• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Salty dog

Good News is I have a brand new OEM GM M1009 right 1/4 panel if you are interested. Let me know. That area that is damaged on yours is a tough area to get straight. Lots of unreachable pockets and detail work to get everything fitting correctly without filling it. Good Luck. I just wanted to put that out there.
I appreciate the offer and will let you know

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been working on installing a troop seat kit and a cargo cover on the M1028. I am still waiting on some parts to finish up the last 2 seats and I still need to remove and paint the seat slats on a few of the seats. I installed the cargo cover hardware and got that on today. All things considered; the top is pretty ridged and fits really nice. My fiance wants me to drive all of her friends around wine tasting in the back LOL.IMG_9400.jpgIMG_9401.jpgIMG_9402.jpgIMG_9403.jpgIMG_9404.jpgIMG_9405.jpgIMG_9406.jpg

KallyLC

That looks great, I'm getting close to finishing off my cargo cover, just waiting on paint and some small parts at the moment.

Do you have your bows pinned in the first or second holes? I had mine in the first holes when I mocked it up, and it seemed a bit soggy.

cucvrus

I have been working on installing a troop seat kit and a cargo cover on the M1028. I am still waiting on some parts to finish up the last 2 seats and I still need to remove and paint the seat slats on a few of the seats. I installed the cargo cover hardware and got that on today. All things considered; the top is pretty ridged and fits really nice. My fiance wants me to drive all of her friends around wine tasting in the back LOL.View attachment 864462View attachment 864463View attachment 864464View attachment 864465View attachment 864466View attachment 864467View attachment 864468

I think all wine tasting CUCV's should have a boarding ladder. Just saying.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks great, I'm getting close to finishing off my cargo cover, just waiting on paint and some small parts at the moment.

Do you have your bows pinned in the first or second holes? I had mine in the first holes when I mocked it up, and it seemed a bit soggy.
My struts only had one hole to pin them to length. It put them at the full extension for the top. My biggest issue was not having the center limiting strap. I went to HB and picked up a pair of the 1 inch by 12-foot cam straps and connected them into one big loop and did an approximate height check. I put the top on and adjusted from there. With the excess strap left over, i moved it to the middle bow and then did figure 8's around the center bow to lock the strap in. Its surprisingly solid once I got the corner straps tied into the footman loops. I was surprised on how tight the top fit. I wonder if the extra holes you have in your struts were added as someone maybe had a different top and had to make adjustments. The images in the TM didn't appear to show two sets of holes.

KallyLC

My struts only had one hole to pin them to length. It put them at the full extension for the top. My biggest issue was not having the center limiting strap. I went to HB and picked up a pair of the 1 inch by 12-foot cam straps and connected them into one big loop and did an approximate height check. I put the top on and adjusted from there. With the excess strap left over, i moved it to the middle bow and then did figure 8's around the center bow to lock the strap in. Its surprisingly solid once I got the corner straps tied into the footman loops. I was surprised on how tight the top fit. I wonder if the extra holes you have in your struts were added as someone maybe had a different top and had to make adjustments. The images in the TM didn't appear to show two sets of holes.
Interesting, I'll have to inspect the pin holes in mine to see if I can work out which are the originals and which might be extra. They both looked about right to me at a glance, so I thought nothing of it.

Update: I checked, and I'm not sure. I'd assume the holes with the stamped indents are the originals but those are the holes I was using, and the top looked kind of sloppy. I guess that might be why the other ones are there.

1649789901351.png

Last edited:

Salty dog

SaltyDog, do you have a thread showing what you've got going on with your batteries? Looks like everything has been relocated to the rear?
The batteries are still under the hood, the two cables you see were for the radio equipment that could be installed in the M1009. I still have to reinstall the shelf that goes directly above the

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting, I'll have to inspect the pin holes in mine to see if I can work out which are the originals and which might be extra. They both looked about right to me at a glance, so I thought nothing of it.

Update: I checked, and I'm not sure. I'd assume the holes with the stamped indents are the originals but those are the holes I was using, and the top looked kind of sloppy. I guess that might be why the other ones are there.

View attachment 864631

The holes on my struts where the ones that are indented. Originally, it looks like there was a plastic sleeve in each of the holes to guide the bolt in though the bracket on the bed rail, but not sure if they had those same sleeves for the extension holes as well. The lower hole on your picture looks exactly like the only hole I have on the bow end of my struts. Makes sense though if they top was too saggy that someone just extended it out and drilled new holes.

KallyLC

The holes on my struts where the ones that are indented. Originally, it looks like there was a plastic sleeve in each of the holes to guide the bolt in though the bracket on the bed rail, but not sure if they had those same sleeves for the extension holes as well. The lower hole on your picture looks exactly like the only hole I have on the bow end of my struts. Makes sense though if they top was too saggy that someone just extended it out and drilled new holes.
I think I've solved this mystery, I ran the P/N a while back and knew my cover is for an M880, but I didn't check the frame. I ran the numbers on the parts, and they're for a CUCV. I guess the M880 cover is a bit taller?

I wasn't sure if the cover and frame were bought separately by the previous owner but if they came together then it makes sense that the bows have been modded to fit the taller M880 cover.

Good thing I checked the M880 manual again, too. I have some clips on the top sides of the cover for rolling the sides up, but there's no strap to put into them. I now see I'm missing a part and roughly where it's meant to go.

1649872272106.png

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I've solved this mystery, I ran the P/N a while back and knew my cover is for an M880, but I didn't check the frame. I ran the numbers on the parts, and they're for a CUCV. I guess the M880 cover is a bit taller?

I wasn't sure if the cover and frame were bought separately by the previous owner but if they came together then it makes sense that the bows have been mudded to fit the taller M880 cover.

Good thing I checked the M880 manual again, too. I have some clips on the top sides of the cover for rolling the sides up, but there's no strap to put into them. I now see I'm missing a part and roughly where it's meant to go.

View attachment 864720
That would definitely explain the extra holes. It wouldn't be that difficult to make new struts to even go beyond what you have to snug up the top...I have seen a few CUCV covers floating around, but I don't think any of them were priced below $500....new struts might only be a 10-15 foot piece of tubular steel.

KallyLC

I've yet to try the second set of holes, but if it still doesn't fit with those then i'll definitely be making a new set of struts. The cover and cargo frame were basically free as they were just thrown in with the truck when I bought it, as long as I can make it work I can live with the M880/CUCV mismatch.

Assel

Didnt post for a long time, was too busy with other things, but I still have the M1009 and use it off salt-season ;) got her running on saturday, been sitting for 5 months, that was kind of a long winter, but not very much snow...also short video of the start ;)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks