• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

RobM36A2

Went to an offroad event, did not get stuck, did have a great time..
Only problem was the playgrounds in the route were too small for my big pickup.
These were designed for the little suzuki samurai toy cars..

cucvrus

Today I changed the engine oil , oil filter , fuel filter , air filter , lubed the steering linkage , checked all the fluids and went over the entire M1009. Prepared it for a long cold, snowy winter. This will be the 11th PA winter that it has been through with out incident. It has passed the 120K mark and is running as good as a new vehicle. Last week I changed the ballasts out on the glow plug system just because I have several new ones and I was needing a pair for another truck that had them removed. I think these trucks could run forever if properly maintained. I am running Goodyear MTR Kevlar 31 10.50 15 stock tire size on stock rims. Everything works as designed and the machine just keeps on rolling.

Keith_J

image.jpgimage.jpgVersion 2.0 fabricated CUCV receiver hitch, no holes drilled model.
A while back, I needed to tow my little 2000 pound civy trailer with my 1031 so I fabricated a receiver type with a flange welded to the end of a standard receiver tube. It worked fine for a 200 pound tongue but recently it was used to pull a 7k double axle with a 2700 pound car on it, I noticed the tube was sagging. So I got some 3/8" plate and the welder. All welds are GTAW full penetration groove, most double welded, front and back. Only exception is the tube to flange, it is still full penetration.

two more bolts, utilizing the two holes in the bottom flange of the bumper, attach the hitch to the truck. Everything is grade 8, domestic with nylocking nuts.

think it will work with a 7 k trailer now?

cucvrus

That looks really good. I did the same thing to an M1031 and M1028. It worked just fine I used the M1028 for 10 years just like you have it set up in your pictures. No problem. You made it look good also. Most home jobs look sloppy and have poor welds. That long drop on the hitch gives that weight a lot of leverage. I think you have it covered now. Great Job.

Keith_J

Thanks for the compliments! I've been welding since the early 1980s. I learned on oxyacetylene, graduated to GTAW in the 90s and bought my own machine 3 years ago.

All metal was cut with 14" abrasive chop saw, double weld bevels done on bench grinder. Autogeneous root pass (no filler, melted base) opens up for the fill pass.

The only thing slowing me down was the air cooled torch running 160 amps. I really need a water cooled torch for such heavy production welding. Then I wouldn't have time to drink beer while the torch is cooling down ;)

Oh, oh, my welder (Miller Dynasty 200DX) was being powered by my MEP 002A. In 208 volt three phase setting. It can run on 120 to 480 volts, single or three phase. Nothing in the documentation said 208 three phase was acceptable but with no voltage selection switch (inverter type welder), it doesn't matter. Especially running GTAW, it doesn't draw more than 10 amperes in three phase. Running SMAW, it puts a good load on the generator.

Last edited:

forest522

Drove to work yesterday and was involved in a three car collision on the highway. The usual traffic exiting the highway...one car failed to stop, hit the car behind me who was pushed into me. That little Ford Focus hit a real steel bumper and well...you can imagine who received the most damage. My powdercoated CUCV bumper got some paint transfer, scuffs and a little bent but the whole front end of the Focus, including hood, was crumpled.

Steel good. No injuries thankfully!

MarcusOReallyus

That little Ford Focus hit a real steel bumper and well...you can imagine who received the most damage. My powdercoated CUCV bumper got some paint transfer, scuffs and a little bent but the whole front end of the Focus, including hood, was crumpled.

Heh. Back in the early 60s my mom drove a '48 Chevy sedan. (Straight six, Three in the Tree vacuum assist shifter. She was a terror! :mrgreen:)

She got rear ended by a new pickup. She won about the same way you did. :D

cucvrus

This past week was a bad week for broken CUCV'S. The M1009 yard truck had a broken left rear leaf spring and a cut shock absorber. Two plys in the leaf spring broke and turned over and cut the oil chamber of the shock absorber. That was any easy fix. I had a used set of springs and disassembled both sets and made one good set. The main spring was not broken so no need to go through the horror of changing the entire assembly. This truck has not seen highway since 1999 and just keeps chugging along. Two new shocks and it is back at work. It gets run 40+ hours each week and has very little down time. Flat tires are always the main event. About 1 flat tire every 2 weeks.
Yesterday I noticed the tell tale signs of oil spots on the tailgate of my daily work truck M1008. I took a look up under the truck and saw motor oil on everything. I check the oil daily and it never seems to be low. I guess a little oil goes a long way to make a huge mess. Anyway the truck is in the shop and we are changing the rear main seal on the engine. The parts were not in stock and will be here tomorrow or it would be completed today. That is a fairly easy job. Dirty and messy but easy. First one I did in 10 years. I think it is the OEM seal. Did not pull the rear cap yet. If you care I will keep you in the know. Keep them rolling. Good PM is the key to long life.

rsh4364

Drove to work yesterday and was involved in a three car collision on the highway. The usual traffic exiting the highway...one car failed to stop, hit the car behind me who was pushed into me. That little Ford Focus hit a real steel bumper and well...you can imagine who received the most damage. My powdercoated CUCV bumper got some paint transfer, scuffs and a little bent but the whole front end of the Focus, including hood, was crumpled.

Glad to hear everyones ok.Last year my neighbor backed his focus into my open tailgate on my 1009,I looked at his car and thought there is no way tailgate will close right,but it didn't hurt it at all,his trunk smashed in a good 6-8 inches..We were both amazed I had no damage!

Mfriguy

image.jpgPut the ambulance up on 37 inch military tires and continued my overlander build. I am looking to sell 2 gurneys / litters from a 1984 m1010 but not sure how to post on classifieds or how to get permission to post. Any one interested please message me. I will have other parts for sale too.

Attachments

cucvrus

There is a $15.00 seller fee that must be paid to the site. I had several (12) of the aluminum gurneys. They ended up being sold for scrap. I know that Recovery 4 X 4 was looking for the M1010 litter strap hold downs a while back. Don't know if you have them. Thought I would mention it. What do you use that truck for? I am asking because I made pick up trucks out of 5 of the M1010's that I had in the past. It's your truck do what you want with it. Good luck with your project.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to have to assume that I got a text from you in regards to ambulance parts. Been weeks getting ready for the GA rally and it just slipped my mind. Reply forthcoming.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks