• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Volvo740turbo

Would this cause a charging issue I've replaced both alternators still not charging also keeps blowing headlight bulbs and brake light bulbs,when heater fan is turned in it blows the fuse
Mine would try to melt the headlight fuse often....after the new starter and removing the reisitor I didn't have an issuse..problem is when the 24 to 12v resistor goes bad it sends 24v to everything that only runs 12 or in my case that's what happened...i believe the starter began the process as it was junk
Im not sure if it would keep the alt 1 or 2 from trying to charge but if it's already started to fry the electronics it's possible

Last edited:

Volvo740turbo

Want to convert to 12v
But get mixed info some say keep 24v starter others say switch to 12v starter
There's no benefit to the 12v starter that I can see.....besides the 24 to 12v resistor and starter nothing else is 24v if you remove the resistor as I have shown in the video I posted the only thing left is the starter which if 12v will already be underpowered for the job of starting a high compression diesel..just my thoughts, but I'll never put a 12v starter in my truck because I like how it starts and I need it to have the power when it's freezing to start it as well...itz the same starter as a 6.5 duramax and not that hard to get and pretty much the same price as a 12v ....

Last edited:

Volvo740turbo

Can I use my 24v starter or do I need to switch out with a 12 volt i've got conflicting information from several people
You would need a 12v starter for a 12v system it's more work to convert it than what it's worth..essentially you would just be ruining it...ive had my truck 5 years now and would never consider doing it...the 24v to 12v resistor should be thrown away though as I showed in my video ...its a electrical gremlins and fire just waiting to happen and I strongly advise everyone that has it to throw it out before their cucv goes up in flames

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I've never heard of anyone really reviving a dead glow-plug. I've heard of "stories" that they said it worked but I have never seen it. Even if by some miracle you got it to work for a few more days, is that really worth all that effort ?
rustystud, having a 6.2 since 1982 you get to "adapt" to the engineering limitations of certain electrical components. Having a mechanical aptitude to retrofit, re-engineer has
always intrigued me even as a young child taking apart, putting back together my fathers tools.

Riding motorcycles in the 60's, I would foul spark plugs and bring them back to life with either a propane torch or a battery charger. With a tap or two, some voltage and had a "good" plug again. A kid with no money will adapt to his or her own financial situation. That is how I can check for bad glow plugs. But have never spent any time trying to revive one. Having a wife that works for AC Delco sure helps a lot.

Volvo740turbo seems to know how to sort out some of the inherit problems with the electrical systems as well, and posts very helpful information. Any body that owns either the Civi version or the MV will have some of the same problems.

rustystud I am very glad that I happened upon this Forum and that I will be reading and replying to threads as long as you all do not mind that I am a little long winded.:razz:

Paycheck

You would need a 12v starter for a 12v system it's more work to convert it than what it's worth..essentially you would just be ruining it...ive had my truck 5 years now and would never consider doing it...the 24v to 12v resistor should be thrown away though as I showed in my video ...its a electrical gremlins and fire just waiting to happen and I strongly advise everyone that has it to throw it out before their cucv goes up in flames
Thank you for the video I pulled the transistor cover and the wire was destroyed, I will be pulling the alternators tomorrow and taking for warranty repair I believe the wire was causing it to ground out and now my voltage regulator is dust. Still won't charge but throttle is more responsive and engine is smoother. Still have to use brake cleaner to start the engine but that's a fix for another day.

computer54

I have a 93 chevy K1500 3 by 4 with a 6.2L and I got some glow plugs from Amazon , put I got the mil. version first and the the sil, ver next and the difference is the end that the wires plug into and only cost 62.00.

Beandip

Ended up cleaning up the door panels of the truck. Gotta love the heat gun trick.
35931231936_bdfe613365_b.jpg

35972697095_035f3f2705_b.jpg
the stock hose for my hydro steering finally started leaking...kinda expected it to leak eventually given it wasnt designed to be used for field serviceable crimps.
35909076336_4bef4c6886_b.jpg

ended up cutting a piece of proper hose for the crimps and used a fitting i ordered months back to go to 3/8 JIC at the hydoboost.
35110088294_c4f69e7226_b.jpg

Last few weeks i took it out for the first time since bobbing the bed. worked great and couldn't get the bumper to hit anything anymore.
35779573812_cc0a32cf99_b.jpg

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Ended up cleaning up the door panels of the truck. Gotta love the heat gun trick.
View attachment 691140

View attachment 691141
the stock hose for my hydro steering finally started leaking...kinda expected it to leak eventually given it wasnt designed to be used for field serviceable crimps.
View attachment 691142

ended up cutting a piece of proper hose for the crimps and used a fitting i ordered months back to go to 3/8 JIC at the hydoboost.
View attachment 691143

Last few weeks i took it out for the first time since bobbing the bed. worked great and couldn't get the bumper to hit anything anymore.
View attachment 691144
Never heard of the heat gun trick, look like it works!

Beandip

There is plenty of info on youtube about it. for me i do a general preheat over the area then do a 4-6" circle with my heat gun 1/4"-3/8" away. keeps the distortion down on these relatively flat door panels vs trying to do single row passes. its one of those things you just gotta play around with. not trying to make it a trailer queen, but the little easy stuff to make the truck look better can't be helped.

rustystud

Glow plugs live in a harsh environment I thought mine went bad...this is how I fixed the problem...still have the same.glow plugs
https://youtu.be/OZYeDJQUE_E
So you actually didn't revive your glow plugs you bypassed the voltage step-down. That is not reviving the glow plugs. Granted I never felt those monster resistors where really needed or safe. My engine compartment caught fire from them also. Stupid design in my opinion.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just build your garage with a door on both ends.
Great idea except for a couple of issues. This garage is primarily for the wife and heres the big one, the 8' elevation difference front to back. I wanted to build the garage with a walkout basement but if was financially not possible. Next year I get to build myself a polebarn.

Im NOT alone !!!
I moved mine to mow...
I wish I could say mine are blocked by shop construction.
Mine are blocked by motivation, time, money & a couple of 5 tons !
We are going through a heat spell so I'm not motivated either. Garage should be done in a month or two and so should summer.

Volvo740turbo

Not reviving the glow plugs but they could be misdiagnosed easily if the relay is making the audible switching noise and still not functioning, I though mine had went the way of the dodo and a lot of reading on here brought me to the conclusion it's very very improbable that they will all fail at once. From what my finding were you don't require all 8 to be functioning for the motor to run, I owe this sight a lot of appreciation as I found most of the information I needed for my repairs after reading and reading and reading and reading, my older brother (electrical genius) also played a HUGE role in helping me keep the old girl on the road

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks