• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Chaski

So, I go out to do my weekly crank and run a bit and although 24 volt battery tender shows full charged batteries, it won't turn over and just makes clicking sounds. So I take rear battery loose and hook up fast 12 Volt charger and in 2 min, fully charged, then repeat process to unconnected other battery bang 2 min fully charged.
Then connect all backup and try cranking again, same think just clicks, wtf could this be, I'm not diesel savy, and handicapped to boot, anyone with suggestions, its appreciated, no mechanics in my area know squat.

I know others have allready suggested this, but you really need to load test those batteries.. Just because a battery has good voltage at the terminals with no load does not mean it is good. Good voltage and good current are two different animals. A load test with a battery load tester is better... but there is a test you can do at home. For a DIY load test get a multimeter and put it on DC volts. Place the leads on one of the batteries, then turn on everything you can in the pickup... headlights, blower motor, cycle the glow plugs etc... See what your voltage is then do the other battery. It is possible for a battery to fail in a way that it will still have good voltage unloaded, but as soon as you load it a bit voltage will fall.

mike634

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a NOS set of Delphi injectors from Badger Diesel, # 6704001. They came with new fuel hose and washers. They sell them as a kit on Ebay. The socket came from Amazon, OTC 5060 Detroit Diesel socket.
[h=1][/h]

MarcusOReallyus

Then connect all backup and try cranking again, same think just clicks, wtf could this be, I'm not diesel savy,
This has nothing to do with diesel. It's the starting circuit. Troubleshooting is the same as if you had a gasser in there. (Well, except for the 24v business.)

I have to agree about load testing. If that checks out good, time to get out the -20 and read through the troubleshooting section for starting problems.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s been about two weeks since I installed my new Delphi injectors and hose kit.
Bought from same place.
Truck is running beautifully!!
I bought the snap-on injector socket and it worked perfect.

Wish I would have changed them as soon as I bought the truck.

SSGTUSMC

Well today, replaced the rear U-Joint's, changed the oil, changed the belts, cleaned all the glass and added rain-x on the outside glass and finally washed out the floor. The O9 is looking good!!! :-D

20170618_153722.jpg

joshuak

I had been procrastinating doing the 2 year preventive maintenance on the front wheel bearings on the '09, but feeling warm hubs after short drives prompted me to tear into it. Glad I did.

Some worn parts
IMG_2479.jpg

Some new parts
IMG_2481.jpg
Outer bearing and race
Inner race
Inner bearing
Seal

IMG_2490.jpg
Master cylinder/D.S. hose/P.S. hose.

Also replaced calipers, brake pads and rotors.

IMG_2487.jpg IMG_2488.jpg

DREDnot

Another two steps forward, one step back.

Installed upper rifle mounts. Thanks HAWKMAN!
Painted gray dash pad satin brown.
Installed new side marker lenses.
Installed newish sun visor.
Fixed gauge illumination.
Installed NOS CDR valve
Installed vacuum reservoir to assist failing vacuum pump. Shifting correctly now.
Installed all new window weather stripping on the passenger door
Soldered splice in broken left rear turn wire.

Found leak in a freeze plug.
Broke one of the lock tabs on the wait light mount box.
Stripped all hardware out of the tailgate
Right turn signal stops flashing when brakes are applied.

Last edited:

computer54

OK but the one on Amazon is by OTC and they are a very good brand and I have used them before and they are the same quality as Snap-on, and it's up to you then.

j.cherry377

somewhere between 1 and half pound and 2 pounds , draw the vacume and add gas till the compressor quits cycling and then measure vent temp, should be like 30-40 degrees, once you achieve that stop. More works backwards

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks