• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

jpg

In the wintertime Northeastern US, you need a shovel even when 2-wheeling on the paved roads. I got my kids collapsible snow shovels for Christmas (among other things). They were somewhat underwhelmed when they opened the packages. Then we got another 7 feet of snow. The shovels saw a lot of use, and I got big belated "thank yous". The 4-wheeling shovels are heavier, of course. A full MV tool kit with shovel, axe and mattock is on my to-purchase list.
shovel.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

In the wintertime Northeastern US, you need a shovel even when 2-wheeling on the paved roads. I got my kids collapsible snow shovels for Christmas (among other things). A full MV tool kit with shovel, axe and mattock is on my to-purchase list.
View attachment 559615
These are "avalanche shovels" designed for light-and-tight packing for high country skiers. But they are not light-duty (at least not the good ones). They can be handy in a pinch.

REI carries these. Here's a link http://www.rei.com/search.html?ir=q:Avalanche+shovel&page=1&q=Avalanche+shovel

corvette9

Not just today but the last few weekends. fixed some frame problems. Painted the frame, new fuel tank, new mufflers and tail pipes,new shocks. I'm putting bed liner on the cab floors now. My painter is in my booth now getting the bed ready for paint top to bottom before it go's back on the truck for good. After some unexpected problems that I took care of the truck is starting to come together.
Brian G.

IMG_8329.jpgIMG_8330.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brian, before you bolt that bed back on, can you show us where the VIN is stamped in the frame?
Thanks

corvette9

It's on top of the rt frame rail just in front of the main crossmember where the ft spring mount is. I can't say they are all stamped there but I'd bet GM did stamp all trucks in the same place. Mine matchs all the other tags. If I rememeber I'll take a pic in the morning.

cucvrus

Man you put a lot of work into that old girl. She is looking proud again. I remeber when I bought that truck I drove it all the way home from Georgia towing another truck on the tow bar. It drove like a new truck. It only had a few thousand miles on it back then. Come to think of it I drove a lot better back then. That was 20 years ago. But I gotta say it looks really good. Talk about making a silk purse out of a sows ear you are doing it. Good job.

Baer

Yesterday I put some 35 inch Cooper's under my M1008. It's tight, infect it rubs a little then turning on a slope or braking while turning. So Monday it just might be time to look for a lift kit.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's on top of the rt frame rail just in front of the main crossmember where the ft spring mount is. I can't say they are all stamped there but I'd bet GM did stamp all trucks in the same place. Mine matchs all the other tags. If I rememeber I'll take a pic in the morning.
A pic would help. Lots of misleading info on the location.

Baer

I'll take that as "Make do with what you've got." (Or is that a "Do what ya gota do." Another Ahab? Or is this your way of saying "lift it"? Or is she showing 35 inches? Or is this simply "Duh"? I could be reading too much into it. You may just like old time pictures.)

Last edited:

RobM36A2

Well, had a 4x4 evening/night tour a few days back.
Did not see any mud, but plenty of dust.
Did not need to put it in 4x4, except to take some load of the driveline in loose sand.

joshuak

Baer, I think the lady in her skivvies is meant to take a pic of your newly acquired and installed 35" tires and then maybe you share the pic? Although that camera doesn't look digital, may have to scan it.

I second the motion, pic's are always fun and I'm debating tire size change on my '09. [thumbzup]

Baer

Joshuak pic's maybe fun but I'm old and having trouble adding them to my message. 35" is about as big as you can go and still be in the wheel well. As it is even with trimming the fenders my 315/75-16E Discovers rub in the turns and while braking. To stop this I'm having to add a 2 1/2 inch Rough Country High Rise (I'm trying to keep the height down since my wife is only 4' 10").

rsh4364

Bought a younger brother for my 85 1009.An 86 1009 with 39k miles,its also ex-fire dept. red with reflective white stripe. Whats funny is I don't like red cars but all my cars are red.

Baer

Bought a younger brother for my 85 1009.An 86 1009 with 39k miles,its also ex-fire dept. red with reflective white stripe. Whats funny is I don't like red cars but all my cars are red.
That's an easy fix. Most military paint jobs look like they were done with rattle cans anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks