• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Nico

...rustproofing the M1009
some longtime tests in my favorite oldtimer magazine
shows, that fat based anti-rust protection got the best results.
-- wax (old wax will crack soon, almost no protection)
- oil
++fat (best creep and durability, especialy the stuff you got to have to heat up before the treat)

IMG_2874.jpg
IMG_3300.jpg
IMG_3301.jpg
IMG_3303.jpg
IMG_3304.jpg
IMG_3308.jpg

chief1983

Finally finished my RetroSound radio install before the float I just went on over the weekend, had tunes the whole way for the first time ever. Used LMC speakers in the dash in the factory locations (I think) to get 4 channels of sound. Got my dash all buttoned up and all my bulbs working again (except oil which has never worked so I installed a gauge for it) and now I just need to install the sending unit half of my fuel pressure gauge (see pic for dash half). Also fixed a bad taillight, apparently bulbs can develop shorts and not just burn out completely. Replaced a socket before I learned that. New K&N air filter, new CDR valve, fresh oil and WIX filter, ordered ORD sway arm bushings to put in this week along with my Rancho RS5000s I hope, and also hopefully the new electric fuel pump and new fuel filter. Maybe even the deep transmission pan and transmission temp sending unit and gauge.

20140522_194642_2.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally finished my RetroSound radio install before the float I just went on over the weekend, had tunes the whole way for the first time ever. Used LMC speakers in the dash in the factory locations (I think) to get 4 channels of sound. Got my dash all buttoned up and all my bulbs working again (except oil which has never worked so I installed a gauge for it) and now I just need to install the sending unit half of my fuel pressure gauge (see pic for dash half). Also fixed a bad taillight, apparently bulbs can develop shorts and not just burn out completely. Replaced a socket before I learned that. New K&N air filter, new CDR valve, fresh oil and WIX filter, ordered ORD sway arm bushings to put in this week along with my Rancho RS5000s I hope, and also hopefully the new electric fuel pump and new fuel filter. Maybe even the deep transmission pan and transmission temp sending unit and gauge.

View attachment 495040
It's nice to see a radio install where Abdullah the Butcher wasn't invited. Single DIN radios hacked into CUCVs just looks bad.

RobM36A2

Got up early yesterday (sunday) and decided to install the headlights I bought from a friend.
Clear lenses with LED's on the side, to use as driving lights.
Did not know how to hook it up as driving lights, so made a separate switch.

Today went to a buddy to adjust the lights, because in the dark, I was blinding oncoming traffic.
His machine made clear that the beam is not fully road legal here, but hey, next inspection is in november :whistle:

Koplamp4.jpg Koplamp3.jpg Koplamp1.jpg Koplamp2.jpg

rust4days

Another starter bites the dust dropped it off at the rebuild shop guy calls me next day and says what the **** exactly did you use this starter for? Lol I started telling him how I replaced my fuel injection pump and I was cranking like a son of bitch too prime it, he says never mind I heard to much I'll call you when it's fixed lol

chief1983

This is why my next upgrade now that the radio is installed is an electric fuel pump, along with a fuel pressure sensor (gauge already installed, see my previous post above).

K9Vic

Got up early yesterday (sunday) and decided to install the headlights I bought from a friend.
Clear lenses with LED's on the side, to use as driving lights.
Did not know how to hook it up as driving lights, so made a separate switch.

Today went to a buddy to adjust the lights, because in the dark, I was blinding oncoming traffic.
His machine made clear that the beam is not fully road legal here, but hey, next inspection is in november :whistle:

View attachment 495171
If you did not also add a headlight relay harness you are going to overload your headlight circuit with those H4 bulbs in those headlights. You should check to make sure your 20 amp fuse is not getting hot and melting the fuse holder.

RobM36A2

If you did not also add a headlight relay harness you are going to overload your headlight circuit with those H4 bulbs in those headlights. You should check to make sure your 20 amp fuse is not getting hot and melting the fuse holder.
The old lights that came out, were also H4 bulbs. Already had a few hours of drivetime with the old lights (continious) on, no issues yet.
Not hot fuse, no funky smells. Still need to take a long drive with these ones on. the LED's are being used as driving lights, love them!

sochuck

I had been having an issue with the driver's door window hanging when rolling up...well I thought I was going to have to replace the regulator but being the cheap person I am, I pulled the trim and after allot....ALLOT of lubing the window works better than new....grease but before you replace!

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3.73s in my m1009. OMG. It's like a new truck. I can actually merge into traffic, get off the line, change lanes, etc. I can tell it's revving higher but I can't help my foot...

rsh4364

3.73s in my m1009. OMG. It's like a new truck. I can actually merge into traffic, get off the line, change lanes, etc. I can tell it's revving higher but I can't help my foot...
with the torque our motors have,373s would be a good perf.gear,hows it effected your mpg?I plan on 373s eventually,but only after a turbo and OD trans..I generally drive mine 80-100 miles per day as its my work vehicle,so I have to watch MPG.

Cucvnut

Last edited:

RobM36A2

I had been having an issue with the driver's door window hanging when rolling up...well I thought I was going to have to replace the regulator but being the cheap person I am, I pulled the trim and after allot....ALLOT of lubing the window works better than new....grease but before you replace!
I also had a hanging window, on the passenger side, I needed 3 hands to get it up. 1 to crank, 2 to push the windows up.
Inspection showed a bent rod somewhere in there. So with some pliers and screwdrivers bent the thing back in shape and voila, now it rolls freely up again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks