• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

rustystud

Like computer54 says, stuff happens; no shame there. :tank:[thumbzup]

If you don't use it, how're you ever going to know?!
I was just back from the Marine Corp and went on a skiing trip to Leavenworth with a group of college friends from church (about 40) . I had my IHC Scout which was all decked out with all the goodies. I got in a race with a guy that had a nice Chevy 4X4 truck . Seems he knew the road (which was covered in hard packed snow) and I didn't . So when it made a sharp turn he cut back on the gas and I went straight ahead going about 60 mph until I hit the edge of the road that had been mounded up with hard packed snow. I launched up and out just like the "Dukes of Hazard" used to do with that Chrysler ( The General) ! Right into a open field covered with 4ft of snow. Thankfully the only thing damaged was my ego ! All the gang came down to see what happened and why the tractor had to come out of the barn. There I was trying to shovel myself out and all the guys and gals laughing at my stupidity ! The old farmer that had to pull me out gave me a good talking to also. I learned my brand new IHC Scout was not invincible and my driving skills needed a lot of improving! Plus I got a new knickname "Evil Knievel" . Looks like you came out unscathed also so it was a good learning lesson.

Last edited:

rustystud

Since your up, how's the 454 engine doing ? Is the cost of fuel getting to you yet ? :D With my lead foot I would be going through a tank of fuel in a day ! At least that's what my wife says !

CUCVLOVER

Since your up, how's the 454 engine doing ? Is the cost of fuel getting to you yet ? :D With my lead foot I would be going through a tank of fuel in a day ! At least that's what my wife says !
454 is going strong finally. I finally have it set right I believe, and have the fuel lines done right. I used it tow my 16ft trailer with a Polaris rzr side-by-side and a fourwheeler and it never noticed it back there.
Fuel it will drink faster than I can dump it in there. I can easily go through a tank a day if I'm really rolling hard. To run to my grandpas house is 2 hr one way and that's running 55-70 and to go there and back easily takes a tank plus a fuzz.
I don't have a girlfriend right now so I have more money for fuel haha.

rustystud

I found the kid I sold my other CUCV that I had installed a 472 Cadillac engine in the other day. Seems he got into an accident going to fast and busted up the truck a bit. Sounds like he also over revved the engine racing some Toyota car. It now has a very loud knock ! To bad, that was a good truck and fast ! I should have just kept it.

rustystud

454 is going strong finally. I finally have it set right I believe, and have the fuel lines done right. I used it tow my 16ft trailer with a Polaris rzr side-by-side and a fourwheeler and it never noticed it back there.
Fuel it will drink faster than I can dump it in there. I can easily go through a tank a day if I'm really rolling hard. To run to my grandpas house is 2 hr one way and that's running 55-70 and to go there and back easily takes a tank plus a fuzz.
I don't have a girlfriend right now so I have more money for fuel haha.
Yeah women have a way of draining your wallet ! Wives even more so !!!!

Knowing how powerful that combination of engine and trans is (my buddy has one) it can be fun to tow extremely heavy stuff. I once towed my friends 38ft fifth-wheel trailer with his 1986 454 Chevy truck (same as our CUCV) and it was so fun to just hammer the pedal and see how fast that rig could get up to speed towing all that weight ! When your blasting past cars and other trucks towing a heavy trailer you know you have some power ! Like he always told me. He's truck could pass anything except a gas station !

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

I found the kid I sold my other CUCV that I had installed a 472 Cadillac engine in the other day. Seems he got into an accident going to fast and busted up the truck a bit. Sounds like he also over revved the engine racing some Toyota car. It now has a very loud knock ! To bad, that was a good truck and fast ! I should have just kept it.
I have turned that 454 to 52-5300 rpm and didn't blow her. I was rolling about 75 and jerked it back in 2nd and set it on the floor when I dropped it back in 3rd it jerked a crick in my neck it shifd so hard. I usually run 4500 max. 3k is my high-speed cruising 60-65 is 3k.
Had it to 100mh (gps) in a 55lol

rustystud

For certain.

I need to figure out this death wobble. I think part of it is my worn out tires, I just put new king pin bushings and springs in last November ish and it helped some. Probably need tires and a steering stabilizer or a duel set up
Check the front axle U-joints at the knuckle. They can start to seize up and cause steering binding.

CUCVLOVER

Check the front axle U-joints at the knuckle. They can start to seize up and cause steering binding.
They seem to be fine, no slop in them and they spin free when I turn the front shaft with the hub's unlocked. I do have a slight vibration at about 55 when I leave my front hubs locked which was not happening back before ga rally but I think I may back dented the shaft a little or it Just needs a greasing. I was off in this Creek a while back romping it hard because I was in rare form (female made me mad) and I kinda sorta jumped a log jam. Oh well. I will get it fixed eventually.

gottaluvit

I have turned that 454 to 52-5300 rpm and didn't blow her. I was rolling about 75 and jerked it back in 2nd and set it on the floor when I dropped it back in 3rd it jerked a crick in my neck it shifd so hard. I usually run 4500 max. 3k is my high-speed cruising 60-65 is 3k.
Had it to 100mh (gps) in a 55lol
Isn't 5500 rpm the (normal) redline on a Chevy gasser? I had a 350 sbc that I built that I took to 7000 rpms regularly on the strip before it would float out. Got my best time on 1/8th mile track in 1st gear at 85 mph, in a street station wagon! I would let friends take it down the track and they would say they didn't know what to do. I would tell them keep the torque converter engaged with 1500-2000 rpms while holding the brake and when the tree hits the next to last light just let off the brake, hold throttle to the floor and keep in your lane! It was only one wheel drive so with it spinning it never had too short a reaction time doing it that way. Used to beat the old camaros left and right. They were "kind" to their 350s. Eventually put the engine in a 78 Chevy pickup and my son totalled the truck and I got angry and sold the engine. Didn't have trouble cleaning tires while mudding in that truck!

On topic, yesterday used my M1008 to pull a M105 up behind my M1082 and offloaded three pallets onto two pallets in the 105 up to the bows. Pulled it back to another property like it was empty. Now the 1082 can rest with only one pallet of M939 mufflers on it. Blocked up the 105.

CUCVLOVER

Isn't 5500 rpm the (normal) redline on a Chevy gasser? I had a 350 sbc that I built that I took to 7000 rpms regularly on the strip before it would float out. Got my best time on 1/8th mile track in 1st gear at 85 mph, in a street station wagon! I would let friends take it down the track and they would say they didn't know what to do. I would tell them keep the torque converter engaged with 1500-2000 rpms while holding the brake and when the tree hits the next to last light just let off the brake, hold throttle to the floor and keep in your lane! It was only one wheel drive so with it spinning it never had too short a reaction time doing it that way. Used to beat the old camaros left and right. They were "kind" to their 350s. Eventually put the engine in a 78 Chevy pickup and my son totalled the truck and I got angry and sold the engine. Didn't have trouble cleaning tires while mudding in that truck!

On topic, yesterday used my M1008 to pull a M105 up behind my M1082 and offloaded three pallets onto two pallets in the 105 up to the bows. Pulled it back to another property like it was empty. Now the 1082 can rest with only one pallet of M939 mufflers on it. Blocked up the 105.
My engine is supposed to have a different cam from being in that RV. Generates max power and starts redline at 43-4600. And that's about where it does

Another Ahab

I was just back from the Marine Corp and went on a skiing trip to Leavenworth with a group of college friends from church (about 40) . I had my IHC Scout which was all decked out with all the goodies. I got in a race with a guy that had a nice Chevy 4X4 truck . I learned my brand new IHC Scout was not invincible and my driving skills needed a lot of improving! Plus I got a new knickname "Evil Knievel" . Looks like you came out unscathed also so it was a good learning lesson.
That nickname is a badge of honor; EK!

You "done" good, rustystud! :doghead::beer:

knievel3.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks