• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

LT67

The 28 starter MT turns faster. It has a gear reduction. Remember the old school Chrysler products? The 27 MT will take more abuse has been my experience. But if you need to crank more then a few revolutions you have other issues that need addressed. Keep the CCA of the batteries in check and the starter will last a long time. And throwing a few brushes and other parts into an old starter does not constitute a rebuilt starter. I have been to a starter rebuilding shop. There is a lot of equipment that gets used and that is why some starters last and some don't. like everything done half fast it will bit you in the end. Good Luck and Take care.
My 27MT had been completely gone through with all of the correct 24v parts. For some odd reason it kept frying a bendix and we could not figure out why.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually changing the brushes and bushings and a few other items just to get a starter barely working is a "rebuilt" starter. It often has a few days warranty or none. It often works a while then fails. You might get a good one occasionally.

A remanufactured starter is completely disassembled and every part cleaned and tested . These parts are usually tested three times in the entire process. The best remanufactured starters will often times have every part replaced inside the original case. All that is reused is the case. Some used parts sometimes pass all tests and are used. All new parts must meet or exceed GM specifications to go in an AC DELCO remanufactured starter. You can not use a foreign made solenoid with weak contacts, or a starter drive (bendix) that is cheap made, or a diode trio that is cheap made and expect good results. Any part that is subpar makes for problems down the road.

I have had real good luck with the Delco remans, Wilson new and remans, and the military surplus that came out of Ohio. In 50 years I have seen one Delco starter not work from the start. It had a guarantee no questions ask. It probably had a bad shelf life because the box was a little rough. You can have trouble with a reman but not near as often as a rebuilt. I have used the parts store brand lifetime guaranteed starters and is a good thing they are. You might have to put on three before you get a good one.

Batteries, cables, and every part in the circuit play a part in how a starter lasts also. Every component needs to perform properly. I might add rebuilt and remanufactured applies to all parts in our vehicles.

Thatwelderguy88

Its been a bit since ive been able to do some work to my m1008. Few months back i was having some issues with a miss and excessive white smoke throughout the rpm range. I swapped the injectors that i picked up from 2insane and bumped the ip timing some. It got better but still smoked. The injectors were so bad idk how it ran. Since them ive replaced the lift pump, fuel lines, filter, glow plugs, and i ordered a new timing chain. So fast forward to this week, i was starting to do the timing chain and what did i find? Cylinders 3 and 4 were plumbed wrong at the pump! Explains why the injectors on those cylinders were completely roached! I decided to plumb the lines to the correct ports, reinstall the intake and fire it up. Wouldnt ya know, after 10 mins white smoke was nearly gone. Still had a slight miss but without doing a compression check, i suspect the rings may have be washed. But ive been plowing with it, and seems to be slowly righting itself.

LT67

The correct lift pump has been installed on the 86 M1008. Lol, that old truck ain't never moved that fast before. I can actually feel the truck accelerate lol

I still have to use the manual glow plug switch on warm restarts, but it starts much faster and easier. Now I should be able to beat a moped in a drag race...

Keith_J

Used the 1031 to go on a parts run for the daily driver. Which was an excuse to drive a few miles. Tested my heater control valve, half open is still plenty warm.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Duramax fuel filter set up on the 85 M1008. My factory unit started leaking, so I needed a new set up.
Are those duramax units readily available? What's the approximate cost on them?

Edit; cancel, I found the information

Skinny

I continued the camper-ization of my m1031. Removed the tail gate and added an RV door with screen, as well as a boat ladder for crawling in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Snuggle right up to the generator for a good nights sleep! For some reason everytime I climb in the back of the service box I find something sharp with the top of my head...

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

kylethompson

Snuggle right up to the generator for a good nights sleep! For some reason everytime I climb in the back of the service box I find something sharp with the top of my head...

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
Ha. Yes that would be quite a feat to sleep next to the gen set. I removed everything inside the box immediately after buying the 1031. All the original equipment actually went to another steel soldiers member.

I sleep sideways across where the generator used to sit and built an extension drawer under the bed platform. It totally changes the space in there. I sleep very comfortably and am 6’3”. You can kind of see the bed in this pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting use of a 1031. Guess if your feet get hot, you could open that door right there where they are. Same with your head for that matter.

Keith_J

On my 1031, I moved the compressor to above the generator making a platform from square steel tube. I can sleep left of the generator.
What I want to do is make a plywood base for a tent on the roof.

Skinny

Looks good

I can't get rid of my generator. I like looking at it. I decided to outfit my Suburban to sleep in it. Little more glass, little more inviting. But I think the M1031 is the best and most versatile truck made. Of course that is opinion because I have one.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks