• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

GunnyM1009

Get the bolts and washers out of the clamping plate and retain them. What about up on the frame the clamping clamps? One on each frame rail up front. I have the sway bar. Get back to me about the retainers for the sway bar. Again take some pictures.
No retainers on the frame. Im at work right now so can't get any more pictures at the moment. I can try to get some when I get off this afternoon.

Keith_J

After 10 years of owning a M1031 SECM, I finally have the PTO generator governor running like it should.

All it took was a simple geometry. The throttle actuator has about a 45° angle of throw, it had been set up all wrong, minimal linear throw. While it ran light loads fine, my 3x3500 Watt water heater element load bank dropped frequency to 50 Hz, voltage only 160 VAC at each element.
It would only run my 50 amp plasma torch at 35 amps, causing all sorts of hunting in engine speed. It did fine with my welder but I never went above 110 amps. The welder is 3 phase, the plasma torch only 120/240 single phase.

I adjusted the actuator so the linear movement is maximum. This required adjustment of push tube length so there is no free play with warm engine. Had to play with integration (I) and gain on the electronics, simple dial adjustments. Got a stable 60 to 60.4 Hz with my 9500 Watt load bank, 216 volts each phase! Then I drained the air tank to put compressor load on top. Frequency still remained above 60 Hz.

Took just a few minutes to boil the water in my Hillbilly load bank. Once disconnected, the generator spiked to 62 Hz, perfectly adequate and to be expected with the power being fed through an automatic transmission, NP205 transfer case and Muncie PTO.

I didn't feel like hooking up the plasma torch for a full test, I am confident it will handle the load. The Marathon Lima MAC generator is ideally suited for both motors and switched mode power supplies (lagging and leading power factors respectively). My water heater element load bank is purely resistive, unity power factor.

Gain set at 70%, Integral (I) at 40%, droop zero. S1 off, S2 on. Actuator set at a 45° angle off, the actuator has a 35° throw. Push rod set at minimum clearance warm engine. There will be more clearance with high idle energized.

Too much Gain causes hunting, too little causes uncontrollable droop or inability to respond to load. Integral reduces hunting.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New door panels for the m1028. Along with a new high/low beam dimmer switch on the column. Marines had a jumper across from the parking lights to headlights to get them to work. Simple 8 dollar switch and works like a charm! Changed out headlight switch while I had dash apart as well.

Keith_J

New door panels for the m1028. Along with a new high/low beam dimmer switch on the column. Marines had a jumper across from the parking lights to headlights to get them to work. Simple 8 dollar switch and works like a charm! Changed out headlight switch while I had dash apart as well.
Love the seats, custom?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks