• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Drock

Wow, what a weekend. I feel like I got run over repeatedly by my truck. BUT, it was well worth the pain!

I finally got around to finishing up my 4 inch lift. I did a shackle flip in the rear and a set of new SkyJacker springs in the front. I also did a new greasable shackle in front, steering box brace, swaybar quick disconnect, DRZ front differential cover, 4 new tough country shocks, leaf wedges to correct the pinion angle, and new body bushings.

What a difference! I had already done a custom turbo install. This was like icing on the cake.

It drives up a tree stump pretty well. Glad I did the lift this way. Drives very smooth and has lots of travel. Time for the dirt and mud testing! (My favorite part)View attachment 701100
Looks good! I just wanted to warn you, that with the Skyjacker front springs you may have to buy & install their "Add-A-leaf" kit to them if the truck has it's 6.2 diesel. I installed their 2.5" lift kit and after about 2 months the front sagged real bad! When I called to complain they said "Your supposed install an Add-A-leaf":roll:. As if I was supposed to know:shrugs:, their website never mentioned it? Sense yours is a 4" lift perhaps it's not needed? But it's worth a call2cents

LT67

Got the leaking freeze plug fixed and a new fuel filter. It feels like a new truck now, I can actually pass other vehicles on the highway. Lol

Bighorn

Front 10 bolt axle service; replace, seals, spindle bearings, and repack bearings.
Replace front axle shaft u-joints
Added a Spartan locker to the front 10 bolt as well while in there.
Transmission service; replace filter and fluid.

I was suspicious of the front axle because when I replaced the broken hub on day two; while driving the rig home from the seller, I saw pink, white, and black grease inside around the wheel bearings.
Yes, grease is grease.
I just can't stand having a bunch of dried up wheel bearing grease of one type mixed with white lithium grease (which has no place in a disc brake equipped wheel bearing) and whatever the pink stuff was.
So I bought a GM8.5 10 bolt front axle service kit from Torque King of Billings Montana as well as a pair of front axle shaft u-joints, and a Spartan locker to replace the spider gears.
All my rigs have locking differentials front and rear.
There is no comparison between having one open diffs or even one locker in the rear.
Offroad or in deep mud or snow; having two locking diffs means getting through no matter what.

Lucky for me I found a broken seal on the drive side axle shaft during disassembly and that meant water was not far behind getting into that hub had I not done this service today.
All the validation I needed.
Then I took the rig out for a wheeling session around Bald Mountain in a mic of mud and snow to try out my fully locked rig.
That Gov-loc is not my favorite but it does work.
The front Spartan locker is torque sensing so it locks up the second you apply throttle.
Being in the front axle; it is almost invisible off road, except for the increased traction.
There is a tendency to follow ruts.
There is not noise.
I had one in the rear of m 1976 K5 but swapped it out because it was so loud on the street.
Of course the front axle is disconnected via the hubs on pavement so it is totally invisible there.
If you are in 2 wd and have the hubs locked on the street, you will hear a bit of locking action up front but feel nothing in the handling of the rig at all.
The Gov-loc rear takes some wheel spin before the clockwork mechanism tightens the friction plates and locks the rear.
I might be swapping in a Detroit before the snow really begins to fly.. or I might wait till spring. But the Gov-Loc is a goner either way.
View attachment 701330

That pile of parts on the right is significantly smaller tonight.
View attachment 701331

View attachment 701332

View attachment 701333

View attachment 701337
The Spartan locker replaces the spider gears inside an open differential.
When coasting around corners it ratchets to allow differential tire rotation.
Under power the cross shaft locks both axle shafts together.
In a rear axle; they can be quite obnoxious; ratcheting, banging, and chirping tires on the street.
In a front axle; they are invisible when in 2wd and hubs unlocked. In 4wd the traction is ridiculous but it does come with a price. A front torque sensing locker tends to follow ruts and you will need to modulate the trottle on steep hill climbs with tight turns to give it a chance to unlock momentarily so you can turn.

View attachment 701338
The Spartan locker model is the same for front or rear 10 bolt axles. It comes with a new cross pine and cross pin lock bolt.
ALWAYS make sure to replace the cross pin lock bolt with a new one. They are a wear item with a nasty habit of shearing off if re-used.

View attachment 701339

New Spicer 5-297 axle shaft u-joints. Won't have to worry about them for a while. Thanks to the front locker I won't need to spin the wheels to go places and even though the locker applies 100% torque to both axles under load, I find I need MUCH less throttle and therefore load to go places.
The "hunting" of an open front differential is gone now too.
Just remember that when you have the front wheels turned sharply left or right; keep off the go-pedal.
Heavy throttle when making tight turns under load is what blows up front axle shafts and u-joints.

View attachment 701340

The new spindle bearings came in the 10 bolt re-fresh kit from Torque king of Billings.
You'll need a slide hammer with a hook attachment to get these out from inside the spindles.
A 1-3/16" socket was a perfect fit to drive the new spindle bearing home with a hammer and a little tapping.

View attachment 701341
This axle seal was cracked.
It is weird to think about but this seal actually seals the outer wheel bearing in a way.
If water penetrates here, it passed through the spindle, over the spindle bearings, and into the cavity behind the locking hub.
Your outer wheel bearing is right there unprotected at that point.
I got the front axle service kit from Torque King of Billing Montana.
It came with all three axle seals for the outer stubs, inner wheel bearing hub seals, spindle bearings, a differential cover gasket, new spindle nuts, locktite(for spindle nuts), and anti seize (for the brake caliper pins)

View attachment 701342

Waving a hand from Wyoming's Bighorn mountains.
The new found traction is amazing and having the front axle freshly sealed and water tight with new axle u-joints to boot, is comforting

Last edited:

Volvo740turbo

Front 10 bolt axle service; replace, seals, spindle bearings, and repack bearings.
Replace front axle shaft u-joints
Added a Spartan locker to the front 10 bolt as well while in there.
Transmission service; replace filter and fluid.

I was suspicious of the front axle because when I replaced the broken hub on day two; while driving the rig home from the seller, I saw pink, white, and black grease inside around the wheel bearings.
Yes, grease is grease.
I just can't stand having a bunch of dried up wheel bearing grease of one type mixed with white lithium grease (which has no place in a disc brake equipped wheel bearing) and whatever the pink stuff was.
So I bought a GM8.5 10 bolt front axle service kit from Torque King of Billings Montana as well as a pair of front axle shaft u-joints, and a Spartan locker to replace the spider gears.
All my rigs have locking differentials front and rear.
There is no comparison between having one open diffs or even one locker in the rear.
Offroad or in deep mud or snow; having two locking diffs means getting through no matter what.

Lucky for me I found a broken seal on the drive side axle shaft during disassembly and that meant water was not far behind getting into that hub had I not done this service today.
All the validation I needed.
Then I took the rig out for a wheeling session around Bald Mountain in a mic of mud and snow to try out my fully locked rig.
That Gov-loc is not my favorite but it does work.
The front Spartan locker is torque sensing so it locks up the second you apply throttle.
Being in the front axle; it is almost invisible off road, except for the increased traction.
There is a tendency to follow ruts.
There is not noise.
I had one in the rear of m 1976 K5 but swapped it out because it was so loud on the street.
Of course the front axle is disconnected via the hubs on pavement so it is totally invisible there.
If you are in 2 wd and have the hubs locked on the street, you will hear a bit of locking action up front but feel nothing in the handling of the rig at all.
The Gov-loc rear takes some wheel spin before the clockwork mechanism tightens the friction plates and locks the rear.
I might be swapping in a Detroit before the snow really begins to fly.. or I might wait till spring. But the Gov-Loc is a goner either way.
View attachment 701330

That pile of parts on the right is significantly smaller tonight.
View attachment 701331

View attachment 701332

View attachment 701333

View attachment 701337
The Spartan locker replaces the spider gears inside an open differential.
When coasting around corners it ratchets to allow differential tire rotation.
Under power the cross shaft locks both axle shafts together.
In a rear axle; they can be quite obnoxious; ratcheting, banging, and chirping tires on the street.
In a front axle; they are invisible when in 2wd and hubs unlocked. In 4wd the traction is ridiculous but it does come with a price. A front torque sensing locker tends to follow ruts and you will need to modulate the trottle on steep hill climbs with tight turns to give it a chance to unlock momentarily so you can turn.

View attachment 701338
The Spartan locker model is the same for front or rear 10 bolt axles. It comes with a new cross pine and cross pin lock bolt.
ALWAYS make sure to replace the cross pin lock bolt with a new one. They are a wear item with a nasty habit of shearing off if re-used.

View attachment 701339

New Spicer 5-297 axle shaft u-joints. Won't have to worry about them for a while. Thanks to the front locker I won't need to spin the wheels to go places and even though the locker applies 100% torque to both axles under load, I find I need MUCH less throttle and therefore load to go places.
The "hunting" of an open front differential is gone now too.
Just remember that when you have the front wheels turned sharply left or right; keep off the go-pedal.
Heavy throttle when making tight turns under load is what blows up front axle shafts and u-joints.

View attachment 701340

The new spindle bearings came in the 10 bolt re-fresh kit from Torque king of Billings.
You'll need a slide hammer with a hook attachment to get these out from inside the spindles.
A 1-3/16" socket was a perfect fit to drive the new spindle bearing home with a hammer and a little tapping.

View attachment 701341
This axle seal was cracked.
It is weird to think about but this seal actually seals the outer wheel bearing in a way.
If water penetrates here, it passed through the spindle, over the spindle bearings, and into the cavity behind the locking hub.
Your outer wheel bearing is right there unprotected at that point.
I got the front axle service kit from Torque King of Billing Montana.
It came with all three axle seals for the outer stubs, inner wheel bearing hub seals, spindle bearings, a differential cover gasket, new spindle nuts, locktite(for spindle nuts), and anti seize (for the brake caliper pins)

View attachment 701342

Waving a hand from Wyoming's Bighorn mountains.
The new found traction is amazing and having the front axle freshly sealed and water tight with new axle u-joints to boot, is comforting
Looks like a heck of a day!

Bighorn

I love my day off.
Nothing I would rather do than wrench on my truck (s).
This was a perfect day; 1/2 wrenching 1/2 wheeling and chillin like a fat rat.
Now I am dreaming of a detroit and fresh 3.08 ring and pinion and Yukon allow axle shafts and...
Gonna rebuild the transfer case on next day off.
New bearings, seals, chain, the works.
I am relentless when I get a new truck.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have no idea how many times I've wished that your statement was true.
But running locked front and rear sure has gotten me deeper into the gnarly stuff - also known as being harder to extract when finally stuck.

Bighorn

You have no idea how many times I've wished that your statement was true.
But running locked front and rear sure has gotten me deeper into the gnarly stuff - also known as being harder to extract when finally stuck.
Yeppers, it's a catch 22 for sure.
Like they say around here in winter; "You got chains on all 4 wheels and you still got stuck.. probably shouldn't be there."

I hear ya.
View attachment 701382
Fully locked, brand new 33 KM2's.. no chains but.. stuck!
Always bring a shovel.

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeppers, it's a catch 22 for sure. Like they say around here in winter; "You got chains on all 4 wheels and you still got stuck.. probably shouldn't be there." I hear ya.
Well, what sucks is when both axles are locked and having chains on all four doesn't do it. Haven't tried them out yet, but got some far more meaningful chains for this winter.

Bighorn

I got a set of 4 diamond pattern chains; they criss cross diagonally, and the tensioners and stuff.
Used them once last winter on my 76 K5 to pull a 2,000 lb trailer with probably 1,000 lbs of groceries and beer up the mountain to the snow cat.
It was kinda a pain because I made it to with a few miles of the cat when I started spinning all four.
The FAA plows the last section of road and they don't work weekends.
So there I was on a 10% grade with a 400 cu inch chevy and two locked axles and putting chains on.
Took longer to put the chains on than to finish the drive up the mountain.
They are nice to have though.
It is the "nuclear"option.
Some of these good ole boys around here even use them for mud.
No Thanks.
Those things were 400 bucks.. i aint gonna run them in the mud.

View attachment 701385View attachment 701384

I put Mattracks on the lodge dodge to shuttle guests since we are only accessible over the snow for 7 months.
That is out little Thiokol.
We have a Big Cat Diesel LMC too.

But it comes down to my 1976 Chevrolet K5 Blazer with a 400, lockers and 3.73 gear to bring home the bacon.. and beer, for the lodge.
Kinda funny.
My old 76 is grease rusty has cracks in the frame I booger welded, but is basically sound.
Gets 10 mpg no matter what.
Hilarious.

Last edited:

edpdx

I pulled my starter. It was oil choked, and the bendix was hanging-up, not seating, so it would not fire. I started to rewire for a ford solenoid on the firewall, but the darn thing would not engage. I still don't know why- I was getting 12 v to the "S" term on the ford solenoid, but it did not activate the plunger, so the juice never made it to the BATTERY FEED on the stock (DD replacement) starter. I got frustrated and just rewired it to the stock config until I get the right solenoid.

Since it <s>can be</s> is a PITA to get things tight rewiring the original Delco, I have made a wire harness that makes install/removal way easier: 2g battery feed cable about 5 feet long Ring connector on one end, Anderson connector on the other. The 6g wire that is the PURPLE wire that goes to the "S" on the OEM solenoid gets a smaller Anderson Connector. The two cables are zip-tied at intervals so that the purple wire piggy-backs in the cable clamps- no mess.

The Anderson connectors attach to the 6G purple lead that goes to the starter relay (Connects near the front battery along with the 2G that comes from the 24v bus on the firewall. To install I take the attached harness and starter below, feed the wires ahead of the starter to where I'll be able to reach them from above. Once the starter is wrestled into place I thread the stud through the support brace and get a nut loosely in place. Get the starter bolts both in- no shims this time, Tighten the support brace nut, tighten the starter mounting bolts, check clearance, replace flexplate shield crawl out.

Seems overthought, I know, but I always think things need just a bit more tightening while laying on my back. This way all my connections are lock-tited in place- no knuckle busting, monkey fingering. No (less) dirt in my eyes. Connect/disconnect both wires to starter while disconnecting the battery cables. Drop the leads through the chassis. Three bolts, two wrenches and the starter is out.

I'll post the picture next time I get a chance.

Bighorn

View attachment 702289

Took my M1009 out for a spin to sight in my .30 06 deer rifle.
This old cabin was probably a line shack back in the days when they drove the cattle on horseback.
Or it could have been a gold prospectors shack.
Turned out to be a nice day.

Volvo740turbo

I took the cucv in for transmission leak repairs..i could have done them myself but work and my peptic stomach ulcers are keeping me from being able to do it in a decent amount of time....im pretty butthurt someone else is touching my truck honestly...

Another Ahab

I took the cucv in for transmission leak repairs..i could have done them myself but work and my peptic stomach ulcers are keeping me from being able to do it in a decent amount of time....im pretty butthurt someone else is touching my truck honestly...
Understood, but is it somebody you used before, do you know their work?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks