• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two new Group 31 batteries seem to have solved my starting problems.

Found this picture yesterday while cleaning out the cell phone. Just shows the lug wrench zip-tied to the spare. Keeps it out of the way and quiet.

Spare.jpg

cucvrus

[h=2][/h]
Two new Group 31 batteries seem to have solved my starting problems.

This is often the key to most ills on a CUCV. That and the injection pump can make a difference between a turd and a good running CUCV. Also this prevents the need to start the wire hacking and bypassing. Good deal. Have a great day.

CuCv M1008

Finally got to put in the new headlights and search down a gremlin for the pass side headlight, now have high beams on both sides :jumpin:. Finished painting the bed floor and put new belts on.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I zip tied a small x-bar/t-bar lug wrench to the spare tire frame of my M1009. I also zip tied a 6 ton bottle jack to the frame in case the factory jack isn't enough to lift up the truck. Sorry I don't have any pictures to share.

Found this picture yesterday while cleaning out the cell phone. Just shows the lug wrench zip-tied to the spare. Keeps it out of the way and quiet.

View attachment 640920[/QUOTE]

cucvrus

DSCF7489.jpgDSCF7490.jpgDSCF7491.jpgDSCF7492.jpgDSCF7493.jpgDSCF7494.jpgDSCF7495.jpgDSCF7496.jpgDSCF7497.jpgI started out a 0600 dark today. I needed to get the water pump changed. It started leaking at the weep hole last week and I did not have the time to change it. I went into Autozone and picked up a new water pump, the timing cover gasket, new hoses and fuel filter. About 6 hours later it was all done. I changed everything and cleaned everything well. I can do it faster but today that was the best I could do. I was cleaning everything as I went. The garage wanted $450. to do it. I figure I done it for about 1/2 that.

Attachments

cucvrus

DSCF7498.jpgDSCF7499.jpgDSCF7500.jpgDSCF7501.jpgDSCF7502.jpgDSCF7503.jpgDSCF7504.jpgDSCF7505.jpgDSCF7506.jpgDSCF7509.jpg
I needed to change the V belts and all the hoses. I have been running this Big Red M1008 hard for the past 11 years. It sees a lot of high speed interstate driving and hauls a lot of parts and material. I was at the GM dealer and there was only 1 OEM GM water pump in the entire parts system. I did not want to wait. This one is just as good. If it fits and pumps water what else could I ask for? Every thing went well and it was a piece of cake.

cucvrus

DSCF7512.jpgDSCF7511.jpgDSCF7510.jpgAll done and back on the road. I hope someone finds it helpful. It is easier to cahnge the water pump with out removing the radiator and fan shroud. The folding DSCF7491.jpgstep scaffold in the front helps a lot also. Makes working on CUCV'S a breeze and you can stand up and look over the entire truck and reach every part under the hood. .

chief1983

Roof guys needed me to move my truck so I put the alternators in I got rebuilt in may and it fired right up. Reminded me I need to get a new exhaust, quarter size hole that's just getting bigger in the pipe.

My Belly

I am new to the CUCV community. I have a 1986 CUCV. I have two new batteries that are completely charged. I activate my glow plugs, but I can't get the truck to turn over. A very slow trying of the engine to turn over. The truck has ran pretty well for the past year. Two new batteries and both alternators rebuilt. Any ideas? I originally thought a starter, but it is not clicking and slowly trying to turn over. I would appreciate the help.

Another Ahab

I am new to the CUCV community. I have a 1986 CUCV. I have two new batteries that are completely charged. I activate my glow plugs, but I can't get the truck to turn over. A very slow trying of the engine to turn over. The truck has ran pretty well for the past year. Two new batteries and both alternators rebuilt. Any ideas? I originally thought a starter, but it is not clicking and slowly trying to turn over. I would appreciate the help.
I don't know the answer to your starting problem, My Belly; but somebody will.

What I do know is that "new blood" here is always good to have around , so:

- Welcome from here in Virginia

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks