• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

rustystud

Well, that 6.2 can barely move the truck along on flat ground. Adding the Ranger would only decrease power. Any overpass scrubs off speed and these small mountains here in N GA take me down to as low as 30 MPH.

Now, truth be told this truck has 4.10 gear and I ran 70 MPH the whole way except on any uphill grade. Even with the 400 (my last trip up) the grades still got me. On thing is for certain, if the truck is going to get driven on a regular basis here in GA as it does in FL, there will need to be a big jump in power. I love my 6.2s but they can't make the cut here. Turbo 6.5? Fuel injected 454? Not sure.
This is the major reason I went with the 383 cid Hi-Torque engine. I get better mileage and way more power then the old 6.2 could ever give me. Now towing my trailer is a pleasure not a hassle. I would love to get a Duramax with a Allison some day but since I'm retired now too I cannot afford one. Maybe some day when we win the Lotto which my wife is always playing ! I was originally going to install a 454 engine, but my buddy owns a 1 ton dually crewcab with the 454 and he gets 7 mpg on the freeway on a good day ! My 383 gets me 15 to 17 mpg on the freeway and about 10 to 12 miles per gallon city driving. On totally flat roads with the outside temperature at about 75F I can almost get 20 mpg. I know the higher temperature is a weird thing. You would think at a colder temperature I would get better mileage, but no it has to be around 70F to 80F to get the best mileage.

gottaluvit

This is the major reason I went with the 383 cid Hi-Torque engine. I get better mileage and way more power then the old 6.2 could ever give me. Now towing my trailer is a pleasure not a hassle. I would love to get a Duramax with a Allison some day but since I'm retired now too I cannot afford one. Maybe some day when we win the Lotto which my wife is always playing ! I was originally going to install a 454 engine, but my buddy owns a 1 ton dually crewcab with the 454 and he gets 7 mpg on the freeway on a good day ! My 383 gets me 15 to 17 mpg on the freeway and about 10 to 12 miles per gallon city driving. On totally flat roads with the outside temperature at about 75F I can almost get 20 mpg. I know the higher temperature is a weird thing. You would think at a colder temperature I would get better mileage, but no it has to be around 70F to 80F to get the best mileage.
That's funny you say it's best at 70-80 degrees. I have noticed it's best when not too hot or real cold too. This with all vehicles. I just assumed it was because it was manufactured in a 70 degree factory, giving it the exact same tolerances when the outside temperature matches where it was manufactured at. But we all know what happens when we assume.

3jumpjeep

That's funny you say it's best at 70-80 degrees. I have noticed it's best when not too hot or real cold too. This with all vehicles. I just assumed it was because it was manufactured in a 70 degree factory, giving it the exact same tolerances when the outside temperature matches where it was manufactured at. But we all know what happens when we assume.
I have a Ford Focus that loves 90+ degrees for best millage, but everything else prefers mild temps. In my M1028A2 I prefer anything above freezing and below 80°. The truck doesn't care, but the driver overheats when it goes above 85°.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rustystud

I also should have mentioned the humidity level also. When it's about 30% humidity and at 70F to 80F that is the best mileage !

rustystud

I have a Ford Focus that loves 90+ degrees for best millage, but everything else prefers mild temps. In my M1028A2 I prefer anything above freezing and below 80°. The truck doesn't care, but the driver overheats when it goes above 85°.

I agree about the driver over-heating ! I wished I had air-conditioning ! But I know the cost is too prohibitive !

rustystud

001.jpg002.jpg006.jpg007.jpg003.jpg

Here is a prime example why I continue to use the dot 5 Silicone brake fluid. I tore down my front brakes today to rebuild the calipers and here they are just after I blew out the pistons. I didn't touch them and you can see how clean they are ! There is a little rust on one right at the bottom but that is the only thing wrong. I rebuilt these calipers in 1997 and today was the second time. So for 19 years they have worked on my truck and still would have worked if I hadn't decided to rebuild them for my own piece of mind. If you where to do this to a brake system that had used DOT 3 for almost 20 years you would have seen gunk and rust everywhere.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got out of the saddle on my return trip from GA. The truck handled the hills better empty and without the trailer but it was mostly down hill. If the pic attaches it shows the distance and many other details. Lot of hours in the saddle between Monday and today. While in GA, this truck sat and we drove the ambulance as our runabout.

Attachments

Last edited:

3jumpjeep

Drove my M1028A2 back to Tennessee from Connecticut. I love driving this truck, but after the first ten hours the lack of creature comforts takes its toll. The next ten driving into the sun on a ninety degree day had me questioning my sanity.

jpg

Drove my M1028A2 back to Tennessee from Connecticut. I love driving this truck, but after the first ten hours the lack of creature comforts takes its toll. The next ten driving into the sun on a ninety degree day had me questioning my sanity.
Sanity is overrated.

rustystud

Now take a steam cleaner to that body and engine. I also put engine degreaser all over the whole truck and engine. Then I got that steam cleaner really hot. It took me 8 hours to thoroughly clean my truck. I then went after it with a wire wheel and sander for another week. Then used a good primer over everything ! That was 20 years ago and it still is nice under my truck. Though there are a few spots that need attention again.

rustystud

That's why my wife had broken up our trip into 300 mile segments a day. I can only handle setting in that truck for a few hours at a time before the pain gets too bad. I suppose once the boy is off to college I can get those nice captains chairs ! Either that or actually buy a newer crewcab truck with nice factory seats for all of us. :-D
For now though this truck has served our family well for over 20 years and I'm sure with a little TLC will continue to do so for another 20 for my son. Best $5,000.00 I ever spent ! I actually bid up to $6000.00 but thankfully it went cheaper. That was back in the old days when everything was sealed bids from the government. I miss those days ! :(

CUCVM1009

Now take a steam cleaner to that body and engine. I also put engine degreaser all over the whole truck and engine. Then I got that steam cleaner really hot. It took me 8 hours to thoroughly clean my truck. I then went after it with a wire wheel and sander for another week. Then used a good primer over everything ! That was 20 years ago and it still is nice under my truck. Though there are a few spots that need attention again.
I don´t know if it´s the same, .... but I´m using "motor-cycle-cleaner" for cleaning those things. There were many engine compartments that I have switched to a "new like" look with this. Spray it on the cold surfaces, wait 30 minutes, and use a steam cleaner to wash all the dirt down. Awesome! 8)

Now, I must weld my rotisserie together, to put that body on it. The truck is getting a complete restauration. Every bolt. The frame will be media-blasted.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update on my recent GA trip. The truck is an M1008 converted to SECM with a full compliment of tools, bolts and shop supplies. The truck has dual rear wheels and 4.10 gears and has the SM465 trans.

The trip up I had an M116 (mostly) that had wood sides added and a steel topper. Both were full of stuff including 2 SM465 trans and NP205 case and Ranger Torque Splitter. Trailer stayed in GA.

My first tank of fuel netted the worst fuel economyof the trip. 10.26 mpg. Had 3 tanks in the.mid 11 mpg, a couple of them above 12.6 and the last tank was the best at 13.56.

I'm not sure it would be much worse with a tbi 350 or tbi 454. The extra power would sure be nice in the mountains.