• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

FrankenCub

I tell ya, if it isn't one thing it's another. On the way home from our property tonight I had to hit the brakes pretty hard to stop when someone come around a corner way too fast and the tranny started making noises. Pulled over to the side of the road to look into it and there's a lot of clicking type sounds, kinda like you're trying to put it in park while moving. It would move forward and back, but wouldn't shift. Even putting it in park would get the noise. Made a call to be towed home and when we got there all was quiet, even switching between gears while sitting still, and it moved under it's own power to park it out of the way.
I'm hoping when I drop the pan on Wednesday I find the linkage apart, or loose. I can't afford this right now. aua

Volvo740turbo

I tell ya, if it isn't one thing it's another. On the way home from our property tonight I had to hit the brakes pretty hard to stop when someone come around a corner way too fast and the tranny started making noises. Pulled over to the side of the road to look into it and there's a lot of clicking type sounds, kinda like you're trying to put it in park while moving. It would move forward and back, but wouldn't shift. Even putting it in park would get the noise. Made a call to be towed home and when we got there all was quiet, even switching between gears while sitting still, and it moved under it's own power to park it out of the way.
I'm hoping when I drop the pan on Wednesday I find the linkage apart, or loose. I can't afford this right now. aua
Dum question...did the transfer case shift into 4 wheel?

FrankenCub

Dum question...did the transfer case shift into 4 wheel?
or drop in nutrul and then when your stop'd the trans is still going .Check the linkage ar something is loose.
Nope, T-case isn't the problem. That's one of the first things I checked. Also ruled out by not shifting while going forward. Almost like it only had second gear, first to second shift is almost not noticeable because it needs some adjustment for vacuum. So basically no third gear.
Before I parked it tonight everything seemed fine so that's why I'm thinking the linkage inside the tranny might be loose, not allowing full movement. Correct operation before I parked it just being luck, the tow jostled things around till it's sitting correctly.

rustystud

Nope, T-case isn't the problem. That's one of the first things I checked. Also ruled out by not shifting while going forward. Almost like it only had second gear, first to second shift is almost not noticeable because it needs some adjustment for vacuum. So basically no third gear.
Before I parked it tonight everything seemed fine so that's why I'm thinking the linkage inside the tranny might be loose, not allowing full movement. Correct operation before I parked it just being luck, the tow jostled things around till it's sitting correctly.

If your filter was not securely mounted to the valve body they can come loose. I use large washers under the mounting nut to remove any "play" in the filter. This has worked well for me for decades now on all my rebuilds. Ford and Chrysler and most all other transmission manufactures have all securely mounted their filters but for some reason GM had the TH400 mounted loosely. A factory rep once said it was to allow for fluctuating oil levels. I didn't buy it then, and still don't buy that explanation now.

FrankenCub

If your filter was not securely mounted to the valve body they can come loose. I use large washers under the mounting nut to remove any "play" in the filter. This has worked well for me for decades now on all my rebuilds. Ford and Chrysler and most all other transmission manufactures have all securely mounted their filters but for some reason GM had the TH400 mounted loosely. A factory rep once said it was to allow for fluctuating oil levels. I didn't buy it then, and still don't buy that explanation now.
lmao... I don't buy that explanation either. I don't think that particular issue is causing my problems but I will check that out as well. I'll be pulling the pan this week to inspect everything anyway. As well as replace the filter and new fluid it the problem is an easy fix such as disconnected linkages.
I'm keeping on the positive side for now because I know that if that isn't the issue, I'm due for a major overhaul. It made so much noise I seriously thought the T-case I just swapped in come unglued.

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also mount the filter with washers.
The first time I changed the filter, I've seen that he left traces on the oil pan........that explained also a constant rattling, which I simply could not find.......

gottaluvit

gottaluvit, Have you ever tried to align your self? Very easy, surely you have a string or measuring device. Usually by just counting the turns off you can replace in return.

Anyway I am sure it will steer better.
I did try before replacing the tie rod end. I just kinda thought they could point out any other sloppy parts I may have missed. I havn't even tested it on pavement yet. Only gravel roads. At least it feels like the play is gone (or less). I will see if the play is gone tomorrow when I have it on asphalt and if it is completely gone may just go ahead and do it myself.

FrankenCub

I've seen some pretty backyard B'S but this is ridiculous. Two nuts used as a spacer between the filter and valve body which doesn't even come close to making up the difference.
https://youtu.be/4j2JoWYqpJg

Here's a picture added to show the mess they used to take up the space aua

20170814_195406.jpg

Second edit: So what's the chance the massive filter movement could have cause it to suck enough air to cause my problems? I was facing downhill when I jabbed the brakes. Or hopefully not, but maybe the clutch packs come apart from the stop, bad retaining ring?
I'd like to put a new filter and fluid in it and try it but don't want to waste the money if it turns out it's something else. It drove just fine under it's own power to get it in the garage today. No slipping or noises at all. However I didn't take it down the road to try it.

Last edited:

Volvo740turbo

I've seen some pretty backyard B'S but this is ridiculous. Two nuts used as a spacer between the filter and valve body which doesn't even come close to making up the difference.

View attachment 695030
I'm pretty speechless, not really but I can't bring myself to type that much profanity....i hope replacing that and securing it correctly...or at least better than it was gets rid of some of the issues you were having

FrankenCub

All linkages in place and in good condition. I was actually hoping to see them apart. The fluid looked clean and smelled good, the usual particles on the pan magnet though but nothing more than I've seen in the past on other trannys.
I also edited that post to include more. My brain just isn't keeping up with my fingers tonight. I use this truck every day at some property we just got and to be without it is ****.

Last edited:

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 695030

Second edit: So what's the chance the massive filter movement could have cause it to suck enough air to cause my problems? I was facing downhill when I jabbed the brakes. Or hopefully not, but maybe the clutch packs come apart from the stop, bad retaining ring?
I'd like to put a new filter and fluid in it and try it but don't want to waste the money if it turns out it's something else. It drove just fine under it's own power to get it in the garage today. No slipping or noises at all. However I didn't take it down the road to try it.
I think you got a Deep oil pan and the PO had not the correct extension

FrankenCub

I took a look through the 34p PM and seen there is a sleeve spacer supposed to be there and watched a video of a th400 teardown where the guy had one drop out when he pulled the filter, he didn't know where it come from. I bet one of the POs lost it. Easy enough to make another. Of the correct length lol.

86m1028

I didn't see what trans issues you were having...
YES, you need the longer pickup tube for the deep pan.
Shouldnt be too hard to find local or on the internet.

FrankenCub

I didn't see what trans issues you were having...
YES, you need the longer pickup tube for the deep pan.
Shouldnt be too hard to find local or on the internet.
The issues start here... https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...ately-Part-2&p=2044742&viewfull=1#post2044742
The filter issue isn't the pickup tube, the correct spacer between the filter and valve body is missing. Some PO used two nuts as a replacement and still lacking 1/4" to keep it tight so the filter flops like a tail shot coyote.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks