• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to take a 3 hour break and drive my wife to the ER after she got attacked and bitten by a feral dog pack. Fortunately, this happened close to the county road and our neighbor's son came to help her.
'No one needs a gun' - The State of MD.

You should have just called the police. /sarcasm

sneekyeye

I got my rubber brake hoses put on. As soon as I finished bleeding the brakes, the master cylinder started leaking from the rear. So I got to put a master cylinder in as well. And bleed the entire brake system again. At least my brakes are better than ever now.

Baer

I just got home from registering my CUCV in the Great State of Texas. It took one full morning at a State Inspection Station, and 4 trips to the county offices over 2 days time. All said and done, as she was wrapping up the clerk said "now it is a regular three quarter ton Texas pickup truck." When I corrected her by saying "five quarter ton," She gave me a somewhat stern look and basically said, but you undid all those Army modifications "right?" Now if there is one thing everyone should know about the State of Texas is that in general people here are very polite. So at that point I simply responded with "Yes Mam".

cucvrus

It is a standard K30 1 ton truck. Everything on the suspension and frame is STOCK. I hear guys at the parts stores going into the details as CUCV 1 1/4 ton. At one time I chimed in. Now I just buy my parts and move on. My friend told his insurance company it was combat truck and they would not insure it because they listed it as a postal unit. They thought it was for delivering mail. Heard most of these things. Like the M1009 3/4 ton. 6 lug wheels is 1/2 ton even civilian 3/4 tons had 8 lug wheels. Have a great day. My Combat Utility Carrier / Vehicle is all ready for action. And some close but not quite.

86m1028

I just got home from registering my CUCV in the Great State of Texas. It took one full morning at a State Inspection Station, and 4 trips to the county offices over 2 days time. All said and done, as she was wrapping up the clerk said "now it is a regular three quarter ton Texas pickup truck." When I corrected her by saying "five quarter ton," She gave me a somewhat stern look and basically said, but you undid all those Army modifications "right?" Now if there is one thing everyone should know about the State of Texas is that in general people here are very polite. So at that point I simply responded with "Yes Mam".
Sad to hear about all the hassle.
Im in Collin co & have trained 2 of the ladies at my tax office on everything from cucv’s to 5 tons.
At the counter now less than 5 minutes start to finish !

MarcusOReallyus

When I corrected her by saying "five quarter ton," She gave me a somewhat stern look and basically said, but you undid all those Army modifications "right?" Now if there is one thing everyone should know about the State of Texas is that in general people here are very polite. So at that point I simply responded with "Yes Mam".
Wise man! :mrgreen:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed today yet another Gates #33924 thermostat.
This is the third one since I bought truck.
Second one in about 2-3 weeks.
They are now made in China........Shocker.

Yes it’s installed correctly and is the 190 degree thermostat designed for the 6.2L Diesel application.
Last one worked fine initially and then just started opening at about 160.
Have AutoMeter water temp gauge installed.
The one first installed in truck lasted over two years and then started doing same thing.
Would open at a cooler temp and then finally just stayed open.

System was completely flushed and antifreeze is clear green. No debris.
Heater works and no leaks.

No coolant in oil or exhaust and no bubbles in coolant

Guess I’m getting a bad batch.
Both were bought from amazon.
Have used Gates products for decades and have had extremely great luck with them.

If this one fails then it’s ACDELCO and then Slant for a backup.

Ilikemtb999

Installed today yet another Gates #33924 thermostat.
This is the third one since I bought truck.
Second one in about 2-3 weeks.
They are now made in China........Shocker.

Yes it’s installed correctly and is the 190 degree thermostat designed for the 6.2L Diesel application.
Last one worked fine initially and then just started opening at about 160.
Have AutoMeter water temp gauge installed.
The one first installed in truck lasted over two years and then started doing same thing.
Would open at a cooler temp and then finally just stayed open.

System was completely flushed and antifreeze is clear green. No debris.
Heater works and no leaks.

No coolant in oil or exhaust and no bubbles in coolant

Guess I’m getting a bad batch.
Both were bought from amazon.
Have used Gates products for decades and have had extremely great luck with them.

If this one fails then it’s ACDELCO and then Slant for a backup.
I had a similar issue with gates thermostats. Couldn’t get my 09 over 160* all winter no matter what I did. Replaced thermostat again and same issue. Everything has been flushed but seems like my thermostat is staying open or opening earlier than it should. I need to get around to swapping it again.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it seems then that the Gates from China are a POS.
You did well finding the Robertshaw ones.

The Gates I just installed is already showing signs of giving up.
Starting to open at 180* now.
Just perfect.

Merddin

Well it seems then that the Gates from China are a POS.
You did well finding the Robertshaw ones.

The Gates I just installed is already showing signs of giving up.
Starting to open at 180* now.
Just perfect.
Folks you can still get a US made thermostat from GM for under $15. I got one in Feb 2018. It was ac Delco and looked exactly like my original one from 86. I believe it took a day or two for dealer to receive. My dad, who is a mechanic with over 50 years of experience warned me about problems with Chinese thermostats and generally all Chinese OEM spec parts. Save yourself the hassle and buy an American one. It is a US Army truck after all.

Ok I looked at my receipt! $11.46 from GM. Part # 14077122 for thermostat, $2.29 gasket- #12551591

Merddin

Recently I removed instrument cluster. Then cleaned and greased all bulb sockets. My cluster base was broken where the gear shift indicator cable went through, so I got another instrument cluster my dad had extra from his 1008 and took the best dials and lenses from both and Installed on the good base. But of course, the printed circuit had a hole on the good cluster base. So I had to take apart again and move my good printed circuit to new base. I checked all the bulbs and sockets with a battery. Finally I put3 LED 168s in to brighten my display. One is between speedo and tach other two on top corners adjacent to dials. Took a few days, but really 6-7 hours. I had a cranky 2 year old son to battle at the time.

I also changed differential fluid on front and rear axles. I added a bottle of limited slip additive from GM to each axle. Took 3 quarts fluid for back and close to that for front.
Tranny fluid, filter and trans drain p!ug are next!

I Greased front ball joints after replacing g a few grease fittings.

Hopefully new steering stabilizer tomorrow. Just received Rancho rs5000 from Amazon for $50.

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
added a spare spare

and an easily accessible hydraulic jack.
spare_spare.jpg
At least two of the other rigs that I travel with run the same 16.5 inch, two piece, double beadlock wheels that I do. The tire on the bottom of the stack is mounted, ready to go. The top is a tire only. Recall these H1 wheels/tires are field serviceable without special tools.

We typically travel as a group of 5 or 6 vehicles, so share the spare parts/tools load: no need to have six highlift jacks, six winches, six complete sets of tools, six spare tires. I have the space so I'm the spare tire guy.

The aluminum hydraulic jack is mounted with J-hooks where the spare fuel can goes. I have plenty of range without carrying extra fuel. It's way lighter than a highlift, and the others have one anyway.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Vehicles do not learn behavior. They do not "become dependent".
Famous quote of the day. Thank you for that Sir.

Mine has become dependent. It waits for a sound thrashing each weekend on various tasks. Most heavy and dirty. It is dependent of that task and also addicted to diesel fuel, grease, oil. At least it is NOT dependent on hacked up wiring and lots of repairs. Very low maintenance vehicle if you follow the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid. Just the routine maintenance and a bit more before it is needed is the key. Have a Great Day. I have an Ark to build see you later.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vehicles do not learn behavior. They do not "become dependent".
Famous quote of the day. Thank you for that Sir.

Mine has become dependent. It waits for a sound thrashing each weekend on various tasks. Most heavy and dirty. It is dependent of that task and also addicted to diesel fuel, grease, oil. At least it is NOT dependent on hacked up wiring and lots of repairs. Very low maintenance vehicle if you follow the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid. Just the routine maintenance and a bit more before it is needed is the key. Have a Great Day. I have an Ark to build see you later.
routine maintenance and a bit more
Yes, each maintenance cycle, do something to undo the effects of 34 years. Then your CUCV will set you free.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks