• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

the skull

Drove around the country block just now after fixing the bulb for
the voltmeter. 65 mph, after the fueling issue fiasco last week, seems
like a different truck. If this keeps up, I'll drive it to work once or twice
a week.

gpzTurbo

Cool. Yeah, I have to agree, spending money on an amp for one of these noisemakers doesn't really make a lot of sense. They don't exactly have studio acoustics. :mrgreen:

Why the marine radio?
I used this marine radio because I don't like the factory radio location, didn't want to cut a giant hole in the center of the dash for a standard DIN size unit, and didn't want to install it in a floor or overhead console if possible. The CMS2 has a remote face panel i could mount to the center dash plate. It's also supposed to be water and vibration resistant. It's working very well so far.

NCM_0323.jpg

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
popped my steering wheel off and fixed my turn signals... kinda....

The turn signal switch metal contact was twisted.. put it back in place, worked perfectly...

Put the steering wheel back on, and back to where we were.... ugh

replaced the rear tail lights .... then moved my tag down there...

Got a LOT of stuff planned for it....

cucvrus

Installed a Tekosha Prodigy 2 electric brake controller on the 86 M1031. Replaced the seat with a newly reupholstered seat in the OEM color and stitch patern. steam pressure washed the entire vehicle. Painted the cab flat white. Replaced grille and grille trim with OEM civilian trim. Removed slave receptacle and B/O drive lamp. relocated air compressor to area above generator on front wall. I attempted to attach pictures but it always becomes a task. I like to copy and paste and that don't work so well here. I currently have 4 CUC/V's that I am working on.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
gpzTurbo - I've wanted a radio in my M1009, but have no desire to cut a huge hole in my dash or mount the radio in an awkward place. Installing a marine radio is a great idea!! Thanks for posting up and including a picture!
:) [thumbzup]:clinto:

gpzTurbo

Any time.
I'll take a pic of the brain later today. I put it in the glove box. Sometimes my floor gets wet . I wantedto keep it up and out of the way.
My 2nd product choice was the JBL marine radio - its control face is round and ffits in a guage hole. I plan on installing a tach soon and could've used a two-hole pod, one for tach one for radio face. The clarion has more features though.
I browsed crutchfield until I figured out what I wanted then bought elsewhere for less.

In addition to moisture & vibration resistance marine radios in general are supposed to have zero draw when the truck is off. Nice for if the truck will sit a while even though I've been using it almost daily . This clarion doesn't require a constant 12v input to retain the station presets . It calls only for switched power. Downside is thereis no clock.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Clarion looks like a nice radio! Which model is it? I can live without a clock; I wear a watch and carry an iPhone.
Where and how did you mount the speakers?

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Heh. There's probably not much in there. It ain't like the old days. Years ago, I talked to an engineer who worked at Motorola's automotive division. He said they could put the whole radio on a chip, but nobody would buy it because it seemed too small to actually work.

cucvrus

Speaking of the radio area in the M1009. I have been using that area to install gauges. I will atempt to put some pictures here. It works very well and I milled off the lower part of the cluster cover and made that seperate from the upper cover to ease in the instalation of the cluster with the gauges. It works well. I made a small metal piece to retain the hold on the upper piece for the screw hole that I lost during the milling. I have done this to several CUC/V's already. Oh well maybe some day it will be easier to move a picture to this message but not now. I will try some other time. I have a Tach a water temp and a oil pressure added to the cluster.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled my steering wheel off for the second time, to fix the turn signals..

Ended up just replacing the turn signal switch..Then realized that the stalk was twisted..... Jeez... privates sure do know how to screw things up....

Funny thing was... I have always been able to get steering wheels off without a puller, and yesterday I did.. But apparently, I put it on too tight last night, as I actually needed a puller...

I was banging on the steering wheel so hard the needle on the speedometer fell off!

Yup, it's a chevy..

MarcusOReallyus

Speaking of the radio area in the M1009. I have been using that area to install gauges. I will atempt to put some pictures here. It works very well and I milled off the lower part of the cluster cover and made that seperate from the upper cover to ease in the instalation of the cluster with the gauges. It works well. I made a small metal piece to retain the hold on the upper piece for the screw hole that I lost during the milling. I have done this to several CUC/V's already. Oh well maybe some day it will be easier to move a picture to this message but not now. I will try some other time. I have a Tach a water temp and a oil pressure added to the cluster.

What size gauges did you use?

fitz

I fixed the death wobble problem on my M1028.
New Spicer kingpin springs & bushings.
New Napa tie rod & drag link.
New steering stabilizer.
Adjusted the wheel bearings.
Goes down the road good for 5/4 ton truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks