer case for $550. exchange. I put the 700R transmissions on the scrap pile and sold them as cores to re-builders. Now everyone wants 700 R transmissions. I still like the 400 TH as tough a transmission that you can get and a 50 year old proven design. I never all out killed one under normal use. I split a few cases plowing snow but have learned the early warning signs of that onslaught of transmission cases. That hesitation between drive to reverse can be disastrous if you accelerate during the hesitation period.

cucvrus

DSCF6624.jpgDSCF6625.jpgDSCF6626.jpgDSCF6627.jpgDSCF6628.jpgI surgically pulled the 700R transmission for the customer. Is the 700R and the 400TH transfer case the same? They appear to be the same. I thought they were but this guy says NO. I said they are both NP208 C transfer cases. He thinks it has a NP241. The tag is missing. He does not want the transfer case because he said it is different. I don't think so. But the transmission is gone he wanted that. Also the spacer from the TH400 will fit the 700R am I correct? That is why I never change anything. It is a challenge just getting a straight answer. And everyone seems to have a different opinion as to what is good and what is bad and this don't fit that. ETC ETC ETC. Not a nice day to work in the dirt but beats being under the dirt. Have a great day. I sold this truck 2 times and they never came back for it.

Another Ahab

I surgically pulled the 700R transmission for the customer. Is the 700R and the 400TH transfer case the same? They appear to be the same. I thought they were but this guy says NO. I said they are both NP208 C transfer cases. He thinks it has a NP241. The tag is missing. He does not want the transfer case because he said it is different. I don't think so. But the transmission is gone he wanted that. Also the spacer from the TH400 will fit the 700R am I correct? That is why I never change anything. It is a challenge just getting a straight answer. And everyone seems to have a different opinion as to what is good and what is bad and this don't fit that. ETC ETC ETC. Not a nice day to work in the dirt but beats being under the dirt. Have a great day. I sold this truck 2 times and they never came back for it.
Meaning it was paid for, but never picked up?

Kaiser67M715

700r4 has 27 spline output shaft, TH400 has 32 spline output, so transfer cases are not swappable, also 700r4 is about 1 inch shorter then TH400

I am unaware of any differences in the spacer/adapter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cucvrus

The spacer adapter is not the same for a CUCV. I can see that. I was surprised that this 1/2ton truck had the heavy rods bolted to the side of the transfer case and running to the back of the engine. I will put them on Terminus M1009 just for good measure.

GunnyM1009

The fire department that owned it before me regeared the 10 bolt differentials and put a posi in front axle.
Gotcha I love the 3.08 gears I really dont do any heavy work with Gunny though so they are fine for me. If I had 4.56 I think I would have to do the 700r swap so I could keep my highway speed at lower rpm's.

PeeWeeQ

Gotcha I love the 3.08 gears I really dont do any heavy work with Gunny though so they are fine for me. If I had 4.56 I think I would have to do the 700r swap so I could keep my highway speed at lower rpm's.
I'm glad I swapped to a 14 bolt with 3:73s...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks